off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
CHRISTIAN NICOLUSSI, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago
Subscriber only
CANTERBURY players appear bogged down by a ‘’nervous energy’’ as the club deals with intense speculation about their overcooked salary cap for 2018.

While big-money recruit Aaron Woods has no plans to backflip on his Belmore move next year and remain at the Wests Tigers, at least one senior rival player believed the uncertainty over who might be squeezed out had taken an emotional toll on Des Hasler’s current roster.

The NRL fired off a letter in April advising clubs to plan their 2018 roster based on $9.14 million, with the Bulldogs understood to have already splurged north of $10 million.

Woods intends to honour his deal with the Bulldogs.
Greg Eastwood is on a heavily back-ended deal that will see him earn around $700,000 next season and already been shopped around for a few months.

Parramatta captain Tim Mannah, who celebrates 200 NRL games this weekend and also sits on the Rugby League Players’ Association board, said the Bulldogs situation had been impossible to ignore.

“You’d be a bit nervous,’’ Mannah said.

“You can almost see by the way they’re playing there’s a bit of that nervous energy.

“The uncertainty of what’s happening, it definitely plays on your mind as a player, so I can imagine what they’re probably going through as a team.

“As an outsider looking in — and I know if I was in their shoes — there’s that nervousness of what’s going to happen, who misses out, do they cut people? There are a lot of unknowns.’’

Woods said he had signed a long-term deal with the Dogs and planned to honour it.

Tigers officials do not expect to keep Woods, and even if the Dogs were forced to shed players and create space in their salary cap, the bearded prop would be one of the last to be asked to bail on Belmore.

Woods praised new Tigers coach Ivan Cleary and said his childhood club was heading in the right direction with him at the helm, including Sunday’s Leichhardt Oval clash against Manly.

“It’s disappointing to move on when they get a really good fella in like Ivan,’’ Woods said.

“But I’ve committed to doing what I’m doing next year, I’ve enjoyed my time under Ivan, and the next four weeks I won’t let him down.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/006891e25dfbdd8f8313239ad45f14df

Reactions: DT

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We were playing shite long before any "salary cap issue" raised its head. Oh and Mannah would know all about the uncertainty of a salary cap problem....ask him about his mates that were asked to move on beacuse his club cheated and the CEO who committed fraud....

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fuck the salary cap, the NRL have showed they are prepared to fuck us over with dog shot Cummins decisions, we will just juggle the books and hand out sandwich bags and the NRL can't prove jack shit.
Bring on the Ferrari's.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
How is it possible that Eastwood be on $700,000 a year? There is the proof that Des is deliberately sabotaging the club. He is not that dumb
You left the most important part out. Heavily back ended. Means he was on a lot less when he was a better player. Back ending is stupid imo

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
You left the most important part out. Heavily back ended. Means he was on a lot less when he was a better player. Back ending is stupid imo
I agree backed deals are fucking crazy. Ie Robbie Farah wests, watmough manly parra, now Eastwood and Graham

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just do what the others do. Leak to the media that a certain player may not be able to be signed due to the cap. All of a sudden player x says he would rather stay at the club on less money. Club arranges some sweet 3rd party, 4th party deals and everyone is happy

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The recruitment and cap management at the club is apparently a shambles.
And the sticking with losing propositions is part of that mis-management.

Williams, Lichaa, Mbye, Kasiano (23 minutes), Eastwood on and on.
Re-signing coaches and players and within literally weeks wanting to dump them!

Please Mr Dib move on.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
How is eastwood on a heavily backended deal when supercoach only just re signed him
Just means he will get more next year than this year. Not sure why he would backend Eastwood for. I mean ffs.

I hope it doesnt take a wooden spoon for the club to wake up to the Des problem and fix it. And the spoon is unlikely to be this year.

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is it possible that Eastwood be on $700,000 a year? There is the proof that Des is deliberately sabotaging the club. He is not that dumb
surely castle has heavy involvement in back ended deal?

Reactions: DT

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
None of these journos would have a friggin clue how much ANY player is on, nor how much the club is under/over the cap.

All media bullshit.

If we are over, so is every other club. I mean .. fuck... the Knights have signed an entire first grade side this year and nothing has been said. Dragons, Broncos, Roosters, Sharks would all be WELL over the cap.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just means he will get more next year than this year. Not sure why he would backend Eastwood for. I mean ffs.

I hope it doesnt take a wooden spoon for the club to wake up to the Des problem and fix it. And the spoon is unlikely to be this year.
We are basically wooden spooners by not making the semis... whats the difference between 9th and last... the place stinks right now

Status
Not open for further replies.