• Yes

Votes: 344 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 8.3%

• Total voters

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Billionaire sponsor’s anger at Adam Elliott axing at Canterbury Bulldogs | Daily Telegraph

Phil Rothfield
Billionaire publican and club sponsor Arthur Laundy has spoken of his disappointment over the sacking of Adam Elliott from the Canterbury Bulldogs.

“I’ve told the club I’m extremely disappointed,” Laundy said.

“I don’t like kicking a person when they’re down. The guy’s had some problems, all of them alcohol-related, not criminal. It was stupidity more than anything else. He gets a few beers on board and has problems with that.”

Laundy revealed he contacted Bulldogs chairman John Khoury, general manager Phil Gould and board member Joe Thomas to try to save Elliott.

“I argued my point the best I could,” Laundy said. “Perhaps I’m wrong but I’ve had a lot of experience over 60 years with this sort of thing from being in pubs.

“I’ve always tried hard to assist people with their problems but they thought he’d had enough chances. I’ve got to accept it’s their decision.”

Laundy said it would not affect his commitment to the club as major sponsor on the front of the Bulldogs jersey. He has mentored Elliott since the beginning of the season and insists they will remain close.

“We’ve talked every Thursday afternoon,” Laundy said. “He was off the grog for over seven months. He’s an intelligent guy. He’s a physiotherapist. He was a school captain. I honestly think he’s a good person.”

Laundy gave The Sunday Telegraph a copy of a text message Elliott had sent him.

“I know I said it earlier mate but I don’t want you to think it’s just words. Can’t say how much I appreciate your mentorship and support. I promise, no matter what, I’ll make you proud from here on end.”

Laundy replied: “You are my buddy and always will be.”
Does anyone else see the irony in Laundy supporting an alcoholic.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Uncle Arthur shut your mouth and poor yourself a scooner, your job is to hand over money and nothing else, know your place old man.
This isn't a dictatorship he has a right to speak his mind.

Elliott was probably very likeable but unfortunately it has gone pear shaped for him.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This isn't a dictatorship he has a right to speak his mind.

Elliott was probably very likeable but unfortunately it has gone pear shaped for him.
It's not a dictatorship, it's a football club. And Laundy is nothing more than a sponsor.. He shouldn't be undermining the club in the media. You don't hear other clubs sponsors speaking out like this and they actually pay for the full sponsorship..

Laundy barely pays for his sponsorship and he carries on like he owns the club.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Billionaire sponsor’s anger at Adam Elliott axing at Canterbury Bulldogs | Daily Telegraph

Phil Rothfield
Billionaire publican and club sponsor Arthur Laundy has spoken of his disappointment over the sacking of Adam Elliott from the Canterbury Bulldogs.

“I’ve told the club I’m extremely disappointed,” Laundy said.

“I don’t like kicking a person when they’re down. The guy’s had some problems, all of them alcohol-related, not criminal. It was stupidity more than anything else. He gets a few beers on board and has problems with that.”

Laundy revealed he contacted Bulldogs chairman John Khoury, general manager Phil Gould and board member Joe Thomas to try to save Elliott.

“I argued my point the best I could,” Laundy said. “Perhaps I’m wrong but I’ve had a lot of experience over 60 years with this sort of thing from being in pubs.

“I’ve always tried hard to assist people with their problems but they thought he’d had enough chances. I’ve got to accept it’s their decision.”

Laundy said it would not affect his commitment to the club as major sponsor on the front of the Bulldogs jersey. He has mentored Elliott since the beginning of the season and insists they will remain close.

“We’ve talked every Thursday afternoon,” Laundy said. “He was off the grog for over seven months. He’s an intelligent guy. He’s a physiotherapist. He was a school captain. I honestly think he’s a good person.”

Laundy gave The Sunday Telegraph a copy of a text message Elliott had sent him.

“I know I said it earlier mate but I don’t want you to think it’s just words. Can’t say how much I appreciate your mentorship and support. I promise, no matter what, I’ll make you proud from here on end.”

Laundy replied: “You are my buddy and always will be.”
Elliott should just go ahead and ask Laundy for a pub lol I bet he’d give him one

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
It's not a dictatorship, it's a football club. And Laundy is nothing more than a sponsor.. He shouldn't be undermining the club in the media. You don't hear other clubs sponsors speaking out like this and they actually pay for the full sponsorship..

Laundy barely pays for his sponsorship and he carries on like he owns the club.
Yeah, most sponsors just use the media to kick us when we’re down after walking away from us (ie Rashays and Jaycar).

Laundy is a fully paid sponsor. He negotiated to not pay during the first test, from memory. Which was a pretty good piece If business, tbh. At least he’s not walking away now he hasn’t gotten his way. It’s good to have someone in the public eye speaking kindly about Elliott following the over the top witch hunt if the past month or so.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah, most sponsors just use the media to kick us when we’re down after walking away from us (ie Rashays and Jaycar).

Laundy is a fully paid sponsor. He negotiated to not pay during the first test, from memory. Which was a pretty good piece If business, tbh. At least he’s not walking away now he hasn’t gotten his way. It’s good to have someone in the public eye speaking kindly about Elliott following the over the top witch hunt if the past month or so.
He's not a fully paid sponsor. He got the sponsorship for nothing last year and dirt cheap this season. He's paying cents on the dollar for the sponsorship

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He's not a fully paid sponsor. He got the sponsorship for nothing last year and dirt cheap this season. He's paying cents on the dollar for the sponsorship
Considering we played 2020 with a blank front jersey, I’d say he’s paying above market value.,

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who is this new sponsor they’re talking about. Hopefully it replaces Laundy. He whinged about the Anderson’s, he whinged about Elliott, does he realise this causes more instability.

