$7m meat market

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fatal1

$7m meat market
By Peter Badel
April 3, 2005

AT least five representative stars have revealed they intend testing their value on the open market as NRL clubs prepare to jostle for $7million in Origin and Test talent.

And leading league identities predicted the NRL would witness the most intriguing bidding frenzy in years, with player manager George Mimis adamant there will be some big-name transfers.

With 84 days until the NRL's anti-tampering deadline passes, The Sunday Telegraph discovered more than 20 representative players remain unsigned by clubs.

A quarter of that group - Chris Flannery, Willie Mason, Braith Anasta, Luke Bailey and Simon Woolford - already have indicated their desire to become free agents on July 1.

Other stars yet to commit for 2006 include Brett Finch, Jason Cayless, Matt Bowen, Shaun Berrigan, Matt Orford, Ryan O'Hara, Clinton Schifcofske, Preston Campbell, Matt King, Chris Walker and Danny Buderus.

In all, over 80 players are expected to flood an open market estimated to be worth around $12m.

Such quality suggests the open market may have its most enticing look since 2000, when more than 100 players were up for grabs, headed by Brad Fittler, Andrew Johns, Brett Kimmorley, Jason Smith and Adam MacDougall.

Mimis claimed the code was set for a flurry of activity, with five clubs - Wests Tigers, Souths, Cronulla, Melbourne and Manly - revealing they have the funds to land at least one big-name player.

"I don't recall so many rep blokes being off-contract at the one time," SFX Sports' Mimis said.

"I wouldn't be surprised at all if we saw some big names on the move.

"The salary cap will force a lot of activity. Each team generally has two or three stars they can build a team around, but there will be some very good players who will be looking for a new home."

The Rabbitohs are emerging as the major market players. With a rumoured $1million to spend after announcing a lucrative move to Telstra Stadium next season, Souths want three big names and will go hard at Anasta if the Rabbitohs junior fails to strike a new deal at Belmore.

"We'll be very active," Souths chief executive Shane Richardson said. "Our focus is on keeping some blokes we have off-contract, but we are interested in three or four high-quality players to take us to the next level."

The Storm and Cronulla have been linked with off-contract Bulldogs forward Mason. But the Sharks have nominated Dragons Test prop Bailey as their chief target to replace Jason Stevens, who will retire at season's end.

"Stevo moving on frees up a bit of money for us," Sharks chief executive Steve Rogers said.

"I expect there to be some quality on the market and we are looking for a marquee player. Luke would be the ideal replacement for Stevo."

Manly, meanwhile, may be on the lookout for an outside back after the sacking of John Hopoate. Veteran centre Terry Hill is also expected to retire at season's end.

"It's going to be a tough market. There are a lot of cashed-up clubs and we'll be looking at the market seriously," Sea Eagles chief executive Paul Cummings said.

Three clubs unlikely to be overly active are the Roosters, Bulldogs and Canberra. The Roosters have eight players off-contract, while premiers the Bulldogs are battling to keep Mason, Anasta and Sonny Bill Williams.

The Raiders have four key men still unsigned - Origin stars O'Hara and Schifcofske and former Country Origin duo Woolford and Ian Hindmarsh.

"At this stage I'd say I'll be going on to the market," Woolford said.

"My preference is to stay at Canberra, but I certainly wouldn't rule out playing elsewhere next season."

www.foxsports.com.au

doggy done it

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
fatal1™ said:
$7m meat market
By Peter Badel
April 3, 2005

AT least five representative stars have revealed they intend testing their value on the open market as NRL clubs prepare to jostle for $7million in Origin and Test talent.

And leading league identities predicted the NRL would witness the most intriguing bidding frenzy in years, with player manager George Mimis adamant there will be some big-name transfers.

With 84 days until the NRL's anti-tampering deadline passes, The Sunday Telegraph discovered more than 20 representative players remain unsigned by clubs.

A quarter of that group - Chris Flannery, Willie Mason, Braith Anasta, Luke Bailey and Simon Woolford - already have indicated their desire to become free agents on July 1.

Other stars yet to commit for 2006 include Brett Finch, Jason Cayless, Matt Bowen, Shaun Berrigan, Matt Orford, Ryan O'Hara, Clinton Schifcofske, Preston Campbell, Matt King, Chris Walker and Danny Buderus.

In all, over 80 players are expected to flood an open market estimated to be worth around $12m.

