Official A MESSAGE FROM THE BOSS

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
But we replaced with napa, Chn,meaney,cogger,Crichton,sue,DWZ.
So we had money to spend
Money that added up to a lot less than those fellas were on. And we planned to keep Klemmer before he threw his toys out of the pram when his bromance brother Woods was shown the door.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may have been about salary cap, but I believe it was more so to do with they wanted a cultural change at the dogs
And all chose to leave because they didn’t get things on their terms. Oh well.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It may have been about salary cap, but I believe it was more so to do with they wanted a cultural change at the dogs
Morris boys wanted two years, club was prepared to offer one - they walked - their choice. If they wanted ‘cultural change’ why were they seeking two year contracts? Klemmer already explained, but apart from Woods he had pressure from his missus to move to Newcastle where she had family. We were never going to win that battle and so be it.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Fact of matter is no one knows what our salary cap position was or is now.
So if you have that information please share.
My personal opinion is that our salary cap position was not as bad as the do nothing board made out.( and continue to take mileage from it)
In respect to players approached and rejected us, speak to Chris Anderson he knows first hand....hence why no longer with us
Grasping at straws now, everyone know why Opes resigned, give up on that one.

Back to the subject at hand, so you don’t actually know of one single player that has “knocked us back”?

Your opinion is “ our salary cap position was not as bad” despite a plethora or reporting both internal and external. Plus NRL audited requirements that 95% minimum of the Cap has to be spent in the year via lodged player contracts. Do you really believe that any player who has a contract isn’t going to insist that he be paid that contract’s value? That all of the players got together and decided to take less than their contracted value in 2018 and 2019 just so the Board would look good? In 2 years time? I’d really like to know how you arrived at that opinion.

Go Dogs

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't clear, the dogs wanted to bring in a culture change.
Morris boys wanted two years, club was prepared to offer one - they walked - their choice. If they wanted ‘cultural change’ why were they seeking two year contracts? Klemmer already explained, but apart from Woods he had pressure from his missus to move to Newcastle where she had family. We were never going to win that battle and so be it.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't clear, the dogs wanted to bring in a culture change.
But all 3 players you mentioned had (Klemmer) or were offered (Moz x 2) contracts - so it’s not like they were pushed out the door. They all left when they didn’t get what they wanted.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out of respect they offered the Morris boys contracts,contracts low balled and knew thet would not accept, ( bet there was no counter offer by dogs) so no backlash in the media.
But all 3 players you mentioned had (Klemmer) or were offered (Moz x 2) contracts - so it’s not like they were pushed out the door. They all left when they didn’t get what they wanted.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
But we replaced with napa, Chn,meaney,cogger,Crichton,sue,DWZ.
So we had money to spend
All of them on cheaper deals.
We had retained Klemmer but he wanted more money and his wife/brain/master Chloe was causing too many issues

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Out of respect they offered the Morris boys contracts,contracts low balled and knew thet would not accept, (bet there was no counter offer by dogs) so no backlash in the media.
And your evidence of low-balling is...?
The same as missing out on 20 players?

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out of respect they offered the Morris boys contracts,contracts low balled and knew thet would not accept, ( bet there was no counter offer by dogs) so no backlash in the media.
Tbh, the club was in no position to offer them anything close to what Tweedle Dib & Tweedle Des gave them previously. Plus I thought they both wanted a chance to win a flag (which Bmoz now has).

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then obviously no pipeline in recruitment..

80/20 rule
Offer 20 players, result = 4 players.

Maybe we are using the 90/10 rule.
And your evidence of low-balling is...?
The same as missing out on 20 players?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Having most of squad being shopped around couldn’t have helped either. We all know who’s fault that was

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There good at getting rid of players.
Really it's like giving money away, an easy sell.
No pipeline in recruitment.
They have not done the hard yards.
Lazy
Having most of squad being shopped around couldn’t have helped either. We all know who’s fault that was

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Then obviously no pipeline in recruitment..

80/20 rule
Offer 20 players, result = 4 players.

Maybe we are using the 90/10 rule.
Salary cap problems hindered pipeline.
(Yes I know you don’t believe this).

For 2019 and 2020 we got: DWZ, CHN, Cogger, Meaney, Sue, Crichton, Stimson, Britt and Katoa. None of them crazy money and we let go a lot of highly paid players (hence affordability).

Not bad for a ‘do nothing’ board with severe restrictions on recruitment.

It seems you only think landing ‘marquee’ players is a measure of success? Yet you recently argued missing out on Api, Ramien and Herman was a failure. None of them are marquee in my view. I’m finding it hard to follow your arguments Teddybear - seems more like argument for arguments sake.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
There good at getting rid of players.
Really it's like giving money away, an easy sell.
No pipeline in recruitment.
They have not done the hard yards.
Lazy
It’s definitely not and terrible for team morale & harmony.
No pipeline in recruitment? I think they’ve done pretty well considering the limited funds they were left with.
Our juniors had been left to rot and they have renewed that well also

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate,

For 2019, 2020 yes I can see some challenges with a good pipeline.