He apparently has hundreds of staff, if Elliott is such a good bloke then employ him in your own business Arthur and give him unlimited chances there.
I know I have said this before
The club must send our jersey to the LAUNDRY to clean of the LAUNDY :laughing:

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well first of all he didn’t get sacked.

But he did get asked to show cause as to why he he shouldn’t be after attracting his second? or was it third? Breach Notice issued by The NRL after investigation by their Integrity Unit.

And I would think any player would understand attracting multiple Breach Notices from The NRL is gonna jeopardise their contract no matter who they play for.

Don’t you?

Or do you need further explanation.
We all know he was effectively sacked. It's semantics.
It would be his second breach because it was announced that there was nothing they could do at the beginning of the year as it was a personal issue.

Generally, the NRL has a 3 strike rule, so to say that "kissing a girl" / covid breach is worthy of sacking does not meet the smell test. Does it to you?

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong I wanted Elliot gone. His shit has been destabilising the team for several years and would have only been worse in close quarter bubbles in Queensland.

How this played out is good signs that the Dogs are developing a strong culture and sticking to it. Whether Laundy says something or not it shows the Dogs will not make squad decisions simply to keep sponsors on side.

What Grogfield wanted to portray was that was dissension at the top that will lead to destabilisation. He has to do this because in fact it is looking that the club is just going from strength to strength and getting rid of the weakest links on the way.
The club should have gotten tough when Napa turned up to training "under the weather". Perhaps if they had done that then, Elliott MAY not have gone to the extreme of kissing a girl.

Reactions: ATT

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Buzz Rothfield:

Billionaire sponsor’s anger at Adam Elliott axing at Canterbury Bulldogs. Billionaire publican and club sponsor Arthur Laundy has revealed why he tried to save Adam Elliott from being axed by the Bulldogs.

Check out all the latest NRL chatter and more. “I’ve told the club I’m extremely disappointed,” Laundy said. “I don’t like kicking a person when they’re down. The guy’s had some problems, all of them alcohol-related, not criminal.

It was stupidity more than anything else.

He gets a few beers on board and has problems with that.” Laundy revealed he contacted Bulldogs chairman John Khoury, general manager Phil Gould and board member Joe Thomas to try to save Elliott.

“I’ve always tried hard to assist people with their problems but they thought he’d had enough chances. I’ve got to accept it’s their decision.” Laundy said it would not affect his commitment to the club as major sponsor on the front of the Bulldogs jersey. He has mentored Elliott since the beginning of the season and insists they will remain close. “We’ve talked every Thursday afternoon,” Laundy said.

“He was off the grog for over seven months.

He’s an intelligent guy. He’s a physiotherapist.

He was a school captain. I honestly think he’s a good person.” Laundy gave The Sunday Telegraph a copy of a text message Elliott had sent him. “I know I said it earlier mate but I don’t want you to think it’s just words. Can’t say how much I appreciate your mentorship and support. I promise, no matter what, I’ll make you proud from here on end.” Laundy replied: “You are my buddy and always will be.”
Where's the anger bit, Booz?

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A sponsor who thinks he bigger then the club.

Elliott had 3 strikes against his name for other alcohol issues and has cost the club thousands of dollars in sponsorship because of his idiot behaviour no loss with Elliott gone at all .

Maybe Laundy needs to look at sponsors from other clubs they don't run to the media when there club make a decision with sacking a player he needs to let it go and move forward like the club is doing
We know about Mad Monday & we know he didn't get a strike against him for the Lichaa incident as the club & NRL said, so what was the other(s) one(s)?

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can you rock up to training sessions in pre
Season pending Covid restrictions. I feel the team can really learn off your knowledge. We are all in awe of it here.
Maybe you could ask for a train and trial contract and take up Elliots spot
No, it's going to Nasheed.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
You are aware that Adam Idiot breached the NRL and Covid rules, right?
So what? Does everyone get sacked who breached the ridiculous rules? It's about time we took back our life and stopped dictatorial ideology imposing their will on us. The fact the players all warm up in the sheds maskless, then have to put a stupid mask on to run only the field and throw them often on the ground to the stadium entrance should be proof enough that imbeciles invented these ridiculous bubble rules and what all the Clubs have to do is say yes sir no sir three bags full sir outwardly, but inwardly everyone knows it's a great big joke.
So BIG DEAL Adam broke the stupid rules. So does every player that kisses his wife without his mask on when he's just finished a game.
Build a bridge and get over it. No need to sack a guy over a kissing breach of the covid rules invented by dopes with an IQ of 26.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
What you dopes don't realise is that the playing group see all this, the lack of support for CHN, Okky and now Elliot and say...well we know the Dogs wouldnt stick hard with me....so why the fuck should I show them any loyalty? The first chance I get a contract opportunity I will leave the joint. THATS what Laundy is trying to avoid, but you imbeciles have no idea of building comraderie.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As a fan of the Bulldogs I'm disappointed every time Laundy opens his mouth.