Aaron Schoupp Released Effective Immediately

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What would be the point of that though? By 24 Alamoti or Skleton will have one of the center positions with Kiraz taking the other one. Also if we sign Xerri he might come good and take one of those spots.

I'm sure Gus has shipped him off for good
Yeah fair point mate, unless the names above don’t re sign as they both off contract end of 2023, or they don’t work out. But agree it’s most likely he is gone for good.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
I think u will find plenty of Player movement in the next few weeks..

Im pretty sure the NRL rules state "u must have 29 registered players by NOV 1st "
Thats why u are seeing players moving a day or two after pre season has started

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The kid had some positives but there’s so much we don’t know behind the scenes. Maybe we weren’t offering him a deal for 24 and the club did him a favour releasing him a year early to secure his future.

For those saying release Allan or Okunbur someone needs to want them and to pay a decent amount of their salary. Other clubs aren’t stupid, they know we want them off our books but are probably wanting us to pay 75% of their salary.

On the other hand we might have said to the titans if you want Schoupp you need to pay his whole salary in 23.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The kid had some positives but there’s so much we don’t know behind the scenes. Maybe we weren’t offering him a deal for 24 and the club did him a favour releasing him a year early to secure his future.

For those saying release Allan or Okunbur someone needs to want them and to pay a decent amount of their salary. Other clubs aren’t stupid, they know we want them off our books but are probably wanting us to pay 75% of their salary.

On the other hand we might have said to the titans if you want Schoupp you need to pay his whole salary in 23.
I think this is likely part of the conversation. It's after Nov 1 so it's likely that Gus/CC told him that he is currently not in their future plans, and if he were to get a deal the club could release him a year early. I see Skelton and Alamoti being in the frame for a centre position this coming season and if the rumours are true Xerri for 2024. Also if we sign Crichton for fullback and he doesn't work out we would need a plan B. Schoupp, Skelton, Alamoti, Allan, Burns for 2 centre positions does not seem like a good cap balance. Suggest we are still trying to move on Allan for the right price. One of the Top 30 positions will be for a back up half. Rajab, JR or someone new depends on what happens in the preseason.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Roosters want Allan tho. It’s impossible to get rid of Okunbor whilst under contract but i do see a sample of clubs that would take a punt on Allan. I’ll say he is next gone if Roosters are still chasing.

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think a lot of people have a soft spot for Schoupp because he played with a bit of mongrel while most of the team were taking the piss. He's not the right person to have inside JAC, though, moving forward. We need a centre with good hands and a willingness to actually pass the ball.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why release Allan and still pay $250k to another club for 2023 only?
Surely Allan is worth $250k for one season? Just needs to get fit. The extra $250k for this season is just down to a bad decision which can't be reversed.
It doesn't matter either way as 2023 is rebuilding. I just don't get the logic. Will we find a better back-up centre for $250k? And where are these centres coming from if Schoupp is gone as well?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Why release Allan and still pay $250k to another club for 2023 only?
Surely Allan is worth $250k for one season? Just needs to get fit. The extra $250k for this season is just down to a bad decision which can't be reversed.
It doesn't matter either way as 2023 is rebuilding. I just don't get the logic. Will we find a better back-up centre for $250k? And where are these centres coming from if Schoupp is gone as well?
Club may rather use the $250k on extending Alomoti or Skelton?

Same situation with what Gus did with Cotric I guess.

Last edited:

T-Rocket

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Wonder if this is to help fund Mahoney and kikau or if there’s a plan to bring someone in.