Adam Reynolds

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if I swap Bobby McCarthy for Adam Reynolds, using the same logic, Souths junior, 211 matches for Souths over 13 years, was 30 years old when he came to play for us, Souths won 4 Premierships while he was playing for them, the first season McCarthy played for us we made the semi finals.

Is Reynolds or McCarthy the more quintessential Souths player?

Go Dogs
McCarthy played 206 with Souths before he played just 40 games for the Dogs then most importantly for the sake of this discussion he went back to South's and played 5 games. I think that will tell you that his heart and soul was always with South's which proves my point. He also did not play on much after this when he got injured which ended his career.

I just think Reynolds' heart won't be all in it for his new club like he did with South's and he won't reach the personal heights he achieved there for his new club. He won't be the same player and is definitely not worth the risk at $800k with a battered body that may not see out his new contract.

In contrast both sound like they will have very similar endings.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
So if I swap Bobby McCarthy for Adam Reynolds, using the same logic, Souths junior, 211 matches for Souths over 13 years, was 30 years old when he came to play for us, Souths won 4 Premierships while he was playing for them, the first season McCarthy played for us we made the semi finals.
McCarthy played 206 with Souths before he played just 40 games for the Dogs then most importantly in regards to this discussion he went back to South's and played 5 games. I think that will tell you that his heart and soul was always with South's which proves my point..
It actually disproves your point, McCarthy made a massive difference to us on the field and even more so off the field. Despite his life long love for Souths he came to us, put in the effort and we reaped the rewards.

It's not just McCarthy, there's plenty of other examples, Stuart, Clyde and all the way back to Kevin Ryan are players with long term associations to other clubs that came to us and contributed to our success.

I just think Reynolds' heart won't be all in it for his new club like he did with South's and he won't reach the personal heights he achieved there for his new club. He won't be the same player and is definitely not worth the risk of $800k imo.
I don't know what his contract value would be, he might takes less per year for 2 years than he would for 1, or he might take even less per year for 2 years plus a 1 year option in our favour. Maybe he's so pissed with Souths that he will take even less and try even harder just so he can stick it up their noses and prove them wrong. If the price is too high then it's too high, but it has no relevance to whether he plays good for us despite his long association with Souths. Plenty of others have.

Go Dogs

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Townsend to nth q
Reynolds to parra
Moses to bne
Dearden to nth q
Johnson to resign with nulla
Lewis to jobseeker

The great halves movement of 2022
Your'e probably on the mark, id even say that the self-appointed "Prince of Belmore" will be at the Broncos. They've had a crack at him before he re-signed with the dogs.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Your'e probably on the mark, id even say that the self-appointed "Prince of Belmore" at the Broncos. They've had a crack at him before he re-signed with the dogs.
he should have took the deal, but waaay too much pressure with his old uncle wally there

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I still can’t believe that Souths are willing to let him go! Big mistake!
I don't get it either. I've heard that they're so confident in Taafe and their other juniors taking over that they think there won't be a drop off. They're also worried Reynolds can't train week to week because of ongoing knee and leg injuries over the years and that he won't hold up on a two year deal.

I think it's worth the risk for them to give him the two years as they're in their premiership window, he's the perfect compliment to Walker and Latrell and he's a match winner. Without Reynolds they'd be nowhere near as good and I think they underestimate how important he is to their teams success.

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't get it either. I've heard that they're so confident in Taafe and their other juniors taking over that they think there won't be a drop off. They're also worried Reynolds can't train week to week because of ongoing knee and leg injuries over the years and that he won't hold up on a two year deal.

I think it's worth the risk for them to give him the two years as they're in their premiership window, he's the perfect compliment to Walker and Latrell and he's a match winner. Without Reynolds they'd be nowhere near as good and I think they underestimate how important he is to their teams success.
Plus the fact that he has to be one of the best goal kickers in the comp. The way he has been playing, I think he has a good 2 years left in him. I thought he was one of Russell Crowes favourite. I think Souths will go downhill real fast without him!

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Hey twin flogs, not as risky as it is now. $800k is a big hole in the cap if it back fires.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Plus the fact that he has to be one of the best goal kickers in the comp. The way he has been playing, I think he has a good 2 years left in him. I thought he was one of Russell Crowes favourite. I think Souths will go downhill real fast without him!
And his general kicking plus field goal kicking are probably the best in the comp. Expecting a rookie to replace that is asking a lot

Docta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We cannot persevere with flannagan beyond this year....we need to accept him for what he is...a poor half! Time to cut our losses and do whatever we can to bring Reynolds over....to manger the team with burton. Make him an offer 800k x 3 years....and bring him to Belmore!

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We cannot persevere with flannagan beyond this year....we need to accept him for what he is...a poor half! Time to cut our losses and do whatever we can to bring Reynolds over....to manger the team with burton. Make him an offer 800k x 3 years....and bring him to Belmore!
I’m warming to the idea of Reynolds.
He is a match winner.

I originally thought that it would be worth persisting with Flanagan if he could do a job, purely because of his contract price and youth but it looks like he might be better utilised as a back up half the way he is playing.

A half of Adam Reynolds caliber doesn’t come around very often.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah Flanagan might one day turn into a decent first grader, but it isn't right now.

We need an old head in the spine to help us to win, I'm all for this.

Docta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Interesting to hear that cowboys have, or are very close to signing, Tom Deardon, from Broncos for the halves.

Wondering how that impacts on their quest for Reynolds...won’t saying they won’t still be after him but they will have less $$$ in the kitty and be less desperate for his services

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Reynolds is available at 750k a season, it would honestly be a stupid decision if we don't make a play. In 2008 we signed a 32 year old Brett Kimmorley who with all due respect isn't as good as Adam is. We went from 16th to 2nd on the ladder. He played State of Origin both years he was with us. You don't go from the bottom of the table to the top of it by signing the Kyle Flannagans and Corey Wadells of the world. They are third rate stars at best. Luke Brooks is getting 900k per season. The halfback market is one of the hardest positions to get a good deal on. 750k for Reynolds is a steal.

I'd argue paying 1.2m for Reynolds serves winning better than paying someone like Flanagan 300k. Average halves dont win comps. I'm sick of buying "for the future". This isn't the NBA or NFL where being sh1t rewards you with a high draft pick. You don't get bird rights or movement restrictions on players you develop. Signing good young players with potential only works once you're good. You go out and get the best available players.

Everyone thinks that Burton coming over is going to change a pathetic team into a contender. The guy has barely played 10 first grade games. If were paying 400k to Burton, 400k to Flanagan and 800k to Reynolds that's 1.6m to cover our halves including a back up of one gets injured. It's not the most reckless spending. Melbourne were paying more than that for Cronk and Munster alone. Roosters were paying more than that for Keary and Cronk alone. Cowboys gave a million each to Morgan and JT.

If our spine is something like
1. DWZ/JAC/ALLEN/AVERILLO
6. BURTON/FLANAGAN
7. REYNOLDS
9. CHEAP HOOKER (Dietz,Topine,JMK)

It's better than

1. DWZ/JAC/ALLEN/AVERILLO
6. BURTON
7. FLANAGAN
9. ANY HOOKER YA'LL ARE WILLING TO PAY 1MILLION+ FOR (looking at you Brandon Smith)

TL:DR: Signing Reynolds at 750k is a must if you want to get better
This post hurts.