7 weeks till xmas

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
hahahah that's awesome!

Lego's attention to detail is awesome.
Sure is. I always loved it growing up. I wanted to get her something fun that would also get her brain working, not just some toy that doesn't require thinking. I got her the Frozen Ice Castle last year and she loved it. I probably have one more Christmas of getting her Lego before she becomes a little too old for them!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Sure is. I always loved it growing up. I wanted to get her something fun that would also get her brain working, not just some toy that doesn't require thinking. I got her the Frozen Ice Castle last year and she loved it. I probably have one more Christmas of getting her Lego before she becomes a little too old for them!
My old man spoiled me so I had more mechanno sets, still love making things here and there. Glad my boy loves Lego too

Wahesh

Reaction score
My old man spoiled me so I had more mechanno sets, still love making things here and there. Glad my boy loves Lego too
I loved it too. The one things that always annoyed me though was when the ink of the peoples faces would rub off.

ON WHAT PLANET IS THIS ACCEPTABLE???

lego.jpg

Wahesh

Reaction score
One week to go my friends. I'm mainly counting down for having 2 weeks off work more than anything lol.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Here is a good news story re Christmas (onya the people in Bunbury who made this happen):

Signing Santa elicits laughter, tears of joy from hearing impaired children in WA
By Gian De Poloni
Updated yesterday at 4:15pm

There are hopes sign-language fluent Santas will become more commonplace following a successful meet and greet between deaf children and an Auslan-trained Father Christmas in WA's South West.

"Signing Santa" met with families of deaf and hearing impaired children in a quiet room at a Bunbury shopping centre at the weekend, with some making the two-hour trek from Perth for a face-to-face meeting with the big man in the red suit.

Katrina Payze said her daughter Mahalia, 8, had been looking forward to the visit all year.

"It makes her so happy to see Santa signing," she said.

"All year she said, 'Mum, when can we see the signing Santa'?"

WA's Deaf Society employs the Auslan trained Santas, and interpreter Adrian Chia said it was still a somewhat rare and unique service.

"In the past, we've had interpreters dress up as elves and come along to assist Santa, but now we're starting to see a demand for Santa signing directly with the children and that connection it creates with the kids is hard to put into words, it's kind of special," he said.

"The feeling that it gives them and the parents involved — we've seen tears, we've seen laughter."

"It really is a valuable emotional experience for those families."
MAP: WAPHOTO: Mahalia was very keen to see the signing Santa. (ABC News: Gian De Poloni)

Mr Chia said it was only the third time Auslan Santa has held a session in Western Australia, after his debut in Mandurah and Bunbury last year.

"In the past, if you wanted to visit Santa there was no way for your deaf child to communicate directly with him," he said.

"Awareness is starting to pick up in the community and we're seeing Auslan interpreters provided at all sorts of public events."

Mr Chia said communicating through sign language was important to deaf and hard-of-hearing children, because many could not read English.

"A lot of deaf people have trouble with English because it's actually their second language — they actually learn to sign before they learn English," he said.

"It's like someone from another country learning to speak English without ever hearing it."

Bunbury Forum said it hoped to bring back Auslan Santa next year.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Excellent story, really enjoyed the read. Those beautiful children deserve something like this :grinning:

Wahesh

Reaction score
It's pretty green for a dead tree :smirk:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's a fake news site taking the piss out of the adopted pagan tradition lol
I was thinking its not even that complicated - just noting that it is kinds silly to kill a try for the purpose of sticking it in the corner of our lounge room for a couple of weeks.

I remember as a much younger id we had a "real" tree. But I think mum eventually cracked it because of all the leaves etc falling off it, and then the effort of disposing of it afterwards.

From about age 10, i think we went plastic. :grinning:

Wahesh

Reaction score
I was thinking its not even that complicated - just noting that it is kinds silly to kill a try for the purpose of sticking it in the corner of our lounge room for a couple of weeks.

I remember as a much younger id we had a "real" tree. But I think mum eventually cracked it because of all the leaves etc falling off it, and then the effort of disposing of it afterwards.

From about age 10, i think we went plastic. :grinning:
I think we went plastic from when I was about 7. We had a good tree that lasted about 20 years. Now we have a huge 8 footer. Plastic trees are so much more convenient because they're eco-friendly, storage friendly, financially viable, don't have any animals living in them, and don't drop perishable shit like leaves and branches/twigs all over the place. In Australia, we need plastic ones. Leave the real shit for the US and let them clean it up.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I like the plastic ones with the led lights in the tree, makes life easier lol

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I like the plastic ones with the led lights in the tree, makes life easier lol
What about tinsel? This was another thing my mother hated for its tendency to break of everywhere (probably also because she bought the $2 stuff).

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
What about tinsel? This was another thing my mother hated for its tendency to break of everywhere (probably also because she bought the $2 stuff).
The missus uses those little hangy tinsel/streamer things, the long line tinsel is a bitch to clean up when putting them up and taking them down.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
@CroydonDog There's a special place in hell for the person who designed tinsel, right alongside the bastard who designed glitter!

Wahesh

Reaction score
@CroydonDog There's a special place in hell for the person who designed tinsel, right alongside the bastard who designed glitter!
I hate when people sticky tape tinsel to something. It is obviously going to end up messy. They have it all around our office.

Right now I got one of those little USB LED trees plugged into my computer like the one below, and that's as far as I'll go (in the office).