News ACT Government fine Raiders $150k for taking a game to Wagga and breaching contract.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
What an absolute joke!!

NRL should pocket this fine...

So much for talking the game up and trying to grow the game in regional areas!!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/f130ecbe7c77ad68882f92395efa1603

They’re shaking their heads in Wagga Wagga — the NSW country town set to host the round eight clash between the Raiders and Panthers.

How, they ask, does the ACT Government have the audacity to fine the Raiders $150,000 for taking one of their home games — just one of 12 — to the bush?

The benefits are enormous both to rugby league and the Riverina more broadly.

And as Group 9 Operations Manager Bob Hay questions almost in disbelief, “Do they know where their food comes from?”

“[The fine] Seems surprising given that the Raiders are doing their best to support the development of the game in country and regional areas,” Hay tells foxsports.com.au.

“Surely the ACT Government are able to look at the bigger picture developing and growing the game which helps future proof their arrangements.

“There has already been huge interest in the Raiders game in Wagga Wagga which I am sure will have some long term benefits to the games development, which in turn will benefit the Raiders and the ACT Government in the longer term.

“Given the ACT gets plenty of access to sporting events, surely they can see the benefits to allowing just one of these Raiders games going to a rural area. Do they know where their food comes from?”

Thankfully, the Raiders have confirmed the game will still be played at McDonald’s Park despite the state government pressure, which CEO Don Furner has described as disappointing.

They have refused to comment on whether they intend to pay the fine, but it’s likely they’re lobbying the NRL to intervene.

Hay has implored the game’s governing body to protect the Raiders from the financial hit, saying it could have a negative flow-on effect in regards to clubs interest in taking games to regional areas.

“Hopefully the NRL can step in and help resolve this problem as the Raiders certainly don’t deserve to be penalised for helping grow the game,” he says.

“And I’d ask the ACT Government to please reconsider this and do your bit to help support rural communities instead of taking a position that could hinder the game’s development and growth.”

Hay’s comments follow those from NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro, who went as far as to suggest the Raiders consider moving back to their former base at Queanbeyan’s Seiffert Oval.

“The ACT isn’t an island. The Raiders are the NRL team for thousands of fans in Southern NSW. Many of the Raiders’ greatest players are sons of regional NSW,” Barilaro said.

“Stars like Junee’s Laurie Daley or Queanbeyan’s Terry Campese and Ricky Stuart are titans of the game.

“If this is how the ACT government is going to treat the Raiders and their fans, then maybe it’s time to start thinking about bringing the Raiders back to Seiffert Oval and the investment it would take to make that happen.”

In a statement carried by Fairfax Media, ACT sport minister Yvette Berry said they have imposed the fine because of the ACT community’s investment in the stadium and the team.

“The ACT government values its longstanding relationship with the Raiders and the benefits they bring the Canberra community, including the major cross-border investment for the new Canberra District Rugby League centre of excellence and community hub,” Berry said.

“Although we support the intent of the Raiders in reaching out to the broader region, it is a requirement of our funding agreement that they play each home NRL game at [Canberra] Stadium given the major investment the ACT community makes in both the stadium and the team.”

We’ve reached out to the NRL for comment.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Heard them discussing this on the Talkin Sport show.

Seems a bit ridiculous to not at least give dispensation for this one game in the country. The ACT government need to pull their heads out of their arse, taking one game ONE game to another area to promote it should be applauded. "A requirement of funding" -just where do they think they get that money to fund things....from the general population and the payment of their taxes. Stuff the government ; why don't they ask the community what they think....

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The government is just as moronic and backwards as the nrlol is.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
One had to get to the end of this waffle to get to the most important point- that the Raiders have a contract/agreement with the ACT government to pay a certain number of games at Canberra. The ACT government should be able to protect its interests.

I grew up near wagga wagga and I know the massive contributions groups 9 17 and 20 make to the Raiders, and it's a great idea to take a game there, but the Raiders and NRL need to sort that out when its negotiating use of the Csnberra Stadium.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
One had to get to the end of this waffle to get to the most important point- that the Raiders have a contract/agreement with the ACT government to pay a certain number of games at Canberra. The ACT government should be able to protect its interests.

I grew up near wagga wagga and I know the massive contributions groups 9 17 and 20 make to the Raiders, and it's a great idea to take a game there, but the Raiders and NRL need to sort that out when its negotiating use of the Csnberra Stadium.
Yeah isn't TK all about a 'contract is a contract' after this off-season? :laughing:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah isn't TK all about a 'contract is a contract' after this off-season? :laughing:
I was going to add in a bit about that.

I was also going to add that as most of you are NSW residents, you would hope the government would be looking after your interests, and not sat, those of the ACT, Victoria, QLD etc.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I was going to add in a bit about that.

I was also going to add that as most of you are NSW residents, you would hope the government would be looking after your interests, and not sat, those of the ACT, Victoria, QLD etc.
i dont care about nsw, i dont even watch state of origin ffs