95-year-old Clare Nowland tasered by police and ‘fighting for life

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like a good shit could kill her, my grandmother at 96 had a hard time cutting up her roast potatoes at lunch, was a taser really necessary I think not, even is she had a slash and a swing it would be lucky to break the skin

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
They said on the radio it was a male cop with over 10 years experience. It sounds like it wasn’t the taser that’s caused the injuries, she fractured her skull when she hit the ground. If you can’t wrestle a knife off a 95 year old woman or use a chair or your bat etc maybe you’re in the wrong job

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They said on the radio it was a male cop with over 10 years experience. It sounds like it wasn’t the taser that’s caused the injuries, she fractured her skull when she hit the ground. If you can’t wrestle a knife off a 95 year old woman or use a chair or your bat etc maybe you’re in the wrong job
Yeah I was thinking it was either a female who was out of her depth physically or a man who has no empathy or compassion. Ive never been in law enforcement or had any training but I reckon I could have got the knife of her and no harm to either of us. Such a tragedy that one idiots actions puts a stain on the whole force.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Says she was tasered twice! Once in the chest and second in the back...isn't that akin to being shot in the back? Was she fleeing the scene of the heinous crime on her walking frame?

Brain injury ...not expected to live more than a few days. She couldn't recover from such a traumatic injury sufficiently anyway I guess so relatives expecting her to pass on over the weekend.

Last edited:

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I think the Police do a good job overall and before anyone goes on about it I can tell you my fair share of crap stories I’ve experienced. But it’s not an easy job and fuck knows how this ended up this way but something really fucked up.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the Police do a good job overall and before anyone goes on about it I can tell you my fair share of crap stories I’ve experienced. But it’s not an easy job and fuck knows how this ended up this way but something really fucked up.
I bet my left nut there would be a ton of cops atm thinking what the fuck were those guys thinking. Sure they are trained to do that in these situations but fuck me ,wouldn't you go OK, this is my training but...... circumstances are a bit different. I really can't see how anyone could not disarm a 95 year old lady. Worst case her wrist is broken and you may get a cut that wouldn't even require stitches.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I bet my left nut there would be a ton of cops atm thinking what the fuck were those guys thinking. Sure they are trained to do that in these situations but fuck me ,wouldn't you go OK, this is my training but...... circumstances are a bit different. I really can't see how anyone could not disarm a 95 year old lady. Worst case her wrist is broken and you may get a cut that wouldn't even require stitches.
Go back to the police car.

Get out your riot shield.

Explain that a knife is dangerous so I need this shield to protect US both. Please put the knife on the floor or throw it over there away from yourself.

Approach the old lady with a cup of tea or picture of her family that would be in her room and tell her they are coming to visit her soon so let's get the staff to settle you in at the family room while you wait for them to come and give you a big hug and listen to what is troubling you atm.

Last edited:

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I work in the pubic health system, Not sure what knife she had but most are plastic or made out of wood, so not sure if it was a metal knife.

Yes i think staff could of handled this better, staff deal with this all the time and calling the police was pretty excessive and tasering was overboard imo

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Yeah we don’t pull out the tasers we decompress the situation and don’t overwhelm her with 6 people in uniform and we have female officer try and calm her down and get her family on the phone with the help of a nurse if possible. I mean though I wasn’t there so how would I know what went down.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Lucky she is white, if she were black they would of shot her instead.
Cops will draw their gun on anyone.
I had the cops draw their weapons on me and my friends when we were kids.
The occupants in the car were all aged 14-17.
Not one black kid in the car!

I met Anthony Dilorenzo.
I actually felt bad for him.
My friend brought up 1997 to him and he started having a PTSD moment where he thought he was back on the beach with a crazy frog ready to stab him again!

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
95 year old with a knife is as much threat as a kid with a popgun.. Should not have used such excessive force.. Many another options should have been taken first..such as throw a blanket over her arm with the knife for example.. Just unbelievable.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
More than ever the police force need another sector seperate from the police who they have to answer and justify to when they mess up or do something corrupt.

how can anyone take the police seriously when they investigate police corruption?
It’s obvious the police will do the best they can to stick up for each other to save face of their organisation!

The police are actually classed as a business.
It’s a good one too because crime will never go away.

either way a seperate body needs to be created which investigates police actions and the police must hold accountability!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I've worked and volunteered in nursing homes for 8 years in the actual secured dementia ward. Locked, security coded and fully gated. This type of distressing incidents happen quite a lot. Residents aren't themselves. They act in all kinds of odd ways and can get aggressive, shout, hit staff, wander around the corridor all night upset over something that has set them off. Could be anything and no one knows what it is unless it's a routine occurrence.

I have seen some very disturbing things and wanted to get my mother outa there. It seemed too confronting for the fairy tale placid place I thought she would see out her last years in.

Eventually, if you spend enough time in the ward, you realise 90% of the staff are angels and can handle these incidents as part of the job, as well as shower and toilet an unco-operative mentally challenged frail man or woman who resist at every turn. The staff deserve a huge pay increase.

I am assuming these were relatively new staff who couldn't handle the situation and called police.

The nursing home need to be investigated along with the police so that these types of incidences can be handled better by everyone.

Last edited:

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Shocking story. Knife or not, there would have been a million ways to diffuse the situation without tasering her.
1. ask her to drop the knife
2. beg her to drop the knife
3. explain/lie that M*A*S*H reruns are on TV and about to start
4. use her grandchild as a bait/hostage, like put them in the middle of everything so they would be the first ones to get stabbed

ive got 4 already

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
btw what is the age where you begin to be above the law/taser?, we should agree on it and put it into the cops manual

i think 82

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Lucky it wasn’t those riot squad tossers or they would’ve broken every bone in her body

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Lucky it wasn’t those riot squad tossers or they would’ve broken every bone in her body
True. They’re a bit on themselves usually.
Can we blame Bill Harrigan? A referee and a cop! :-).

The optics aren’t great and it seems very hard to justify but at the end of the day only those in the room know what happened. Oh, and cops don’t carry ‘riot shields’ in their cars, so new tactic required…