A possibility....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This may very well sound stupid and pathetic however this may very well be a reality. The current board members are creating an illusion that were merely broke and can barely afford to resign precious players such as Lewis and Martin hoping to perhaps deceive outsiders that were helpless and can't offer a penny.

In other words I think we will see a war chest in a year or so. Taking into consideration the various players we've lost and there contract value I would say we have a couple million sitting there.....

Anyways don't take this to seriously but this could be the case regarding our so called ' busted cap'.......

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The situation worked in our favor regarding Woods and Mbye because instead of said players being just unwanted, we had the cap restraint card therefore the two had more appeal.... or something

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
yeah ....or something, but there is no way of knowing the truth, there for it's all speculation.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I think the idea is probably to avoid player managers using us as a club to bump up their players asking prices. "The Dogs have no money so they can't be interested". It also allows us to specifically pick and chosose who we want to recruit rather than getting calls from every player manager trying to flog their players to us.

Not sure its the best approach but we will see.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
At least it's good players mostly unlike parra who are being used to bump up shit ***** because they are notorious for buying duds lol

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ill start this by saying i cant stand what des did to the club but ive been thinking and the funny thing is the whole time des was here we were never in this type of salary cap trouble so i wonder if the new board found illegal payments or we may have lost 3rd party deals with dib going?? Thoughts ?

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anderson had to rebuild after the 80's, he also started to build the storm and Bellamy just continued it and accelerated it. If you think about it, The storm have evolved as the modern day bulldogs (yes they have Smith, Slater and had Cronk and Inglis) but they get players who have previously not been great and make them solid first graders, Look at our mid 80's team and juniors. Dunn Kelly and Tunks weren't huge signings from Easts, Newtown and Souths respectively, The biggest signing prob of the 80's was probably Lamb, and he was a local junior coming back. 95 side was a few 'bargain buys' also (Silva, Dymock, Britt) with kids through the junior system (Price, Polla-Mounter, Jason Smith, Hethrington)
Im as gutted as everyone else on here as to what has happened this year but remember in the last 40 years we have not been down for long, (longest period between finals I think has been 4 years)
The previous admin has made huge errors! We have had to pay massive overs to get players to stay and come across! I heard alot pf players didnt want to coem as Hasler was known as a mind f$%ker and would want big bucks/Castle and co were not good negotiators so player managers got what they wanted, and of course back ended deals.
I do believe we are throwing a smokey to get a war chest and we are going to have a clean slate and will be competitive before 2021

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill start this by saying i cant stand what des did to the club but ive been thinking and the funny thing is the whole time des was here we were never in this type of salary cap trouble so i wonder if the new board found illegal payments or we may have lost 3rd party deals with dib going?? Thoughts ?
New board prob found we were in trouble and knew Haslers history with Manly! A second big rort would not look good for the dogs! Storms salary cap rort included back ended deals, Its just really bad as third parties dont make the salary cap a 'level playing field" plus you have the Roosters/Souths situation with Uncle Nick/Russel Crowe

Dog Till I Die

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The back-ended contracts, pure and simple. We now know Hasler totally usurped an unwitting club and piss weak management hell bent on emulating the glory of Nick Politis. Hasler was Dib's Trojan Horse to NRL riches and fame. He gave Des the green light to buy a short-term premiership, and signed off on the postdating of the contracts to be dealt with another day. The fact that Hasler (I can't bring myself to call him by his first name. That implies respect) signed a 2-year extension shows either how greedy or stupid the **** is.
No wonder Dib tried everything to maintain board control. He knew the mess we were in well in advance and would have used his position to cover it up.
And Castle? Ask Lazio Serie A fans what they do with lazy, good-for-nothing CEOs who know all the answers but have no idea of the fucking question!
If anyone wrote a book about our once-proud club's history post 2012, the title would probably be 'Hijacked!'

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If you were to estimate the amount of free space in the cap how much would it be guys?

Taking into considerations players that have left.

Education guesses please!!

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you were to estimate the amount of free space in the cap how much would it be guys?

Taking into considerations players that have left.

Education guesses please!!
Your asking for the Kennel members to come up with educated figures?

know one knows.....

From the looks of it even the Bulldogs board themselves don't know.

I love your optimism but i think its a dream to think we are not totally screwed!

All i can say is the likes of Jackson & Klemmer must be earning $2million a year each at the backend. For us to still have a full cap.

I am sure i am not alone in saying, i would love a look at every teams top 30 list and what everyone is being paid under the cap.

When you look at our current roster verses most other teams. It just doesn't remotley make sense.

We must be paying park footballers Rep money across the board.

The NRL have these lists. Surely they must be scratching their heads at what some of our players must be getting paid.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the idea is probably to avoid player managers using us as a club to bump up their players asking prices. "The Dogs have no money so they can't be interested". It also allows us to specifically pick and chosose who we want to recruit rather than getting calls from every player manager trying to flog their players to us.

Not sure its the best approach but we will see.
This club used to thrive on close nit approach
I am hoping the new board has learnt from that era

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Your asking for the Kennel members to come up with educated figures?

know one knows.....

From the looks of it even the Bulldogs board themselves don't know.

I love your optimism but i think its a dream to think we are not totally screwed!

All i can say is the likes of Jackson & Klemmer must be earning $2million a year each at the backend. For us to still have a full cap.

I am sure i am not alone in saying, i would love a look at every teams top 30 list and what everyone is being paid under the cap.

When you look at our current roster verses most other teams. It just doesn't remotley make sense.

We must be paying park footballers Rep money across the board.

The NRL have these lists. Surely they must be scratching their heads at what some of our players must be getting paid.
It just defies logic and simple mathmatics trying to come to terms with our current roster compared to Sharks, Roosters, Storm even Dragons, Souths, Parra...we only have 2 players who would attract more than $300k tops.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There are plenty of teams that seem to have spent their cap a hell of a lot better. But hopefully the decisions the club make moving forward get us on the right track reasonably quickly. I really wonder what the previous board had planned to get through this.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
This may very well sound stupid and pathetic however this may very well be a reality. The current board members are creating an illusion that were merely broke and can barely afford to resign precious players such as Lewis and Martin hoping to perhaps deceive outsiders that were helpless and can't offer a penny.

In other words I think we will see a war chest in a year or so. Taking into consideration the various players we've lost and there contract value I would say we have a couple million sitting there.....

Anyways don't take this to seriously but this could be the case regarding our so called ' busted cap'.......
I reckon our cap issues for next year would have been solved before Mozzes were leaving and eastwood not being re-signed. Now we need to build as you say a "war chest" to buy any serious players, or a number of the best up and coming players. Or a mix of both.

We need a fair bit, we need to restock the lower grades a bit too with better players. Close to half the top 30 need replacing to have serious depth.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Foran needs to go and klemmer needs to take 1 for the team and leave

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon our cap issues for next year would have been solved before Mozzes were leaving and eastwood not being re-signed. Now we need to build as you say a "war chest" to buy any serious players, or a number of the best up and coming players. Or a mix of both.

We need a fair bit, we need to restock the lower grades a bit too with better players. Close to half the top 30 need replacing to have serious depth.
I have high hopes we can make a couple of astute purchases during the offseason. There will be clubs looking to juggle their rosters and hopefully we've freed up enough space to pick up a good player or two. I think the club have made the first moves towards rebuilding the lower grades but it will take time for it to pay dividends. For most of my life I recall the Bulldogs have been premiership threats in all grades most years until pretty recently. I think that most of the board we have here now would like to see us back in that situation as much as the fans.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fans have the right to be critics but real fans remain positive!!! Come on doggies!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.