However ,they told the world at least 20 months ago,that we could not recruit marquee players until 2021.

So they did this much.

Surely it would go hand in hand with a target list a pipeline and planning ,and then have offers on the players agents desk by November 01 just passed.

Winning and success starts in the front office.

Missing out on api ( who I didn't want anyway) ramien and esse, made me start questioning their recruitment experience back then.

Landing at least 1, would have been ok, reasonable hit rate, but to miss all 3....they made noise about these signings prior, guess why they dont want to comment too much on recruitment thesr days....( although hill did say they were waiting on fifita mangement recently for next steps)

Salary cap problems hindered pipeline.
(Yes I know you don’t believe this).

For 2019 and 2020 we got: DWZ, CHN, Cogger, Meaney, Sue, Crichton, Stimson, Britt and Katoa. None of them crazy money and we let go a lot of highly paid players (hence affordability).

Not bad for a ‘do nothing’ board with severe restrictions on recruitment.

It seems you only think landing ‘marquee’ players is a measure of success? Yet you recently argued missing out on Api, Ramien and Herman was a failure. None of them are marquee in my view. I’m finding it hard to follow your arguments Teddybear - seems more like argument for arguments sake.

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Mate,

For 2019, 2020 yes I can see some challenges with a good pipeline.

However ,they told the world at least 20 months ago,that we could not recruit marquee players until 2021.

So they did this much.

Surely it would go hand in hand with a target list a pipeline and planning ,and then have offers on the players agents desk by November 01 just passed.

Winning and success starts in the front office.

Missing out on api ( who I didn't want anyway) ramien and esse, made me start questioning their recruitment experience back then.

Landing at least 1, would have been ok, reasonable hit rate, but to miss all 3....
'Missing out' on all 3?
- We know Api was swooped up by Penrif courtesy of Barrett and they raised the stakes by (allegedly) $100k - not worth a bidding war.
- We know Ramien always wanted to go back to the Sharktides and only had a couple of meetings to see a) if he could get silly money and b) in case he couldn't get back into the Shire - again hardly worth the effort.
- Don't know what happened with Herman but no loss in my view.
So that's at least 2 we didn't 'miss out' on but were sensible business decisions.

Regarding 2021:
- Have you given thought to the possibility that some deals are done and under strict instructions not to be leaked (or it's off) given that current clubs may want to cut those players loose for 2020 and we can't afford them now under the final year of cap restrictions?
- Further - if you announce 2021 signings too far in advance some players off contract in 2020 would know it would mean they are not being renewed and drop their bundle before a ball is kicked in 2020?
- I noticed at the member forum in December that when asked about 2021 they were deliberately coy and tried to move on from the question. Now I know you'll think this means because they've got nothing done, but I suspect it might be otherwise.

Now - if you think any of the above is too far fetched, can you answer this:

- Apart from Jai Arrow for Soufs in 2021 I'm trying to think of other 2021 club change deals done - who can you name? What have other clubs done so spectacularly well that we allegedly have not? I can't think of many examples at all.

Reactions: GDR

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other clubs did not inform their members that they were going on a buying spree for marquees in 2021.

'Missing out' on all 3?
- We know Api was swooped up by Penrif courtesy of Barrett and they raised the stakes by (allegedly) $100k - not worth a bidding war.
- We know Ramien always wanted to go back to the Sharktides and only had a couple of meetings to see a) if he could get silly money and b) in case he couldn't get back into the Shire - again hardly worth the effort.
- Don't know what happened with Herman but no loss in my view.
So that's at least 2 we didn't 'miss out' on but were sensible business decisions.

Regarding 2021:
- Have you given thought to the possibility that some deals are done and under strict instructions not to be leaked (or it's off) given that current clubs may want to cut those players loose for 2020 and we can't afford them now under the final year of cap restrictions?
- Further - if you announce 2021 signings too far in advance some players off contract in 2020 would know it would mean they are not being renewed and drop their bundle before a ball is kicked in 2020?
- I noticed at the member forum in December that when asked about 2021 they were deliberately coy and tried to move on from the question. Now I know you'll think this means because they've got nothing done, but I suspect it might be otherwise.

Now - if you think any of the above is too far fetched, can you answer this:

- Apart from Jai Arrow for Soufs in 2021 I'm trying to think of other 2021 club change deals done - who can you name? What have other clubs done so spectacularly well that we allegedly have not? I can't think of many examples at all.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The other clubs did not inform their members that they were going on a buying spree for marquees in 2021.
They have said all along we are out of cap hell in 2021 and have the ability to buy a marquee then they have never said we are going on a buying spree.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Nor did we. We simply said it wouldn’t be possible to be active in the player market until 2021 to set expectations for 2018 and 2019 at a minimum. So anyone who took that as ‘we’re going to town with the cheque book, just wait until you see who we announce in November 2019’ in my view misunderstood the message.