Aaron Schoupp on how Matt Burton, Josh Addo Carr have Belmore ‘buzzing’

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Aaron Schoupp on how Matt Burton, Josh Addo Carr have Belmore ‘buzzing’

Aaron Schoupp during training. Photo: BulldogsAaron Schoupp during training. Photo: Bulldogs

Aaron Schoupp watched Matt Burton light up the grand final but the Canterbury youngster didn’t realise what a ‘freak’ the playmaker is until he trained with his new Bulldogs teammate.
Playing out of position at centre, Burton was close to best on ground in Penrith’s title victory against South Sydney last season.
Stream every game of every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now >

“He killed it at centre, but he’s going to be our five-eighth for sure,” Schoupp told The Daily Telegraph.
“He’s an absolute freak with some of the things he has been doing at training … the things he can do has blown us all away.
“His skill level with the ball is crazy and he’s also so strong. He’s going to be really good for us this year.”
Matt Burton has the Bulldogs buzzing. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/GettyMatt Burton has the Bulldogs buzzing. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty
While Burton has the No. 6 jumper well and truly sown up, former Schoolboys star Schoupp, who played 13 games in his debut season last year, will be using Canterbury’s trial matches against Newcastle and then Cronulla to cement a starting spot at right centre.
“I had off season surgery on my shoulder, the rotator cuff needed a full repair. It was my first major surgery,” Schoupp revealed.
“But I’m back now and I’m back into full contact and I should be right to play in the trials.
“I’m looking towards [the trials] so I can lock down that right centre spot.”
Coach Trent Barrett also has Braidon Burns, Corey Allan, Paul Alamoti and Jake Averillo as options at centre.
But Averillo is expected to partner Burton in the halves, while teen prodigy Alamoti will be eased into first grade.

Bulldogs fans got a glimpse of their new left edge combination of former Panthers centre Brent Naden and Storm flyer Josh Addo-Carr in Friday night’s All Stars match at Commbank Stadium.
Having been part of last year’s wooden spoon outfit, Schoupp is relishing the opportunity to play in a backline now filled with premiership talent and experience.
“Brent has got a bit of class about himself, he’s silky with the ball in his hands,” Schoupp said.
“Obviously Penrith they won the comp last year, so coming from that system, he’s been trying to help a few of us younger boys with what he learned there … he’s enthusiasm has been rubbing off on everyone.
“But so has Fox’s. The way he tips everyone up, especially for me as well, playing in the outside backs … he came from Melbourne where they have been top of the table for ages and won two comps.
Aaron Schoupp is gunning for a starting spot. Photo: BulldogsAaron Schoupp is gunning for a starting spot. Photo: Bulldogs
“I think because of that he brings a lot of confidence to the young boys.”
Schoupp’s recent re-signing makes him only one of three players, alongside side Josh Addo Carr and Tevita Pangai Jnr, locked in until the end of season 2024.
Burton has a player option in his favour for 2024.
The 20-year old told The Daily Telegraph he stayed at Canterbury to be part of the club’s rebuild on the field.
“Day one of pre-season, you walked in it was like walking into a whole new team,” Schoupp revealed.
“But it’s been so good. It has been refreshing for the boys, everyone has a bit of a buzz at the moment when we walk into training because everyone has bought into what we are trying to build.
“We have that mentality that there is going to be some good things coming out of Belmore soon.”

---

fyi I just searched the title and this came up at the Australian.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Interesting that Naden is playing left centre. Played right centre or wing for the Panthers.

The left edge of TPJ, Burton, Naden & JAC with Dufty joining in is going to be our go to side and should score a lot of points for us.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope to see Schoupp continue to step up and take his game to another level. Too many of our juniors in the recent past haven't progressed after making their FG debut.

He shows enough enthusiasm, which is a good sign.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Interesting that Naden is playing left centre. Played right centre or wing for the Panthers.

The left edge of TPJ, Burton, Naden & JAC with Dufty joining in is going to be our go to side and should score a lot of points for us.
He also played left centre at Panthers, scored most his tries from grubbers there.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excitement is building! Goat Burton will deliver us a premiership.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's a lethal edge. If they get their timing and combos right, they could be troubling a lot of teams

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a lethal edge. If they get their timing and combos right, they could be troubling a lot of teams
I guess I might be in the minority on here but I’m not that sold on Naden at centre. His defence is iffy and he drops off a lot of tackles. He might be relegated to wing by the end of the season if Alamoti handles NSW Cup and playing against men with ease

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I might be in the minority on here but I’m not that sold on Naden at centre. His defence is iffy and he drops off a lot of tackles. He might be relegated to wing by the end of the season if Alamoti handles NSW Cup and playing against men with ease
Im on board with this idea too mate, By the end of the year I expect our backline to be.
1. Dufty
2. Addo-Carr
3. Schoupp
4. Alamoti
5. Naden

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Im on board with this idea too mate, By the end of the year I expect our backline to be.
1. Dufty
2. Addo-Carr
3. Schoupp
4. Alamoti
5. Naden
Naden will not be moved from his centre spot. Him and JAC will stay ouur left edge unless there are injuries.

Big Vibe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Schoupp was outstanding given his age, experience and lack of support personnel around him last year. I’ll be very disappointed if he loses that left centre spot.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Schoupp was outstanding given his age, experience and lack of support personnel around him last year. I’ll be very disappointed if he loses that left centre spot.
Naden's on the left. Right side up for grabs, hopefully Schoupp.

Big Vibe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Naden's on the left. Right side up for grabs, hopefully Schoupp.
Hope you’re wrong. Naden hasn’t done anything to have the left centre spot sewn up. I’d prefer to see him on the right wing

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Naden will not be moved from his centre spot. Him and JAC will stay ouur left edge unless there are injuries.
I doubt it, that left edge will be pulled apart over the season imo.