76 Points In 7 Games

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yep, we could do much better. We once conceded 96 points in one game.
That 1935 team sure was a stinker! We gave up 90 plus, 80 plus and 70 plus all in the same year I think.. Plus it was 3 point tries then and a much slower game. Crazy..

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What stats mate?
I’m not sure how I am a Pay’s pet though? What have I ever said to indicate that? @Scoooby
Haha, it’s ok Nat..

Definition of pays pets = horse, nat, what army ? Can’t think of any others I’m missing?

Don’t take offence , it’s just an observation is all.!!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'd honestly like to hear the opinions of @Horse @Natboy @DinkumDog @speedy2460 @TwinTurbo @bradyk on these glaring stats.

Surely some of you would agree that it's not just down to poor talent and averaging 11 points a game and having the worst attack two years running isn't an acceptable FG standard?
Ben I don't think anyone disagrees our attack is poor - but again all on Pay - OK, he's the head coach, so he wears it.
Steve G is our attack coach.
Too many of our players are making regular poor errors.
Where's the scrutiny across the board?
And if you want to focus on stats apart from completions which were marginal, we were hammered everywhere else.
What about where the break was made (who was it, RFM?) and ZERO support. Is that a coaching issue?
The same thing happened last night as did against the Sharks:
- Wakeham, dropped ball - Tigers try.
- Holland, dropped ball - Tigers try.
- Averillo, dropped ball - Tigers try.
If we can't eliminate or substantially reduce BASIC errors in our game, of course we'll end up turning the ball over, defending for more than 50% of the time (60% last night), getting gassed, conceding points and losing.
Of course it's not FG standard - but 100% on the coaching? No, I don't buy that. Of the 17 who took the field last night I think we'd be lucky to call 8 of them FG standard.
We can go around in circles about who's to blame - and as I've said before I'm not against a new coach if it's the right replacement (which hasn't been identified beyond media speculation).
But consistently saying that replacing Pay immediately will fix everything - I don't agree. There's more than that that needs to change.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ben I don't think anyone disagrees our attack is poor - but again all on Pay - OK, he's the head coach, so he wears it.
Steve G is our attack coach.
Too many of our players are making regular poor errors.
Where's the scrutiny across the board?
And if you want to focus on stats apart from completions which were marginal, we were hammered everywhere else.
What about where the break was made (who was it, DWZ?) and ZERO support. Is that a coaching issue?
The same thing happened last night as did against the Sharks:
- Wakeham, dropped ball - Tigers try.
- Holland, dropped ball - Tigers try.
- Averillo, dropped ball - Tigers try.
If we can't eliminate or substantially reduce BASIC errors in our game, of course we'll end up turning the ball over, defending for more than 50% of the time (60% last night), getting gassed, conceding points and losing.
Of course it's not FG standard - but 100% on the coaching? No, I don't buy that. Of the 17 who took the field last night I think we'd be lucky to call 8 of them FG standard.
We can go around in circles about who's to blame - and as I've said before I'm not against a new coach if it's the right replacement (which hasn't been identified beyond media speculation).
But consistently saying that replacing Pay immediately will fix everything - I don't agree. There's more than that that needs to change.
Thanks for responding Dinkum..

They're all to blame. But Pay is the head coach. They get the blame. Not assistants. But they should all go. As should those in recruitment, the trainers etc..

The club is to blame for overseeing things and not providing better infrastructure, coaching staff and support staff and letting things progressively get worse over the years without being addressed.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for responding Dinkum..

They're all to blame. But Pay is the head coach. They get the blame. Not assistants. But they should all go. As should those in recruitment, the trainers etc..

The club is to blame for overseeing things and not providing better infrastructure, coaching staff and support staff and letting things progressively get worse over the years without being addressed.
That’s another problem though isn’t it - you can’t replace all and sundry at once. The club has its work cut out for it, let’s hope they can make measurable progress in time for 2021.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s another problem though isn’t it - you can’t replace all and sundry at once. The club has its work cut out for it, let’s hope they can make measurable progress in time for 2021.
Maybe not.. but they have to start now, and getting rid of the coach would be a good start, yea I know you won’t agree but that’s life, we all know it needs to happen, and it ain’t, and from where I’m looking in, they are sitting on their hands and doing sweet FA, we need some movement.!!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We pretty much have to though. Three years into the rebuild, we need to rebuild again!

Thankfully we have money to spend but if they waste it and we're stuck with the worst coaching staff and trainers in the league, then how will we ever improve?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We pretty much have to though. Three years into the rebuild, we need to rebuild again!

Thankfully we have money to spend but if they waste it and we're stuck with the worst coaching staff and trainers in the league, then how will we ever improve?
We don't improve

Kebab74

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If I need to look up some useless stat I would have taken a peak at NRL.Com..if we cant defend then this team should play in the NSW Cup or whatever they call these days

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Haha, it’s ok Nat..

Definition of pays pets = horse, nat, what army ? Can’t think of any others I’m missing?

Don’t take offence , it’s just an observation is all.!!
Yes but I don’t get what I’ve ever said for you to make that observation?
Is it because I don’t constantly whinge or create negative new threads every day?

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The below is a snapshot of the 7 from 10 we won to finish 2019 and the belief of virtually all on these forums was that with a solid uninterrupted off season and the addition of Stimson, Britt, Katoa and the rise of Averillo and Wakeham etc we should at least be looking to fight for a spot at the bottom of the 8 in 2020.

Now, before anyone reaches for the back peddle button I have already had a good look and even some of the harshest critics of Pay and also his biggest supporters although skeptical, were still buoyant about what might be in 2020.

And although we are/were still cap restricted we should be capable of putting on a reasonable showing to attract the players we want at the club with our "warchest"...

