Opinion 7 years of GroundHog Day So Far ..

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good post, we still have a long way to go but we have to keep reminding ourselves we started from an extraordinarily low base, Gus has already done a massive job with our junior pathways but that’s going to take a minute to pay dividends especially after we basically lost nearly two seasons of Qcup SG ball etc . The FG side and cap was a fucking disaster when Gus took over but he’s slowly weeding out the rubbish and while it fucking blows we are still struggling the signs are there that we have turned the corner
Mate you make total sense … it’s a F**** disgrace the low level this club got to, and it’s a disgrace that we’re still sitting in 15th place and talking about this shit ..

I’m a huge fan of Gus’s, I love how he rebuilds a club from the bottom up, I know it’s a slow process, I have no doubt he’s all over making sure we become the development club of superstars we used to be..

I only have one concern, and that’s I’m hoping they don’t try to bend us into replicating the Panthers model, that’s not us and I don’t think it ever will be.

I don’t even particularly want the Dogs of war, I just want us the be the Bulldogs, a powerful pack that out powers, out muscles and out fatigues our opposition and knows how to win big games ..

These ones sprouting fast mobile packs are delusional, they need to go look at the packs we’ve lost to ..

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Some good comments and responses from similar passionate Doggies fans who are also knowledgeable footy minded people.

Why do you ask ?
Hey 1967.

I see you amended your thread title!

It's a good thread and I appreciate the time you put into the original post and your detailed analysis

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey @OldDogFan how’s things mate …

Just a hint, TK is such a better experience when you put those egg heads on ignore, I haven’t read anything from that particular egg for weeks and it’s refreshing to say the least.

I’ve put a few on the ignore list now, as you slowly eliminate them from the threads you eventually just end up with good footy chat.

Try it .. you’ll appreciate it mate …
Thanks for yhe heads up. I normally just glaze over them and not take anything in. The same as the Flanagun stuff I just scroll past it these days. I mainly hang in the Bulldogs Debate Page.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey 1967.

I see you amended your thread title!

It's a good thread and I appreciate the time you put into the original post and your detailed analysis
You got me thinking … no Groundhog Day is not F***** over yet, so I took your advise ..

But damn I wish it was over ..

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
It sux that our outside backs have to work that extra bit harder to make up for the lack of go forward. Otherwise, they'd be picking and choosing when and where to run and as a result, not burn out as quickly.

It wouldn't be so bad if that cat (I hate even saying his name) ran with some balls, Pele was a lot fitter and Kikau wasn't out injured. If these 3 were firing then we could carry plodders like RFM. King and Preston would naturally feed off that.

We need at least another forward with aggression that can make PCM's at will.

Nice post btw.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We’ve all heard this before, forwards win you the game, your backs determine by how much.

They can change rules, they can continue to try and make the game faster, they can do whatever they like with the game, but that old quote still stands true today, and so it will tomorrow.

Rugby League is a very straight forward game, the team that over powers their opponent and eats up the metres, is at the same time fatiguing their opponent, you out muscle & fatigued your opponent, they make mistakes, they get sloppy, they draw penalties, penalties put your opponent on the back foot and you fatigue them even more, obviously, your whole job just continues to get easier.

Who’s the most penalised team in the league right now? … yes you can blame ref’s, you can scream bias ect. but realistically, most of those penalties you can put down to fatigue and stupidity.

I’ve seen fans on TK blaming our losses on Ciraldo, Burton, Flanagan, Mahoney, Perham, I’ve seen comments saying Oloapu doesn’t have what it takes, the poor kids only 18 and played 3 games.

Individually it’s none of those players fault that we lose, these players can’t fully utilise their skills while we’re going backwards, and when they do get their chances they’re generally fatigued ….. we lose because we don’t have a squad that’s capable of over powering most of our opponents, we haven’t since we lost Klemmer James Graham and Co. we don’t over power, we get over powered.

I’m over hearing about the “these days you need more of a mobile pack” that’s not what the Bulldogs are about, it’s not what we’ve ever been about.

Go watch the games again where we lost to the Raiders, Warriors x 2, Sharks, Parra, Rabbits, Manly, we simply struggled to stop them going forward and put them to ground, these teams simply out powered us and in doing so they fatigued us, over power and fatigue your opponent, complete the majority of your sets, and 8 times out of 10 you’ll win the game.

One team in the league suits a mobile pack and that’s the Panthers because they’ve all played together since they were 14, that whole team trusts each other and can all ball play promoting the ball to tire teams out.

If the plan is to develop the “mobile pack” get used to losing, because we’re not good enough for that type of play, and meanwhile our opponents are all focused on building powerful packs.

