'88 Gf....

Status
Not open for further replies.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Now i know why corey playes the way he does. Too much watching old games.

But i reckon he was brought up tough so he reckons that is how league is played. If corey was playing 20 years ago he would have been soft LoL.

They dont only give you facials they come in with a swining arm when you are playing the ball. LoL

How much league has changed. 20 years ago it was a tough mans sport. Now you touch somebody and you are penalised.

Good on ya corey for keeping the spirit alive.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Titanium Doggie said:
Ah those were the Days... was Hagan playing in that or had he gone to Newy by then.... I can't remember... I do know that Folkesy was there, as was Cement Gillespie... ah I love watching old grand finals... because I wasn't old enough to remember them then.... :grinning:
I think Hagan was lock in the 88 GF.

Bashman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Definitely on Channel 10, and Michael Hagan played half back for the Dogs that Day as Turvey had broken his arm in about Rd 20.

Great Days

Wolfpac

4 Life
Reaction score
watched some of it tonight

geeez it brought back some memories...

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was definitely Channel 10. Who could forget the State Bank Big Game with Graeme Hughes at 6.30pm ? Remember watching the news and avoiding the footy scores...

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keefy said:
Hagan played Halfback for the injured Steve Mortimer.
In that game, while he was named at 7, Hagan actually played 5/8th with Lamb feeding the scrums etc.

1 Jason Alchin
2 Glen Nissen
3 Andrew Farrar
4 Tony Currie
5 Robin Thorne
7 Michael Hagan
6 Terry Lamb (he played halfback)
8 Paul Langmack
9 Steve Folkes
10 David Gillespie
11 Paul Dunn
12 Joe Thomas
13 Peter Tunks [c]

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
Hodgo007 said:
In that game, while he was named at 7, Hagan actually played 5/8th with Lamb feeding the scrums etc.
Oh well I was close enough :p

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
Check out that side... we should get Salary Cap exemptions from the NRL for creating so many coaches and trainers...LOL.... :p :p :p

1 Jason Alchin- Coaching Juniors
2 Glen Nissen
3 Andrew Farrar- Former St George Illawarra Coach, now coaching staff in ESL
4 Tony Currie
5 Robin Thorne
7 Michael Hagan- Coach of Parramatta 2007
6 Terry Lamb (he played halfback)- Coaching Staff and Trainer for Bulldogs
8 Paul Langmack- Coaching Staff and Trainer for Wests Tigers
9 Steve Folkes- Coach of Bulldogs
10 David Gillespie- Coaching Staff and Trainer for Roosters
11 Paul Dunn- Former CEO of Souths
12 Joe Thomas
13 Peter Tunks [c]

Look at that... out of the 1988 side, 8 of them turned out to be future coaches, coaching staff or CEO's for the NRL, the NRL should be paying us by the truckload for all the things we give them as a club... :p :p

Jeff

Waterboy
Reaction score
Alchin was a reserve grade coach for Wests, Currie coached the London Broncos, Lamb coached Wests Tigers, Langmack coached Souths, Tunks was a coach and CEO in England. Mark Sargent (bench) Manager at the Knights and Steve Mortimer (bench) CEO at Dogs. The coach was unfortunately Gus Gould who also played for us in 1984. There were others from previous years in the 80's that went on to bigger things also.

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
Geez... the NRL should pay for the every player that now helps or has helped them in admin and coaching from that 1988 team, then we could pay our team and still have a motzer of money for Grimmers to get paid what he deserves to be paid... :p :p

I never realised that we had so many go on to many great things... that must have been a good side... both football wise and mentally... :grinning:

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Keefy said:
Hagan played Halfback for the injured Steve Mortimer.
I knew he was in there somewhere. Time to watch it again and refresh the memory. I love watching the old games.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gus gould is so much like Stuart.

They came along. First year they won the flag (even though they did jack all it was the team that won it) and then they faded away but where still highly rated.

I think stuart is the most over rated coach since gould

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
On the issue of coaches - all these former players have been NRL coaches in the past 10 years ... and all were coached by Warren Ryan at some time in thier career.

Terry Lamb
Steve Folkes
Michael Hagan
Paul Langmack
Andrew Farrar
Chris Anderson
Phil Gould

& non Bulldogs

Tom Raudonikous
Wayne Pearce

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
boggie23 said:
Gus gould is so much like Stuart.

They came along. First year they won the flag (even though they did jack all it was the team that won it) and then they faded away but where still highly rated.

I think stuart is the most over rated coach since gould
How is Gould overrated as a coach ? Took us to the title in his first year. Took the Panthers to a title very early on. Is NSW most successful coach I do believe.....You might not like the guy but he is a great tactician and knows how to get the best out of his players...

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Hodgo007 said:
How is Gould overrated as a coach ? Took us to the title in his first year. Took the Panthers to a title very early on. Is NSW most successful coach I do believe.....You might not like the guy but he is a great tactician and knows how to get the best out of his players...
some would argue that gus got handfed title winning teams

that 88 team was definately the work of warren ryan, and when he went to penrith he had a bunch of talented juniors at his disposal

he did show promise with the roosters in the 90's, but wasnt able to win a premiership with a team he built from scratch

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
if you speak to alot of the players that have been coached by him they rate him as no.1... im not a fan of him - but i do think players opinions rate very highly as they know a whole lot more than we would about his style.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
bulldogruss said:
if you speak to alot of the players that have been coached by him they rate him as no.1... im not a fan of him - but i do think players opinions rate very highly as they know a whole lot more than we would about his style.
yeah, good point

he seems to be a master at preparation and has very good people skills

and he would know more about coaching then everyone one of us

but his performances as a colour commentator and his articles in the major newspapers is what makes everyone hate him

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
lets not mention his commentary....... thats a whole different chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.