The number in brackets at the end of each line is the number of the 17 that played yesterday against the Tigers from the team lists from last year. We are missing CHN and Okonsnore from all games this year but we also played the likes of Smith and Liccha in the forwards and have added the likes of Averillo, Wakeham, Britt etc.

· Round 25 Defeated Broncos 30-14 (11/17)

· Round 24 Lost Cowboys 8-15 (12/17)

· Round 23 Defeated Eels 12-6 (13/17)

· Round 22 Defeated Rabbits 14-6 (12/17)

· Round 21 Defeated Tigers 18-16 (11/17)

· Round 20 Defeated Panthers 16-8 (11/17)

· Round 19 Lost Roosters 12-20 (11/17)

· Round 18 Lost Broncos 28-6 (11/17)

· Round 17 Defeated Knights 20-14 (13/17)

· Round 16 Defeated Sharks 14-12 (11/17)

The only blow out loss was the Broncos 6-28 which we more than made up for in round 25 when we beat them 30-14 the week before the finals. We won 7 of these and were not embarrassing in any of the losses. So my question is if the cattle are so bad, how did we win 7 from 10 against teams (4 who played finals and the other 3 wins against teams in contention for finals). No pressure, end of year blah blah.. Bullshit, the opposition had plenty to play for and wouldn't just allow it.

And then this year with 2 thirds of the same squad and player improvements plus a good off season we deliver;

· Round 1 Lost to Parra 2-8

· Round 2 Lost Cowboys 16-24

· Round 3 Lost Manly 6-32

· Round 4 Defeated Dragons 22-2

· Round 5 Lost Roosters 6-42

· Round 6 lost Sharks 18-20

· Round 7 lost Tigers 6-34

We didn't lose last night because Wakeham had a poor game (although he did), and we didn't lose last night because this bloke or that bloke dropped the ball.

We got beat by 7 tries to one, 32 missed tackles, 24 ineffective tackles, poor backing up, 13 errors, blokes missing tackles and then hands on hip instead of chasing after them, getting belted in the forwards, 97 metres for our kick returns compared to their 247 metres, almost half a second slower average play the ball speed, and almost 30% less post contact metres running the ball... Thats why we lost.

The Club/Board/CEO have appeared reluctant to bring any specialized help in to assist Pay other than a little bit of Sherwin etc., why?? I dont care what anyone says, you cannot go out into the market and expect to sign the elite players or best young talent if the coach appears out of his depth.

The team is getting belted and commentators like Ray Hadley are referring to us as "poor old Bulldogs" on the radio in reference to last nights belting...

Poor old Bulldogs? FMD.

As Hadley would say, "That'll do me"..

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes but I don’t get what I’ve ever said for you to make that observation?
Is it because I don’t constantly whinge or create negative new threads every day?
Haha, Nah.. I think it’s because when we all say #PayOut you were more so in his favour, and always disagreed when I or others would have a dig at his coaching.

Kebab74

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I actually know the problem but no one damn listens to me.

team composition.

we have no big bodies in the backline. Just technically correct players.

Too many workers in ten forward pack without punch. The players that do have size aren't that good.

Get the team composition correct and we can get a roll on to score.

the line benders at the front will eat metres and make space off the halves, who in turn will have more options and space for guys like Holland to do their thing. At some point in ten backline we need a big body. Whether that's a David fusitua on the wing or a be leilua in ten centre it doesn't matter really.

name a good team and I'll point out their team composition for you.
How about the mighty Ducks?

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Once again this season we have the worst attack in the comp under Pay. We've scored an abysmal 76 points in 7 games for 10.85 ppg.

Even with the rule changes that have turned the code into touch footy, we've had three games out of the last five where we've scored 6 points.

Two of those games were with our "star" million dollar half Foran. Last season we had the worst attack in the comp and yet again this season...

Cap problems and weak roster aside, having the worst attack in the comp two years running is an indictment on the coach more than anything.
Hi btrainben, let's look on the bright side and take a balanced approach.

Attack is one only aspect of the game, and the other is defence.

Sure we are scoring hardly any points.

However, the positive is that we have no problem racking up big numbers for points conceded.

I had the "pleasure" of attending last night's game against the Tigers in person.

Given the Bulldogs were up by 6 points, sitting there watching the Tigers score 34 unanswered points was completely f*cking sh*thouse and I wished I had stayed at home and watched a movie or done something else interesting

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hi btrainben, let's look on the bright side and take a balanced approach.

Attack is one only aspect of the game, and the other is defence.

Sure we are scoring hardly any points.

However, the positive is that we have no problem racking up big numbers for points conceded.

I had the "pleasure" of attending last night's game against the Tigers in person.

Given the Bulldogs were up by 6 points, sitting there watching the Tigers score 34 unanswered points was completely f*cking sh*thouse and I wished I had stayed at home and watched a movie or done something else interesting
It would have been painful for sure and a frustrating drive home. We've all felt that far too over the years..

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Haha, Nah.. I think it’s because when we all say #PayOut you were more so in his favour, and always disagreed when I or others would have a dig at his coaching.
I guess maybe I’ve seen and comprehended the situation we’ve been left in. I won’t be upset if Dean isn’t re-signed but I do feel sorry for him that he wouldn’t get a chance to prove himself coaching a team with a full salary cap and no players on heavily backended contracts. He took a job that people like Madge McGuire didn’t have the guts to take

Kebab74

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I guess maybe I’ve seen and comprehended the situation we’ve been left in. I won’t be upset if Dean isn’t re-signed but I do feel sorry for him that he wouldn’t get a chance to prove himself coaching a team with a full salary cap and no players on heavily backended contracts. He took a job that people like Madge McGuire didn’t have the guts to take
Would you take the job? It's reasonable to consider what you're working with before accepting role of Head coach