Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Kick from dummy half, get the fuck outta here. JMK is a blow fish. Will be gone at the end of the year. I would give up on him entirely my friend. I wish nothing but the best for JMK at another club far far away from Belmore
I think he’s got one. A good one maybe not, at this stage. One worth working on, yes, at this stage.

And I’ll say even now, starting tomorrow, it’s better than the dumb arse kicks Mick Ennis used to try and fail with 99% of the time with us.

which makes him the best kicker from DH we’ve had this decade. Sad but true.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everybody wants a running darting #9 like Damien Cook or a game managing #9 like Cam Smith. Problem is, there’s only one of each in the game and a handful of others that do some of one or both without never really getting close.

Thing is though, that’s not the most important thing you need out of your #9 to win comps, and I’ll provide proof of such.

What you need out of your #9 is the things they’re gonna spend 90% of the game doing above all else. Passing off the ground and hitting a moving target one and two wide, preferable three, and defending in the middle all day every day. I’d also throw in a kick from DH but even that’s not as important as the previous two. Everything else, the darting, the game management, is a bonus that you want, but don’t necessarily need dependant on the rest of your spine.

And that proof I was talking about - Easts won two comps in a row and three in a decade with a #9 who’s main and maybe only strengths were hitting moving targets one and two wide, with the odd kick, and tackling all day in the middle and not much else. When he did run 9/10 he’d get bowled over within half a dozen steps. Sure he got some metres sometimes, but only sometimes. That wasn’t what he was selected every week for.

Cronulla also won a comp with a #9 who did more of the fancy things with us under Des Hasler than he ever did at Cronulla. His main task at Cronulla was to hit the forwards and feed the backs and give everyone the shits.

So......

I guess I haven’t given up on JMK in a team with the rest of the spine shining. He can defend in the middle all day, he can kick from DH when he’s shown it, wether he can hit a moving target one, two, three wide passing from the ground I’m undecided about. And if he can run a few times a game, there’s that, maybe.

I just don’t think the bar is as high as everyone who wants Cook/Smith clones would have it.

Just do what has to be done 90% of the game competently, and review at the end of ‘21.

But give him that chance.
Seriously the guy has had 3 yrs,tries hard but just not first grade,cotter played all over him last night.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everybody wants a running darting #9 like Damien Cook or a game managing #9 like Cam Smith. Problem is, there’s only one of each in the game and a handful of others that do some of one or both without never really getting close.

Thing is though, that’s not the most important thing you need out of your #9 to win comps, and I’ll provide proof of such.

What you need out of your #9 is the things they’re gonna spend 90% of the game doing above all else. Passing off the ground and hitting a moving target one and two wide, preferable three, and defending in the middle all day every day. I’d also throw in a kick from DH but even that’s not as important as the previous two. Everything else, the darting, the game management, is a bonus that you want, but don’t necessarily need dependant on the rest of your spine.

And that proof I was talking about - Easts won two comps in a row and three in a decade with a #9 who’s main and maybe only strengths were hitting moving targets one and two wide, with the odd kick, and tackling all day in the middle and not much else. When he did run 9/10 he’d get bowled over within half a dozen steps. Sure he got some metres sometimes, but only sometimes. That wasn’t what he was selected every week for.

Cronulla also won a comp with a #9 who did more of the fancy things with us under Des Hasler than he ever did at Cronulla. His main task at Cronulla was to hit the forwards and feed the backs and give everyone the shits.

So......

I guess I haven’t given up on JMK in a team with the rest of the spine shining. He can defend in the middle all day, he can kick from DH when he’s shown it, wether he can hit a moving target one, two, three wide passing from the ground I’m undecided about. And if he can run a few times a game, there’s that, maybe.

I just don’t think the bar is as high as everyone who wants Cook/Smith clones would have it.

Just do what has to be done 90% of the game competently, and review at the end of ‘21.

Seriously the guy has had 3 yrs,tries hard but just not first grade,cotter played all over him last night.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

So......

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

So......

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

So......

Seriously the guy has had 3 yrs,tries hard but just notfirst grade,cotter played all over him last night.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

So......

Seriously the guy has had 3 yrs,tries hard but just notfirst grade,cotter played all over him last night.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

So......

Seriously the guy has had 3 yrs,tries hard but just notfirst grade,cotter played all over him last night.I don’t think he would make first grade at any other club.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

So......

Seriously the guy has had 3 yrs,tries hard but just notfirst grade,cotter played all over him last night.I don’t think he would make first grade at any other club.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

So......

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Katao, JMK are the 2 known 9's in our top 30 for 2021. Wakeham will lose us games at 9 because he isnt up to middle tackling. Katoa goes missing in attack and defence and can throw some terrible passes. I swear he simply isnt fit enough for NRL. that leaves us with JMK. Whether you like him or hate him he will play a lot of minutes at 9 in 2021.
[/
Wakeham will lose us games at 9 because he isnt up to middle tackling.
how do you know this? How many games have you seen him play at 9?

I wouldn’t even play jmk on the bench!
Straight to reserve grade with Lewis

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
, it’s better than the dumb arse kicks Mick Ennis used to try and fail with 99% of the time with us.

People go on about how ennis got to use his kicking game at Cronulla, he always used it at Canterbury but was fricken shit at kicking he would put the worst kicks in..

he fluked a couple of good kicks at Cronulla that stopped in the in goal and everyone wants to say how good his kicking game was.

wakeham and katoa ahead of jmk if i was coach

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

So......

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Seriously the guy has had 3 yrs,tries hard but just notfirst grade,cotter played all over him last night.I don’t think he would make first grade at any other club

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Seriously the guy has had 3 yrs,tries hard but just notfirst grade,cotter played all over him last night.I don’t think he would make first grade at any other club

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think, if Jake Friend played for any other team except Easts, everyone here, would call him a plodder.

I’ve never seen a post in all the #9 discussions on here, or indeed any Bulldog forum, call for going after Jake Friend.

That’s because everyone wants the superstar #9. Even though the plodder’s won 3 comps.
lol Friend is no plodder, he plays a bit busted these days with injuries etc. He has been a top dummy half for a long time, he is one of the best at passing flat on the advantage line.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When I saw the title I thought it was a thread about a Beetles song