News A Dog’s Breakfast To Whole New Pedigree

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Dufty has been the cause for much criticism. However he is good on his day.
With better support players around him, he should perform very well.
I remember another St. George reject who received the same criticism from the Kennel.
His name was Luke Patten. I think he went OK.
Yeh, its only about finding consistency with Dufty. He has all the skills and speed we need. Ive seen him have turbo/tedesco like games, but not every week. Maybe as he was at odds with the coach it contributed to his inconsistency? If we find a way to get his best at least 3 out of every 4 games, we have a great buy.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allen and Flanno probably had other options before coming here, now their careers are probably over.

Dufty had no offers from NRL clubs, he was coming from the team tipped to win the spoon to the team who actually won the spoon and still only got a one year deal, it was ESL or the Dogs. Maybe he revives his career here who knows.

Vaughn would be guaranteed a starting spot somewhere else, even if he has been on the decline for a few years. He’s a serial dumbshit and we scooped him up for a bargain. If he fucks up he’s gone, no risk for us really as long as we don’t offer him more money or a big extension.
Either way I think Dufty is a one year plan at the dogs. If he performs (which I hope he does) I think there is some substance to the Dolphins rumour. He will be offered a deal greater than we will offer him.

I think Vaughn will be a really good signing for us. He is the type of solid middle forward we have been lacking. He is on his last chance so I think he will behave now. I can see him finishing his career at the dogs but on a year on year basis. On a cut price value deal.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeh, its only about finding consistency with Dufty. He has all the skills and speed we need. Ive seen him have turbo/tedesco like games, but not every week. Maybe as he was at odds with the coach it contributed to his inconsistency? If we find a way to get his best at least 3 out of every 4 games, we have a great buy.
I think you may be on the money. Quite a few players have issues with the coach at Saints.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dufty signing on for one year keeps him keen, focussed, and honest. Either he performs and gets a contract extension, or performs enough to show his worth to another club. He has no other option but to rise up and fire on all cylinders in every game, else risks his entire career.

Josh Cook is another player who will come out swinging, as he knows Mahoney is coming in 2023. Either he wants to fire and partner him, or let JMK / BBO / Topine take his spot alongside Mahoney in 2023.

I honestly think we should end up somewhere between 6th and 10th. With the players we have recruited, theres talent across almost every position.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Either way I think Dufty is a one year plan at the dogs. If he performs (which I hope he does) I think there is some substance to the Dolphins rumour. He will be offered a deal greater than we will offer him.

I think Vaughn will be a really good signing for us. He is the type of solid middle forward we have been lacking. He is on his last chance so I think he will behave now. I can see him finishing his career at the dogs but on a year on year basis. On a cut price value deal.
Personally I hope Brimson fails at 6 and hates it and then we steal him off Titans.
1. Brimson
6. Burton
9. Mahoney
Would be so good. I can see us making a play at Ponga though tbh

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But you’re guessing who other clubs might or might not have been chasing, as we all are.

Allen had a pretty good year with the Wabbits and played SOO, directly before he signed with us. The fact that he had an average year with us last year is irrelevant.

Whether Flanagan is now being shopped around (which he isn’t) is similarly irrelevant. I do know that there were other teams talking to his manager but Barrett convinced him to join us.

Dufty took the same deal as Vaughan, who you didn’t mention. Of the 2 my view is Vaughan was most likely the least favoured option, with his age and discipline record, to be fielding offers from others.

Always a Bulldog
I agree.

Regarding Flanagan, just before we signed him there was a report that the Sharks made a late offer and we had to increase our offer a bit to land him. He wasn't completely terrible at the Roosters. He would have been of interest "then" to other clubs surely especially his former junior club who didn't want to lose him to the Roosters in the first place.

With Allan there were reports his manager was asking for 500k per season which was a little rich for most clubs. Dogs got him a little cheaper hopefully. Difficult for anyone to shine in our team last year. I do remember a try he scored where he showed he wasn't as slow as some of us thought.