We are not going to win games or play finals footy until we totally rebuild our engine room, honestly, right now, Max King is the only one I’d keep, some others might make bench or depth.

We do have the makings of a good team and despite what people think, we do have a smart talented coach.

I’m now hoping against odds that we snag Hunt, we need leadership, after 300 first grade games, reps and origin, he’d be very good for us & I think we might be very good for him to finish his career with.

This might be controversial but I feel we need 2 new centres, 2 aggressive powerful centres that can tackle, run, make metres, and break tackles. Personally, I don’t feel either Alamoti or Averillo are powerful enough right now to be modern day centres, (think Ramien - Talakai) whilst Al & Avo hold their own, they get dominated in defence by stronger more powerful body’s and therefore fatigue. Not sure Xerri’s that type of centre either but we’ll find out and hopefully he is ..

We have 2 powerful metre eating outside backs, we have 2 very good wingers, a good 9, we have Burton, Crichtons a ? the squad desperately needs a game managing 7, 3 big aggressive metre eating props, and 2 aggressive defensive tackle busting centres to back them up, we don’t need elite big money players, just aggressive powerful metre eaters that hurt, until we get them nothings changing and not even Cleary would have us winning games ..

The 2 biggest things we’re missing is “power and aggression” get that and we become a fearful pack again, until we get it we’re not going to be winning games and we certainly won’t be playing finals footy.

So continue to individually blame players as much as you like, but power mongrel and aggression is where the real blame lays ..
Stop talking sence mate,
True we don't have the grount up front to compete with most teams, but whats made it worse is the NRL continually introducing rules specificly fatigue players, and they hav succeeded in doing it.
What they don't realise that by fatiguing players it has resulted in score blow outs, which is destroying the game

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No bro, it was a shit post
I cant be any more honest.
He thinks that the key to our success is to get giant forwards bending the line.

This isnt 2010.

Please listen because im sick of repeating myself.

It ignores two waves of important rule chan2 players to 8.

2017- The reduction of interchange from 12 players to 8. This was the first step in ensuring players were fitter and more agile.

2021- The 6 again rule.

This cemented the emergence of small nimble forwards in place of hulky big players. Overnight, stars like Shannon Boyd became obsolete.

Why are we even arguing here? Souths are the berst team in the league by far and have the smalest pack. Penrith werent that big either.

Harami OP is stuck in the 80's. He even says 'the dogs will always be about a big pack' which is him living in the past.
You are clearly fucked in the head… Talented big beats talented little in physical contact all day every day. That doesn’t mean there are not things that talented smaller can do to beat the bigger, for example speed and agility. But, then again maybe you missed Fifitas 95 metre try on the weekend..

All bullshit aside it’s not the backs winning the middle to make the space for the twinkle toes, it’s the pigs so shut the fuck up.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
You got me thinking … no Groundhog Day is not F***** over yet, so I took your advise ..

But damn I wish it was over ..
Yes you, me and every other Dogs fan wishes Groundhog Day was over.

The thing that sh*ts me to death is that we basically have a whole new roster from only about 4 years ago. Yet, even with new players and with new coach, we fall back into the same old patterns of play that do not work get us nowhere and are the reason we haven't played finals for 7 years (and counting).

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you, me and every other Dogs fan wishes Groundhog Day was over.

The thing that sh*ts me to death is that we basically have a whole new roster from only about 4 years ago. Yet, even with new players and with new coach, we fall back into the same old patterns of play that do not work get us nowhere and are the reason we haven't played finals for 7 years (and counting).
All we can hang onto here is those who put most of that roster together are long gone .. I take premise in what Gus said that it takes time to get your cap in order.

Reading between the lines I think he’s saying it takes time to move over paid bad value players on, I know he wasn’t part of the Thompson deal, the Waddell deal, the Flanagan deal, pretty sure he wasn’t part of the TPJ deal … it takes time to move those over paid contracts on, although I’m not sure Waddells on big $$ _ he’s done a pretty good job of moving on those he could ..

It’s a slow process when they have signed contracts, just hope the plan is still to rebuild the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs … not try to make us something we’ll never be ..

PaxMaxi1980

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I knew a few would feel I was a bit harsh on our centres, and I get it, but my comments come from the situation we find ourselves in at the moment more than who they are as players, if we were top 4 and killing the opposition we could bring a non seasoned 19 year old Alamoti into the side and cover for him till he gains the experience and power that’s needed, but we’re not in that situation, we need powerful centres to help us out muscle our opposition right now, because we’re being horribly out powered, and the 2 we have aren’t yet suited to that powerful style of footy yet, and I’m to impatient to wait another 2 or 3 years until they are.
I hear you but my point is that it’s all about the forwards. We don’t even need world beaters. If we had a tough, hard working forward pack who could generate momentum our centres wouldn’t be an issue. Our weak spine wouldn’t even be as big an issue. Our problem is our pop gun middles.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stop talking sence mate,
True we don't have the grount up front to compete with most teams, but whats made it worse is the NRL continually introducing rules specificly fatigue players, and they hav succeeded in doing it.
What they don't realise that by fatiguing players it has resulted in score blow outs, which is destroying the game
It’s a valid point, what weaker teams could do in the past was drag the more powerful clubs down into a dog fight, slow them down, frustrate them and grind out a win against the odds …

The 6 again and micro refereeing of these types of games have ruined any chance of that happening now ..

The white class owners want entertainment, they want the blue class working players playing fast scoring try’s and giving the audience a spectacle that’ll get them the big dollar ratings.

Stupid thing is, the biggest rating game last year was a slower Roosters v Storm game where JWH & NAS brutally went at each other ..

I had to laugh at fans complaining about playing on the last day of magic round because the ground might be chopped up, I’ve watched games where the players were so caked in mud you couldn’t tell who was on whose team …

The money men have lost touch with what it is their audience actually wants to watch from the game … and if you don’t know your audience you’ve already lost …

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sux that our outside backs have to work that extra bit harder to make up for the lack of go forward. Otherwise, they'd be picking and choosing when and where to run and as a result, not burn out as quickly.

It wouldn't be so bad if that cat (I hate even saying his name) ran with some balls, Pele was a lot fitter and Kikau wasn't out injured. If these 3 were firing then we could carry plodders like RFM. King and Preston would naturally feed off that.

We need at least another forward with aggression that can make PCM's at will.

Nice post btw.
Exactly right, and a big reason I don’t like seeing a lot of our players being trashed, a lot of fans only register winning and losing, they don’t see that extra work the spine are constantly putting in to cover for the lack of go forward and defensive work that fatigues them ..

Here’s something I think a lot of footy fans don’t notice about Bellamy coached teams and it’s something I think he learnt from Bennett, the forwards, centres, outside backs all play to a structure to form the hard defensive work, they all know it’s their job to do the hard yards ..

Their spine aside from the 9 have a licence to roam and play eyes up footy and play around that structure as they see fit .. thats why they play random footy and are always so dangerous.

Our spine no matter whether they’re talented or not don’t have that luxury, they’re to busy doing to much hard work ..

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No bro, it was a shit post
I cant be any more honest.
He thinks that the key to our success is to get giant forwards bending the line.

This isnt 2010.

Please listen because im sick of repeating myself.

It ignores two waves of important rule chan2 players to 8.

2017- The reduction of interchange from 12 players to 8. This was the first step in ensuring players were fitter and more agile.

2021- The 6 again rule.

This cemented the emergence of small nimble forwards in place of hulky big players. Overnight, stars like Shannon Boyd became obsolete.

Why are we even arguing here? Souths are the berst team in the league by far and have the smalest pack. Penrith werent that big either.

Harami OP is stuck in the 80's. He even says 'the dogs will always be about a big pack' which is him living in the past.
Read above

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus has the juniors coming through and grades winning, we never got to see our forward pack this year fucking disaster… I’m not sure if Ciraldo try’s to turn us into Penrith but it dosnt seem like it.,He speaks about the club and the area with connections through grand parents. I like CC his style in terms of game, man management seems good. A lot of change still to come next year with Crichton and Xerri added to this squad. Gus knows we need troops a seven and some forwards would be his priority stands out like dogs balls… go the Dogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
View attachment 71772

Has some elements our forward pack is missing. Over to you Gus
Kane Evans is a former Fiji international rugby league footballer who is currently a free agent, having last played as a prop for the Hull FC in the Super League. Evans was released by the club via “mutual consent” due to his poor performances. Wikipedia

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Kane Evans is a former Fiji international rugby league footballer who is currently a free agent, having last played as a prop for the Hull FC in the Super League. Evans was released by the club via “mutual consent” due to his poor performances. Wikipedia
Dirty cheap shot merchant.

Plus how shit are you when even the ESL don't want you...
All our forwards are handbrakeing at the line I just want to see some kent in the team that looks and acts like they want to hurt someone with and without the ball.

Just get him over here so he can oppose TPJ in training and maybe rub a little deep heat under his nut sack

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
All our forwards are handbrakeing at the line I just want to see some kent in the team that looks and acts like they want to hurt someone with and without the ball.

Just get him over here so he can oppose TPJ in training and maybe rub a little deep heat under his nut sack
We need to clone Ogre...