News Absolutely farcical’ bunker decision shows that the NRL has lost the plot

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL fans have blown up after a star player was placed on report for what many believed was nothing more than a normal tackle.

The NRL has completely ‘lost the plot’ with commentators and fans blowing up after a Canterbury Bulldogs star was placed on report on Sunday against the Gold Coast Titans.
Hooker Reed Mahoney’s name was written into the book for a hip drop tackle in an incident that left former NRL player Michael Ennis scratching his head.

Hip drops have caused unprecedented backlash throughout the 2023 season with the league only days ago releasing an explainer as to what constitutes a hip drop tackle.

It’s clear the disconnect remains after Mahoney was placed on report for what many watching on believed to be nothing more than a straight forward tackle.

Mahoney placed a tackle on Titans player Moe Fotuaika that the bunker reviewed and ultimately resulted in the Bulldogs hooker being placed on report, but not sent to the sin bin.

Just moments later Mahoney was ran through by Tino Fa’asuamaleaui who raised his forearm directly into the head of his opponent.

The Bunker reviewed the incident and gave it the all clear before Mahoney was sent for a HIA.

“You can’t do that, he raises the forearm straight into the face of Reed Mahoney,” Ennis said.

“I am bewildered that wasn’t a penalty.”

The Titans went down the field shortly after and extended their lead to rub salt into the wounds for the Bulldogs.

The two baffling decisions that went against the Bulldogs saw a frosty exchange unfold between NRL experts Greg Alexander, Corey Parker and Braith Anasta on Fox League.

“Well it was a forearm to the head. He knocked him out. Are you allowed to do that?” Alexander said.

Parker responded: “Every front rower in the game initiates contact. It’s not up to Tino to then determine where Reed Mahoney puts his head.”

Anasta interjected: “He looked him in the eye.”

Parker continued: “You saw him look him in the eye? That will do me.”

Alexander hit back: “Every front rower might lift their arm, but they don’t knock the defender out which is exactly what happened there.”

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
NRL fans have blown up after a star player was placed on report for what many believed was nothing more than a normal tackle.

The NRL has completely ‘lost the plot’ with commentators and fans blowing up after a Canterbury Bulldogs star was placed on report on Sunday against the Gold Coast Titans.
Hooker Reed Mahoney’s name was written into the book for a hip drop tackle in an incident that left former NRL player Michael Ennis scratching his head.

Hip drops have caused unprecedented backlash throughout the 2023 season with the league only days ago releasing an explainer as to what constitutes a hip drop tackle.

It’s clear the disconnect remains after Mahoney was placed on report for what many watching on believed to be nothing more than a straight forward tackle.

Mahoney placed a tackle on Titans player Moe Fotuaika that the bunker reviewed and ultimately resulted in the Bulldogs hooker being placed on report, but not sent to the sin bin.

Just moments later Mahoney was ran through by Tino Fa’asuamaleaui who raised his forearm directly into the head of his opponent.

The Bunker reviewed the incident and gave it the all clear before Mahoney was sent for a HIA.

“You can’t do that, he raises the forearm straight into the face of Reed Mahoney,” Ennis said.

The Titans went down the field shortly after and extended their lead to rub salt into the wounds for the Bulldogs.

The two baffling decisions that went against the Bulldogs saw a frosty exchange unfold between NRL experts Greg Alexander, Corey Parker and Braith Anasta on Fox League.

“Well it was a forearm to the head. He knocked him out. Are you allowed to do that?” Alexander said.

Parker responded: “Every front rower in the game initiates contact. It’s not up to Tino to then determine where Reed Mahoney puts his head.”

Alexander hit back: “Every front rower might lift their arm, but they don’t knock the defender out which is exactly what happened there.”
Parker has had too many hits to the Head. The telling blow wad Kasianos kick to his head...the guys lost his marbles.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Penalized for hurting him, they did that to Corey Hughes twenty years ago.
Go ring his mother

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
The refs will forever be a protected species. I’d love to see the on field and bunker refs front the media for press conferences after each game and explain themselves…but that will never happen in this corrupt league

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with it. Its not a cocked elbow so not Tinos fault that Reed is a short ass. Penalty maybe atm but even thats pushing it.

What i do have an issue with was the pass off the ground no try. Boyds arm holding the ball to the elbow was on the ground when he flipped that up and thats a black and white rule that goes back to the beginning of league. Yet - the bunker said ok and we were saved by mini-Preston fumbling.

Contact is often about interpretation so I'm sort of with the Reed hip drop as well (as it was only a pen) but it also was a fck up. But the above - wtf are these clowns doing if they don't even know basic fckng league rules.

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with it. Its not a cocked elbow so not Tinos fault that Reed is a short ass. Penalty maybe atm but even thats pushing it.

What i do have an issue with was the pass off the ground no try. Boyds arm holding the ball to the elbow was on the ground when he flipped that up and thats a black and white rule that goes back to the beginning of league. Yet - the bunker said ok and we were saved by mini-Preston fumbling.

Contact is often about interpretation so I'm sort of with the Reed hip drop as well (as it was only a pen) but it also was a fck up. But the above - wtf are these clowns doing if they don't even know basic fckng league rules.
Diabolical. Someone needs to face the music

Jippst

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

I'm still astounded as to why this hasn't been highlighted even more!
I think one of the commentators even said something to the affect that, the pass off the ground from Boyd wouldve done Union proud..

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Parker lost all credibility in that debate, then had the audacity to accuse Alexander of being motivated by Origin when it was as clear as day that he was the f@$&ing idiot there talking crap simply to try to stop Tino from getting suspended for Origin.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also let's not forget that Tina The Cat not only held the ball carrying arm up but actually raised his other free arm in readiness for the main part of the contact as he lined him up.

The corrupt NRLol will probably just fine him for a 'dangerous throw' that was nothing and do nothing about the real incident in which he should have been suspended. I wish Les Boyd was still playing so he could go and break his jaw with a people's elbow.