With Dufty the Raiders were considering him reportedly but maybe he was asking more than they were prepared to pay. With Vaughan again it probably depended on his price. He was on 800K at Saints. Do we seriously believe no-one else would have signed him on cheap money if we didn't ?

With ANY player we don't know every offer they receive. It's unlikely the media pick up or report "every" offer a player receives. Clubs would obviously have a rough idea of how much a player is seeking before deciding whether or not to enter the race and then more chance of it making the media.

I'm sure if Dufty brought down his asking price many more clubs would have been seriously interested. Hopefully we didn't pay too much.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe your’re right, Dufty could have had a 3 year offer at another club but Baz convinced him to sign with us for minimum wage on a 1 year deal.
Oh goody, let's play ........ maybe he had a 1 year offer on minimum from the Warriors and he didn't want to move to NZ. Or a 1 year offer from Cowboys and Toonsville was too hot and humid, hence not an attractive place for him to live. Maybe the Dolphins offered him a Qld Cap contract for 2022 and then an option for 1 year NRL deal for 2023. Maybe he suffers from ranidaphobia and the cane toads would have bee too much for him. Maybe half a dozen ESL clubs made offers above minimum but he doesn't have a passport.

Who the fark knows what he was and wasn't offered, or why he chose us, we are all just guessing.

Always a Bulldog

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dufty will put in his all for a year.. reality is we shouldn’t expect to make the 8, however we have the speed , an potential with our new look squad. But if we don’t !! we are definitely headed in the right direction, and 22 will be much improved in recent years. Many more wins, and with Gus back at the doggs it won’t be a long wait for our road/rise back to the top. That’s what he’s here for and that’s what will happen.!!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe your’re right, Dufty could have had a 3 year offer at another club but Baz convinced him to sign with us for minimum wage on a 1 year deal.
And he could have had an offer for similar money somewhere that he'd have needed to rehome himself and his family meaning that it'd be more hassle than it was worth even if he was joining an already more competitive team.

Perhaps the vision being sold by the club was enticing but he made a one year deal on a reduced wage on the proviso that if he showed consistent form he'd be upgraded on a bigger deal.

NovaScotiaDog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Dufty took a one year deal with the wooden spooners, if there was any other deal on the table he would have taken it, carpool lol

Flanno unwanted at the Roosters, is now being shopped unfortunately there’s no takers.

Allen couldn’t nail down a spot in possibly the worst first grade side that’s ever been fielded.
Unlike a lot on here, I have a little faith in our coaching staff, I am prepared to see what happens this year before I doom and gloom. Your right dufty signed a 1 year contract for maybe not much, that to me is a smart move. Let’s be a bit more positive and see what happens hopefully then we won’t have to moan and groan

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember another St. George reject who received the same criticism from the Kennel.
Barba was also criticised when he was put into the fullback role.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patten was good on his day but man he used to frustrate the hell out of me when he used to slip just before getting tackled. I don’t know whether it was his boots or him falling so he doesn’t get hit

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For junior clubs Beverly Hills is the edge of the CB district and Penshurst, in the StGeorge district, is the next suburb to Beverly Hills, so it is most definitely on the boarder. Kingsgrove (CB) and Hurstville (StG) similarly.

Always a Bulldog
I’m pretty sure (but won’t put my house on it hahaha) that Kingsgrove is split wheee the creek was/is or, now M5.
I know this because my old man is a Dragons fan and he had been told many many times growing up the creek is where it splits, and he uses to live on the STG side of the creek in a street than ran between it and the railway.

Diatribe 2000

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure (but won’t put my house on it hahaha) that Kingsgrove is split wheee the creek was/is or, now M5.
I know this because my old man is a Dragons fan and he had been told many many times growing up the creek is where it splits, and he uses to live on the STG side of the creek in a street than ran between it and the railway.
Yeah spot on
Hurstville is Dragons heartland, hardly the ‘border’
Lot of distance from Todd Park to Canterbury Road!