Aaron Schoupp Released Effective Immediately

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was a bit sad when I first heard about Schoupp but after a few seconds I got over it. I'd love to know if Gus found this 'opportunity' or whether Schoupp or the Titans were shopping. Anyhow, Gus obviously has more player movements, mostly or fully locked in, that he thinks are gonna excite us. Bye Schouppy, but now I'm just interested in what's about to happen.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I've never been a fan of having a team on the Gold Coast as it has failed time and time again over many years.

Sure, they have their core group of supporters but it's a holiday destination first and foremost and big-name players, at the end of their careers join them for that very reason, play NRL on big $$$$$ with a team made up of various players from a host of other clubs, on a holiday destination for many.

Yes, they can be competitive and have been a bogey team for us but they're going to struggle winning a premiership unless they can sign a marquee player or two to a 5 plus year contract.

Wally Lewis couldn't help them. Fifita looked like being part of a premiership team when playing for the Broncos then went for the big $$$$$ on offer at the Titans, which you couldn't blame him for, but hasn't been anywhere near as effective at the Titans.

That said I feel they'll play Finals footy within the next 2 years, that is, make the 8. Why? They're building a very handy side, nowhere near premiership material but the inclusion of Foran, Schoupp, Verrills and the resigning of Fermor and Jojo Fifita plus established players like Brimson, Tanah Boyd, Toby Sexton, Campbell, Tino, Fotuaika and David Fifita in his last year they'll be more than nuisance value for a lot of teams.

Holbrook will only get better with a better roster, and they did finish the 2022 season off well winning 3 of the last 4 games to finish one spot behind us. Holbrook had great success as a coach in England at St Helens and he's also from Canterbury-Bankstown heartland, having played for Milperra Colts in his junior years.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
While I've never been a fan of having a team on the Gold Coast as it has failed time and time again over many years.

Sure, they have their core group of supporters but it's a holiday destination first and foremost and big-name players, at the end of their careers join them for that very reason, play NRL on big $$$$$ with a team made up of various players from a host of other clubs, on a holiday destination for many.

Yes, they can be competitive and have been a bogey team for us but they're going to struggle winning a premiership unless they can sign a marquee player or two to a 5 plus year contract.

Wally Lewis couldn't help them. Fifita looked like being part of a premiership team when playing for the Broncos then went for the big $$$$$ on offer at the Titans, which you couldn't blame him for, but hasn't been anywhere near as effective at the Titans.

That said I feel they'll play Finals footy within the next 2 years, that is, make the 8. Why? They're building a very handy side, nowhere near premiership material but the inclusion of Foran, Schoupp, Verrills and the resigning of Fermor and Jojo Fifita plus established players like Brimson, Tanah Boyd, Toby Sexton, Campbell, Tino, Fotuaika and David Fifita in his last year they'll be more than nuisance value for a lot of teams.

Holbrook will only get better with a better roster, and they did finish the 2022 season off well winning 3 of the last 4 games to finish one spot behind us. Holbrook had great success as a coach in England at St Helens and he's also from Canterbury-Bankstown heartland, having played for Milperra Colts in his junior years.
They have a pretty good team and it's even better next year, Holbrook has underachieved and not got the best out of his team imo.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
They definitely have the better fullback… isn’t that right @Mutt Dafty

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Reading gus comments about him departing whilst always complimentary it definitely did feel gus was happy hes gone

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meh. That knights game last year sold it for me. Beautiful Burto kick for fox and he got in the way, selfish player
Add in his intercept try back in June against the Tigers where he grabbed an intercept right on our goal line and had JAC on his outside but instead held the ball and while he scored it was wide out, if he’d given it to JAC earlier he would’ve raced away and put it under the black dot. While it had no bearing on the result as we won easily it probably didn’t go down to well that he didn’t pass when he should’ve.

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add in his intercept try back in June against the Tigers where he grabbed an intercept right on our goal line and had JAC on his outside but instead held the ball and while he scored it was wide out, if he’d given it to JAC earlier he would’ve raced away and put it under the black dot. While it had no bearing on the result as we won easily it probably didn’t go down to well that he didn’t pass when he should’ve.
Always gets angry when Fox scores. We don't need his attitude, he can go fuck himself along with Stimson at the Gold Coast.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
While it had no bearing on the result as we won easily it probably didn’t go down to well that he didn’t pass when he should’ve.
And if he'd thrown it to Addo-Carr and the ball was dropped?
Schoupp did the right thing. Addo-Carr did the right thing (ran backup/interference beautifully).
Have a crack at Schoupp's flaws/underdeveloped game sure (he's green. There's a few to choose from), but we don't gotta nitpick - he scored (and did a great job doing it).