Opinion A Look Into (Our 2021 Bulldogs squad and Potential Lineup)

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So the below I believe are the players we have confirmed (At least for now) on our books for 2021. I think we all know this squad still has a heap of changes to come, but for now this is what we have.

1. Brandon Wakeham
  2. Christian Crichton
  3. Dallin-Watene Zelezniak
  4. Jake Averillo
  5. Jayden Okunbor
  6. Lachlen Lewis
  7. Nick Meaney
  8. Reimis Smith
  9. Will Hopoate
  10. Nick Cotric
  11. Kyle Flanagan
  12. Adam Elliot
  13. Chris Smith
  14. Blake Green
  15. Jack Hetherington
  16. Corey Waddell
  17. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
  18. Josh Jackson
  19. Dylan Napa
  20. James Roumanos
  21. Jeremy Marshall-King
  22. Joe Stimson
  23. Luke Thomspson
  24. Matt Doorey
  25. Ofahiki Ogden
  26. Renouf To'omaga
  27. Sione Katoa
I think the below are the only genuine lock ins so far. The rest are pending possible recruits, pending players leaving elsewhere or players impressing Trent Barrett in the off season.

3. Nick Cotric (Right Edge)
7. Kyle Flanagan (Right Edge)
10. Luke Thompson
11. Josh Jackson (c) (Right Edge)
12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner (Left Edge)
13. Adam Elliot (Middle)
-----
15. Jack Hetherington

Averillo will be there somewhere, but I think a lot depends on the signing of JAC. Averillo will be first choice Fullback if we don't snare JAC. We'll also likely have Smith on the wing too if the swap doesn't happen.

Kyle Flanagan's got the keys to the bus with this team. I have full confidence he's going to kill it for us especially on that right edge which has been crying for a real play maker for far too long now. I think the combo of Elliot, Flanagan and Cotric shifting the ball on that right edge could turn into something special. The cherry on top is Flanagan being one of the premier goal kickers of the NRL. What a massive coup he's going to be for our club!

I think it's obvious to see the biggest issue right now is the dummy half position. We can't go another season with JMK and Katoa at the helm and I don't see Barrett being content with that combo Rd1 either. You get a legitimate dummy half into this team and we go from bottom 4 to genuine top 8 threat overnight. I don't know who we sign and who's actually available, but we have to be aggressive in the market with this one and we have to get it done.

I'm excited to see how Thompson goes next year after the run he had in 2020 too. He was looking real good in his last few games there. Wait for him to be settled in Sydney with his Mrs over here too. He's going to go to another level next year and be a revelation in the NRL.

Trent Barrett absolutely loves Adam Elliot. Barrett has a track record of heavily relying on his Locks in attack. Jake Trbojevic played his best arguably under Barrett and the same can be said for
Isaah Yeo this year too, who's been a revelation. Watch for Elliot to evolve his attacking style and become a key player in this lineup.

I'll stop waffling in a sec, but before I do I wanted to talk about a forgotten player in our squad. Joe Stimson has become a bit of a joke here on TK and is only being remembered for the trial form and 1 NRL game he played for us this year. This guy is a genuine NRL player - has the skill of a 5/8 with the power and line running of a genuine edge back-rower. Watch for him to make an impact in 2021. He's shown results both on the left and right edges at the Storm. Watch for him to start off the bench to begin the year and turn into a fan favorite as the year goes on.

I'm really excited for 2021. We've got the entire coaching staff on-point and we're slowly starting to see a squad resembling an NRL team. There's a lot to look forward to.

Is there anyone I'm missing? What's everyone's thoughts on what a realistic lineup could look like for 2021?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Jackson and RFM on the edges is ugly, Jackson offers absolutely no strike while RFM is incapable of linking play. Can't be starting the season with those two as our top 2 edge forwards if we're serious about pushing for the 8.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think under Baz, Joe Stimson will have a massive Pre season and be made to earn his pay cheque. He also looks like the type of player Baz would like, being agile and a ball player. Baz loves his players with skills and fitness so I think we’re still yet to see the best of Stimson.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Jackson and RFM on the edges is ugly, Jackson offers absolutely no strike while RFM is incapable of linking play. Can't be starting the season with those two as our top 2 edge forwards if we're serious about pushing for the 8.
Agreed, I have my own fears with both guys. What do you do though? Drop your captain? Move Elliot from his best position?

