Official Adam Elliott statement

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury have announced they’re standing by Adam Elliott after he became embroiled in an off-field tryst with former teammate Michael Lichaa’s partner.

Adam Elliott has saved his rugby league career by admitting he has issues with alcohol and has vowed to seek professional help.
The Bulldogs board have announced they’re standing by the NRL forward after he became embroiled in an off-field tryst with former teammate Michael Lichaa’s partner.

The Canterbury management went public by admitting they failed to condone Elliott’s behaviour, however, they decided against fining the 26-year-old on the basis that he steps forward, owns his issues and commences alcohol rehabilitation.

The club are unable to confirm if Elliott will be ruled out of any pre-season trial matches or the start of the season until he meets with health professionals, which is expected to commence as soon as today.

Before announcing their decision, the Bulldogs sought approval from the NRL.

A club statement on Saturday read: “Upon consultation with the NRL and the NRL Integrity Unit, the Club can report that there will be no formal breach from the NRL.

“The Bulldogs would like to thank the NRL in regard to their cooperation and support regarding this matter.

“In response to what has taken place, the Bulldogs have conducted their own review and have decided that Adam will undertake professional help in regard to issues with alcohol, with the Bulldogs to provide full support including a strict monitoring process.

“The club does not condone Adam’s actions which have had a negative impact on the club and its supporters, however, we acknowledge that Adam has taken full responsibility for his actions and we are supportive of assisting Adam in ensuring he receives the welfare support and help that he requires”.

Elliott endorsed the steps laid out by the club, stating: “This is an extremely difficult time for my family and I. They are my most important focus at the moment and I ask that people can respect mine and my family’s privacy at this time.

“In consultation with the club, I will be undertaking the necessary help that I require with appropriate measures and checks.

“I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise to all Bulldogs members, fans and sponsors about recent events. I have brought unnecessary attention to the club at a time when we are preparing hard for the season”.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs to provide full support including a strict monitoring process
Hmmm, I wonder what this entails. Merely checking he has attended counseling sessions or actually insisting he doesn't drink and doing some form of random testing?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The old slap on the wrist... anyway time to move on now. Round 1 fast approaching.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We got the apology and some contrition, albeit the standard generic press release (my family my main concern) and he did not front up publicly, but happy the club will monitor him (babysit?).

Doesn't say anything about the leadership group tho. I don't think he deserves to remain on that.

Anyone not satisfied with the outcome should accept the club's decision
..but....if he is involved in any further stuff ups, they have now placed that responsibility back on to their decision.

Hope he has a huge season to re-pay the club.

Last edited:

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s the best outcome. While I think he’s an idiot, I wouldn’t want him to get punished anymore than the public embarrassment he’s copped along with the trouble it’s caused him and his partner and the mending process between the couple which will take a long time for Adam to regain the trust from his misses. We need him mentally focused and ready to play football and the club has taken the correct approach.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This seems like a measured response, taking everything into consideration (including potential unintended consequences from getting too heavy-handed). I imagine all the key interests have been widely consulted beforehand. It's probably time to move on.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He will fuck up again. May not be this year or next but it will come.
And if he does and it’s representing the club then they will do something about it but this has nothing to do with the club. Wasn’t at a function, or away with the club. He is a good player hopefully stays injury free most of season

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He will fuck up again. May not be this year or next but it will come.
100% Club is playing it safe and displaying how supportive they are so they have all the approval to get rid of him next time..

He is so lucky this is a different board this time around.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got to keep the media happy statement.

Last edited: