Aaron Schoupp On Being Forced Out Of The Bulldogs

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The 'plan' was Alamoti, Skelton, Xerri, Crichton, Kiraz, Burns....
He made the right choice. Good luck to him.
You never know. Might come good. Even Brenko Lee and Corey Allan played origin...

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The 'plan' was Alamoti, Skelton, Xerri, Crichton, Kiraz, Burns....
He made the right choice. Good luck to him.
You never know. Might come good. Even Brenko Lee and Corey Allan played origin...
Good points bro

Reecek89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Every time Fox beat him to the ball he was dirty, would hardly pass to Fox and didn’t run into holes created by Burton. I see why the club looked at someone else

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Schoupptrich played hard but he is one dimensional.

For me a centre always has to offer some strike, be able to create something out of nothing.

Go back to probably our best centre pairing in the last decade was Jmoz & Inu both exceptional with the ball, footwork, flick pass extremely skillful players who know how to attack.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His heart will forever bleed blue and white, shame we couldn’t find a spot for him at centre, one of the best defenders in that position. I feel like a simple draw and pass skill set would have had him remain in the team - maybe it was the pressure to perform under his previous coaches forcing him to overcommit with ball in hand? Who knows? Or, potentially Alamoti’s rise and Critta’s recruitment?

We can only wish him the best at the Tits.
Best defender in that position ??? Granted he improved this aspect towards the end of the year which was from a very low standard. But to say he is one of the better defenders in that position is a structural. He is certainly an aggressive style of defender who can put on a shot.But for me he still misses a lot of easy tackles especially when the opposition is running at him. His defence is outstanding enough to make up for his limitations as an attacking player. Ie his not quick, doesn't break tackles, doesn't really offload or set up wingers all that well.
Best of luck to him , but I think we have far better coming through

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
In previous years we probably would have re-signed Schoupp on overs for at least 3 years and then lost Alamoti and Skelton to other clubs only to see them flourish, plus we would have been no chance to sign Xerri

Now with Gus and CC in the drivers seat, they can obviously see the potential that we have emerging in that position and Gus' status certainly helped us sign Xerri

Not saying Schoupp isn't a good player, just our football IQ in recognising emerging talent plus balancing a salary cap is now in expert hands

I'd say there is a good chance that Burns won't be re-signed as we also have Semrani and Gabreal?? (young centre from Parra) also coming through

Gus is putting the production line in place and our once "weak" position of centre looks like being a strength in years to come

Our standards have certainly lifted. Gone are the days where we sign average players to long term contracts and get stuck with them

Now we are filling the club with outstanding talents where there will be competition for spots and only the cream will rise to the top and in doing so take the mighty Bulldogs back to the top where we belong

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In previous years we probably would have re-signed Schoupp on overs for at least 3 years and then lost Alamoti and Skelton to other clubs only to see them flourish, plus we would have been no chance to sign Xerri

Now with Gus and CC in the drivers seat, they can obviously see the potential that we have emerging in that position and Gus' status certainly helped us sign Xerri

Not saying Schoupp isn't a good player, just our football IQ in recognising emerging talent plus balancing a salary cap is now in expert hands

I'd say there is a good chance that Burns won't be re-signed as we also have Semrani and Gabreal?? (young centre from Parra) also coming through

Gus is putting the production line in place and our once "weak" position of centre looks like being a strength in years to come

Our standards have certainly lifted. Gone are the days where we sign average players to long term contracts and get stuck with them

Now we are filling the club with outstanding talents where there will be competition for spots and only the cream will rise to the top and in doing so take the mighty Bulldogs back to the top where we belong
Burns will get a contract if he has a very good year otherwise the young ones will get a crack next year

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best defender in that position ??? Granted he improved this aspect towards the end of the year which was from a very low standard. But to say he is one of the better defenders in that position is a structural. He is certainly an aggressive style of defender who can put on a shot.But for me he still misses a lot of easy tackles especially when the opposition is running at him. His defence is outstanding enough to make up for his limitations as an attacking player. Ie his not quick, doesn't break tackles, doesn't really offload or set up wingers all that well.
The way he handled Staggs and Joey Manu was pretty impressive tbh. I don’t remember any opposition centre getting the best of him actually.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Him and Avo probably offered a similar amount in terms of football ability, but I feel like the reason Avo is preferred is because he doesn’t seem arrogant and wants to learn. Shoupp, while I loved his passion was a bit up himself for the stage he’s at in his career.

Avo is more easily mouldable + has pace

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Entitled to your opinion, that’s why forums exist - agree to disagree

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Blast from the past :tearsofjoy: Already forgot about him, plays for whom? Oh yes. Good on him !!