Such quality suggests the open market may have its most enticing look since 2000, when more than 100 players were up for grabs, headed by Brad Fittler, Andrew Johns, Brett Kimmorley, Jason Smith and Adam MacDougall.

Mimis claimed the code was set for a flurry of activity, with five clubs - Wests Tigers, Souths, Cronulla, Melbourne and Manly - revealing they have the funds to land at least one big-name player.

"I don't recall so many rep blokes being off-contract at the one time," SFX Sports' Mimis said.

"I wouldn't be surprised at all if we saw some big names on the move.

"The salary cap will force a lot of activity. Each team generally has two or three stars they can build a team around, but there will be some very good players who will be looking for a new home."

The Rabbitohs are emerging as the major market players. With a rumoured $1million to spend after announcing a lucrative move to Telstra Stadium next season, Souths want three big names and will go hard at Anasta if the Rabbitohs junior fails to strike a new deal at Belmore.

"We'll be very active," Souths chief executive Shane Richardson said. "Our focus is on keeping some blokes we have off-contract, but we are interested in three or four high-quality players to take us to the next level."

The Storm and Cronulla have been linked with off-contract Bulldogs forward Mason. But the Sharks have nominated Dragons Test prop Bailey as their chief target to replace Jason Stevens, who will retire at season's end.

"Stevo moving on frees up a bit of money for us," Sharks chief executive Steve Rogers said.

"I expect there to be some quality on the market and we are looking for a marquee player. Luke would be the ideal replacement for Stevo."

Manly, meanwhile, may be on the lookout for an outside back after the sacking of John Hopoate. Veteran centre Terry Hill is also expected to retire at season's end.

"It's going to be a tough market. There are a lot of cashed-up clubs and we'll be looking at the market seriously," Sea Eagles chief executive Paul Cummings said.

Three clubs unlikely to be overly active are the Roosters, Bulldogs and Canberra. The Roosters have eight players off-contract, while premiers the Bulldogs are battling to keep Mason, Anasta and Sonny Bill Williams.

The Raiders have four key men still unsigned - Origin stars O'Hara and Schifcofske and former Country Origin duo Woolford and Ian Hindmarsh.

"At this stage I'd say I'll be going on to the market," Woolford said.

"My preference is to stay at Canberra, but I certainly wouldn't rule out playing elsewhere next season."

www.foxsports.com.au
i'm sick of the same crap every year-now they're bothering us about it from round 4. let's forget about it and win the bl.ody comp. again with whoever we got!
Bulldogs always do well with whatever players they have because WE GOT GUTS, unlike the sissy chooks!
Though i am worried about our form right now and melbourne is on fire.

tyco

Waterboy
Reaction score
doggy done it said:
i'm sick of the same crap every year-now they're bothering us about it from round 4. let's forget about it and win the bl.ody comp. again with whoever we got!
Bulldogs always do well with whatever players they have because WE GOT GUTS, unlike the sissy chooks!
Though i am worried about our form right now and melbourne is on fire.
well pleased to see you call the Roosters have no guts...hmmm and the bulldogs do??

They have both won one premiership each since the turn of the century. What I get pissed off with is your paranoid against the Roosters - I follow another club but let me rest assure you - you are making yourselves look like drongos having a fight with the Roosters....

I thought your main enemy was Parramatta?? the lemons remember??

Why not just worry about your club and not others...guts indeed....every footballer needs guts to walk onto a footy field - and I suppose you have played first grade - not at school but real football...becuase I reckon you are a wanker of the highest degree. and would run a mile

doggy done it

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
tyco said:
well pleased to see you call the Roosters have no guts...hmmm and the bulldogs do??

They have both won one premiership each since the turn of the century. What I get pissed off with is your paranoid against the Roosters - I follow another club but let me rest assure you - you are making yourselves look like drongos having a fight with the Roosters....

Why not just worry about your club and not others...guts indeed....every footballer needs guts to walk onto a footy field - and I suppose you have played first grade - not at school but real football...becuase I reckon you are a wanker of the highest degree. and would run a mile
i think ur one of those pillow biters from bondi

F

fatal1

tyco said:

the century is 5 years old, is that how old u r???

you dont know our history of overcoming adversity, we won the premiership last year despite all the s.hit that went on, ive got no doubt rorters would have fallen in a big heap if they went through the same!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.