Opinion A quick review of our recruitment since we started rebuilding

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think part of the problem is the need to spend 95% of the cap, when you are struggling to attract players it is inevitable that you will be paying average players more than they are worth, you just make sure they are short contracts if possible

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think part of the problem is the need to spend 95% of the cap, when you are struggling to attract players it is inevitable that you will be paying average players more than they are worth, you just make sure they are short contracts if possible
Which I think has been happening the last few years so some of the off contract players may be on more than we realise..

Malla

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I do have a few rebuttals though.
  1. Napa was not a good signing. It was in direct response to losing Klemmer. If the idea was always to be competative in 2022 we should never have wasted cap space on him.
  2. Cogger and Meaney werent cheap. They were rumoured to be on around 300k each.
  3. CHN was a good signing however it didnt benefit us at all in the longterm.

Part of my point is that we have made a lot of rash decisions. What was the point of buying high on Allen? Only to sign Naden the next year. And Flanagan from what we've seen so far is a complete miss as our longterm halfback. Of course next years signings look quality and I hope we buy more proven players. But it doesnt discount the fact that we're making our fair share of mistakes.

Every rebuild has its misses. The whole point of this thread was to look back and analyse our recent decisions. It doesnt mean that longterm this group wont gel. But we need morr Burtons, and less Napas.
At the time Napa was an OK signing. We lost Klemmer who we were paying double what Napa was on, the thinking behind bringing Napa on is if he carries over the form he had at Roosters it would soften the blow of losing Klem but Napa has gone backwards since signing with us so massive waste of money. For me, Napa is a great example why Dean Pay was a trash coach who had a trash coaching staff with him. Players did not get better with us in his regime.

Cogger and Meaney were always nothing but fringe first graders. I guess they're low risk type signing because they are relatively cheap but again they did not improve at all under Pay. Meaney is showing glimpses now under Baz so I wonder if he will be resigned.

CHN was a great signing but he ended up being a piece of shit.

You can't call signings this year a complete miss when our squad is going to look completely different next year. Burton next year will make Flanno's role 100 times easier. JAC is an attacking threat that we haven't had in a while either, that'll make it easier for Allen to play footy.

If next year with the squad we will have, Flanno is struggling, then I would be the first to say sack him. People are jumping the gun on him but I bet you will all be the first to suck his dick when he plays good footy behind a better team.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At this point, I feel like Lewis is better than Flano. Flano seems dumb as fuck

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the time Napa was an OK signing. We lost Klemmer who we were paying double what Napa was on, the thinking behind bringing Napa on is if he carries over the form he had at Roosters it would soften the blow of losing Klem but Napa has gone backwards since signing with us so massive waste of money. For me, Napa is a great example why Dean Pay was a trash coach who had a trash coaching staff with him. Players did not get better with us in his regime.

Cogger and Meaney were always nothing but fringe first graders. I guess they're low risk type signing because they are relatively cheap but again they did not improve at all under Pay. Meaney is showing glimpses now under Baz so I wonder if he will be resigned.

CHN was a great signing but he ended up being a piece of shit.

You can't call signings this year a complete miss when our squad is going to look completely different next year. Burton next year will make Flanno's role 100 times easier. JAC is an attacking threat that we haven't had in a while either, that'll make it easier for Allen to play footy.

If next year with the squad we will have, Flanno is struggling, then I would be the first to say sack him. People are jumping the gun on him but I bet you will all be the first to suck his dick when he plays good footy behind a better team.
From reports at the time, we were paying Klemmer 750 and we signed Napa for 650. I'm only going off reports of what happened. My point was since we understood that we weren't going to be competetive til 2022, what was the point in securing Napa on a deal til 2021? Had he improved enough to justify his deal, we would have a battle on our hands to retain him. And if he flopped, we just wasted 2 million dollars over the 3 years. Napa was signed because the board didnt have the balls to say no to Klemmer leaving early, or getting adequate compensation for releasing the then premier prop in the game. With DWZ at least we signed him til 2022. That he was part of long term planning.

With Meaney and Cogger, all I said is that they were misses. I never called either overpaid. Since neither is likely to be here next year, they didnt benefit our rebuild at all. You don't rebuild with stop gap solutions. CHN was a gun and I dont blame the board for that one.

You yourself called Flanagan and Allan last minute buys. You can throw Napa onto that. That 1.4million in cap space that could have been better spent. I dont expect every decision to be the right one, but I do expect that every decision we make be based on a long term plan we've made. Everything I've seen so far tells me that such a plan doesn't exist.

In regards to Flanagan, unless he performs like a completely different player next year, is a big mistake that could cost us huge. They should have known there was a glut of halves available this year. Flanagan was off contract this year anyway. We could have kept him at the Roosters and signed him the following season anyway. We would have gotten a better halfback to sign this year. If we needed a stop gap, Benji was available to us for close to nothing. If the plan was to partner Burton and Flanagan this year, we should have secured Burtons release first. There are at least 6 halves better than him available this year for next.

fooch

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What's your point.We all know the recruitment has been woeful

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yileen had so much potential as a young player but issues off the field always hampered his progress.

Bryce Goodwin and Luke Goodwin are brothers.
absolutely... Buddy Gordon was a great talent at centre or back row but frustrating to watch... I've always hated watching players, regardless of the sport, knowing their ceiling was a lot higher to what they showed on the field

Luke, Bryson and Bronx Goodwin are brothers and the sons of Dragons great, Lord Ted Goodwin

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Had more line breaks than any of our dud forwards tbh
Mate 100% I still remember the amount of times he used to bust the line wide open unbelievable, you just had to have a soft spot for him lol then Souths came along and played with the (we are the only representatives of the aboriginal people in the nrl) and the rest is history

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mate 100% I still remember the amount of times he used to bust the line wide open unbelievable, you just had to have a soft spot for him lol then Souths came along and played with the (we are the only representatives of the aboriginal people in the nrl) and the rest is history
Gordon played his best football with us IMO. I thought it was a pity he left until his form dropped off. But the team that year exceeded expectations IMO. We actually picked up a few good players that were under rated and finding under rated talent used to be something we were very good at. We just have to hope that moving forwards we nail down some good players and that our attitude every week is great.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gordon played his best football with us IMO. I thought it was a pity he left until his form dropped off. But the team that year exceeded expectations IMO. We actually picked up a few good players that were under rated and finding under rated talent used to be something we were very good at. We just have to hope that moving forwards we nail down some good players and that our attitude every week is great.
Mate 100%