I think RFM had a great year this year considering the circumstances, but I also agree on the crisitism you've given.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Love the analysis @Raysie nice work! I wonder if Baz will prefer RFM on an edge or in the middle? Maybe a big off season from Doorey or Waddell will give him something to think about.
I actually think RFM was at his best coming off the bench as a middle man in 2018. Will be interesting to see what Barrett goes with.

Doorey has a future and I've liked what I've seen so far from him. Waddell I actually haven't seen much of because I avoid watching Manly play lol

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nice wrap up. Loving the positivity. I think Hoppa is a lock in, so is Ogden and Okunbour when he is fit again.
Not sure about Stimson, but one should only hope he makes an impression!!

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nice wrap up. Loving the positivity. I think Hoppa is a lock in, so is Ogden and Okunbour when he is fit again.
Not sure about Stimson, but one should only hope he makes an impression!!
My hesitation with Hoppa is the recent rumours he may be told he's no longer wanted.

Other issue is he's a right centre and Cotric has got that promised already. Hoppa won't be playing Fullback either. Just don't know where you play him.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Agreed, I have my own fears with both guys. What do you do though? Drop your captain? Move Elliot from his best position?

I think RFM had a great year this year considering the circumstances, but I also agree on the crisitism you've given.
Elliott starts on the edge, he can run a line better than most of our forwards and has a bit of ball playing in him. I personally think an edge forward that can ball play is more valuable than a middle that can so I don't see that as a reason to keep him in the middle.

Jackson has better PC metres and can find a quick play the ball, if he's going to have a decent end to his career it will be through the middle and not on an edge. RFM just needs to focus on carrying the ball, breaking tackles and looking to offload...i could easily see him going 150m+ a week with a multiple tackle breaks and offloads a game if he gets decent minutes.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My hesitation with Hoppa is the recent rumours he may be told he's no longer wanted.

Other issue is he's a right centre and Cotric has got that promised already. Hoppa won't be playing Fullback either. Just don't know where you play him.
Put him at left centre if Cotric is right. I agree he wont be fb.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
So the below I believe are the players we have confirmed (At least for now) on our books for 2021. I think we all know this squad still has a heap of changes to come, but for now this is what we have.

1. Brandon Wakeham
  2. Christian Crichton
  4. Jake Averillo
  5. Jayden Okunbor
  6. Lachlen Lewis
  7. Nick Meaney
  8. Reimis Smith
  9. Will Hopoate
  10. Nick Cotric
  11. Kyle Flanagan
  12. Adam Elliot
  13. Chris Smith
  14. Blake Green
  15. Jack Hetherington
  16. Corey Waddell
  18. Josh Jackson
  19. Dylan Napa
  20. James Roumanos
  21. Jeremy Marshall-King
  22. Joe Stimson
  23. Luke Thomspson
  24. Matt Doorey
  25. Ofahiki Ogden
  26. Renouf To'omaga
  27. Sione Katoa
I think the below are the only genuine lock ins so far. The rest are pending possible recruits, pending players leaving elsewhere or players impressing Trent Barrett in the off season.

10. Luke Thompson
13. Adam Elliot (Middle)
-----
15. Jack Hetherington

Averillo will be there somewhere, but I think a lot depends on the signing of JAC. Averillo will be first choice Fullback if we don't snare JAC. We'll also likely have Smith on the wing too if the swap doesn't happen.

Kyle Flanagan's got the keys to the bus with this team. I have full confidence he's going to kill it for us especially on that right edge which has been crying for a real play maker for far too long now. I think the combo of Elliot, Flanagan and Cotric shifting the ball on that right edge could turn into something special. The cherry on top is Flanagan being one of the premier goal kickers of the NRL. What a massive coup he's going to be for our club!

I think it's obvious to see the biggest issue right now is the dummy half position. We can't go another season with JMK and Katoa at the helm and I don't see Barrett being content with that combo Rd1 either. You get a legitimate dummy half into this team and we go from bottom 4 to genuine top 8 threat overnight. I don't know who we sign and who's actually available, but we have to be aggressive in the market with this one and we have to get it done.

I'm excited to see how Thompson goes next year after the run he had in 2020 too. He was looking real good in his last few games there. Wait for him to be settled in Sydney with his Mrs over here too. He's going to go to another level next year and be a revelation in the NRL.

