BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't need to know how Wakeham plays at 9 when he has shown he cant defend. 9 is a middle 3rd position that requires a lot more fitness than a 6 or 7 and an ability to consistently defend the big kahoona's ploughing down that centre 3rd. He also has to defend the crash ball. I dont have faith he can do that based on the games he has played in 1st grade.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Look, I know that seriously the guy has had 3 yrs,tries hard but just notfirst grade,cotter played all over him last night.I don’t think he would make first grade at any other club. But......

.... what was the question again?

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't need to know how Wakeham plays at 9 when he has shown he cant defend. 9 is a middle 3rd position that requires a lot more fitness than a 6 or 7 and an ability to consistently defend the big kahoona's ploughing down that centre 3rd. He also has to defend the crash ball. I dont have faith he can do that based on the games he has played in 1st grade.
it’s a lot easier tackling blokes running predictably straight in the middle than it is where he would normally defend at 6 or 7. He appears to have put a little muscle on and I don’t think his fitness has ever been a real issue.

Reactions: CMP

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Wakehams defence isn't as bad as some of you guys make out...he just happened to get isolated a few times, go high and got bumped off and it looked spectacular. Most of the times his reads are decent and he sets himself well. Eeryone seems remember when Su'A bumped him off yet conveniently forgets when he pulled off a try saver minutes later on him and stopped him 1on1 on the line.

Just some stats...10 games, 85% tackle efficiency, 3 try causes, 3 line break causes.

Lewis... 13 games, 82% TE, 14 TC, 10 LBC.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wakehams defence isn't as bad as some of you guys make out...he just happened to get isolated a few times, go high and got bumped off and it looked spectacular. Most of the times his reads are decent and he sets himself well. Eeryone seems remember when Su'A bumped him off yet conveniently forgets when he pulled off a try saver minutes later on him and stopped him 1on1 on the line.

Just some stats...10 games, 85% tackle efficiency, 3 try causes, 3 line break causes.

Lewis... 13 games, 82% TE, 14 TC, 10 LBC.
LOL.. what has Lewis stats got to do with Wakehams ability to play 9..?

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The modern day nine needs a kicking game and needs to be a threat. I look at how Josh Hodgson plays at the Raiders. He takes that team to a higher level and is a big factor in their climb up the NRL pecking order

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
LOL.. what has Lewis stats got to do with Wakehams ability to play 9..?
To provide evidence that supports my belief that Wakeham is not as poor a defender as some believe. They both defended in similar positions so it seems reasonable to put their numbers side by side.

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm not trying to poo poo your comment as I have no doubt the stats a correct but stats are just that. As dysfunctional as Lewis has been as a play maker their is no doubt that he has made try saving tackles on the line which Wakeham is not physically able to do. He is a little like Cogger just a little small to take on the big poppers in the middle. He has a good around the legs type tackle technique which works on the out side backs

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The best decent option / stop gap at hooker we've had in years was Cogger. Kid showed more in one game there than JMK and Katoa ever did and Pay the dog **** dropped him the following week.

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Barrett wants to play a certain way obviously he has a 9 in mind..has that 9 not come off contract or hasn't appeared yet ie his ideal 9 considering the way he wants to play?

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still think Wakeham is being groomed as an option. If he can handle it defensively he should be able to handle the role. He has some kicking game, a bit of pace and a reasonable pass. Plus I don't think he has a future with us in the halves other than a fill in due to injury.
I appreciate a good laugh as well @enoughsaid. So why do you find Wakeham at 9 funny?

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
I appreciate a good laugh as well @enoughsaid. So why do you find Wakeham at 9 funny?
Wakeham will look good in a mounties Jersey
u just cant construct a 9 out of shit
Needs to pass off the ground, quick service, 50 tackles

the myth has none of that

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wakeham will look good in a mounties Jersey
u just cant construct a 9 out of shit
Needs to pass off the ground, quick service, 50 tackles

the myth has none of that
Most hookers average 35-40 tackles a game (Cam Smith 38a) not 50 but that is still the big question mark. There have been plenty of hookers that started out as halves including Smith and Cooke. I cant see Wakeham staying at the club as a half, but unless you know something we all don't there is few options for us in 2.

JMK (does not have the footy smarts) or Katoa who is a reject. Surely its worth having a look?

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Most hookers average 35-40 tackles a game (Cam Smith 38a) not 50 but that is still the big question mark. There have been plenty of hookers that started out as halves including Smith and Cooke. I cant see Wakeham staying at the club as a half, but unless you know something we all don't there is few options for us in 2.

JMK (does not have the footy smarts) or Katoa who is a reject. Surely its worth having a look?
I would'nt be wasting anymore resources on Wakeham

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it’s a lot easier tackling blokes running predictably straight in the middle than it is where he would normally defend at 6 or 7. He appears to have put a little muscle on and I don’t think his fitness has ever been a real issue.
Exactly this!

At 9 you get a lot of traffic coming at you so your volume of defence is greater than out wider.
But there is little decision making required. If your technique is good it’s not a hard position to defend.

Contrary to popular belief. Wakeham is actually fairly good defensively. It’s his ability to control the play with ballin hand is where he falls down. I think having Flanagan as a dominant controlling half he might go ok at hooker.

While not great by any means, JMK is miles better than Katoa though. Anyone suggesting he is the answer is watching a different game to me.

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here, so go easy on me!

I know its not his position, and I'm not sure if anyone else has seen more of him than I have, but any chance Doorey could slot into the 9?

I saw one game last year where he came off the bench as a utility and the idea came to me.
Pro's:
More size than Wakeham and JMK to slow down the big men in the middle.
Better attacking vision and ball running than JMK.

Cons's:
Not really sure how he tracks defensively.
Its not his preferred position. (little to no experience there)

Last edited:

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here, so go easy on me!

I know its not his position, and I'm not sure if anyone else has seen more of him than I have, but any chance Doorey could slot into the 9?

I saw one game last year where he came off the bench as a utility and the idea came to me.
Pro's:
More size than Wakeham and JMK to slow down the big men in the middle.
Better attacking vision and ball running than JMK.

Cons's:
Not really sure how he tracks defensively.
Its not his preferred position. (little to no experience there)
He'd be the tallest hooker in the game by a stretch.

*Cue sound board* THAT"S A HUGE BITCH

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He'd be the tallest hooker in the game by a stretch.

*Cue sound board* THAT"S A HUGE BITCH
Is that a disadvantage? Apart from becoming a hunch back before you turn 30.

Last edited:

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that a disadvantage? Apart from becoming a hunch back before you turn 30.
I’m assuming taller hookers would tend to pass the ball higher, which would cause the receiver to catch the ball in a non-ideal position over the chest.