Trent Barrett absolutely loves Adam Elliot. Barrett has a track record of heavily relying on his Locks in attack. Jake Trbojevic played his best arguably under Barrett and the same can be said for
Isaah Yeo this year too, who's been a revelation. Watch for Elliot to evolve his attacking style and become a key player in this lineup.

I'll stop waffling in a sec, but before I do I wanted to talk about a forgotten player in our squad. Joe Stimson has become a bit of a joke here on TK and is only being remembered for the trial form and 1 NRL game he played for us this year. This guy is a genuine NRL player - has the skill of a 5/8 with the power and line running of a genuine edge back-rower. Watch for him to make an impact in 2021. He's shown results both on the left and right edges at the Storm. Watch for him to start off the bench to begin the year and turn into a fan favorite as the year goes on.

I'm really excited for 2021. We've got the entire coaching staff on-point and we're slowly starting to see a squad resembling an NRL team. There's a lot to look forward to.

Is there anyone I'm missing? What's everyone's thoughts on what a realistic lineup could look like for 2021?
I think you’ll find that Roumanos, Doorey &
Katoa are still listed as 2021 Development players. They won’t be counted in the Top 30 unless T Baz upgrades them. I could be wrong, but that’s my
understanding...

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Still about 12 players in that list that needed to be punted. Seems like we are moving in the right direction though

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Both fit young gun players. Excited to see how they go next season
topine not big may need a huge offseason but both were ballboys in the bubble this year

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Elliott starts on the edge, he can run a line better than most of our forwards and has a bit of ball playing in him. I personally think an edge forward that can ball play is more valuable than a middle that can so I don't see that as a reason to keep him in the middle.

Jackson has better PC metres and can find a quick play the ball, if he's going to have a decent end to his career it will be through the middle and not on an edge. RFM just needs to focus on carrying the ball, breaking tackles and looking to offload...i could easily see him going 150m+ a week with a multiple tackle breaks and offloads a game if he gets decent minutes.
Agree pending what happens with Topine I want Elliot on our right edge. Which would now feature Flanagan / Elliot / Cotric which is way more creative than anything we've had in a long time

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score

1. Brandon Wakeham
  2. Christian Crichton
  4. Jake Averillo
  5. Jayden Okunbor
  6. Lachlen Lewis
  7. Nick Meaney
  8. Reimis Smith
  9. Will Hopoate
  10. Nick Cotric
  11. Kyle Flanagan
  12. Adam Elliot
  13. Chris Smith
  14. Blake Green
  15. Jack Hetherington
  16. Corey Waddell
  18. Josh Jackson
  19. Dylan Napa
  20. James Roumanos
  21. Jeremy Marshall-King
  22. Joe Stimson
  23. Luke Thomspson
  24. Matt Doorey
  25. Ofahiki Ogden
  26. Renouf To'omaga
  27. Sione Katoa

10. Luke Thompson
13. Adam Elliot (Middle)
-----
15. Jack Hetherington

Well said. Nice to read someone with a positive attitude for a change

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I actually think RFM was at his best coming off the bench as a middle man in 2018. Will be interesting to see what Barrett goes with.

Doorey has a future and I've liked what I've seen so far from him. Waddell I actually haven't seen much of because I avoid watching Manly play lol
That's the big issue is see, can't have Stimson, Waddell and Doorey in the same team... Hopefully Doorey is the one who wins out in the end and the other 2 are cup players.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
This is what I currently got.

1. William Hopoate
2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
3. +Nick Cotric
4. Reimis Smith
5. Nick Meaney
6. Jake Averillo
7. +Kyle Flanagan
8. Ofahiki Ogden
9. Jeremy Marshall-King
10. Renouf To'omaga
11. Josh Jackson
12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
13. Adam Elliott

14. Matt Doorey
15. +Jack Hetherington
16. Dylan Napa
17. +Corey Waddell

Can mix the positions around like Elliott/Jackson, it's whatever. These are the 17 I'd have.

Joe Stimson?

Jayden Okunbor - ACL
+Blake Green - ACL
Luke Thompson - Suspended

Shop/Release/Run Down
Dean Britt
Christian Crichton
Blake Green
Sione Katoa
Lachlan Lewis
Dylan Napa
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak