Status
Not open for further replies.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Who has had enough of this rule ? Fair enough for long range kicks but for defused bombs and grubbers it should still be 6 tackles... So annoying seeing teams get field position by default.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Who has had enough of this rule ? Fair enough for long range kicks but for defused bombs and grubbers it should still be 6 tackles... So annoying seeing teams get field position by default.
I've never liked it.

Each team should get 6 tackles regardless of how they ended up with the ball

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
I do feel like it is too much of an advantage.

But on the other side it has made golden point more of a viable spectacle; most teams are more tactical and the failothon of consecutive field goal attempts is not any type of rugby league I have ever played or watched, or want to watch.

Also teams were booting the ball dead from 30-40 metres out to nullify the effects of Slater.
Again, I dont want to watch games where counter attacking can be tacken out of the game by anyone with a boot. Teams should be rewarded when they make smart and accurate kicking decisions.

nikgan123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
U guys not liking it are just too used to it being called against our team. If u can't put in a good kick well then defend like mad because u did it to yourself with ur kicks(u reading mbye and Reynolds)

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Don't forget the quick tap part of it too. Ten metres gained without the defence being able to touch you on the free tackle, then a full set of six

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Never liked it. Understand the principle but the implementation was shit.
You should be exempt from the rule if you've kicked from inside the attacking 20m.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It is a shit rule atm. A player just knocks on grounding the ball and that is a 7 tackle set? Get fucked lol. 20m tap is a big enough advantage really.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Horrible rule, 60-70 meters gained easily from this crap rule

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'd prefer they:
1. Dropped this rule in favour of if it goes dead, you get the first play the ball from where kick was taken (like when kicking out on full). That way their is still a potential risk, but will still stop teams getting tackled on 5th.
2. Lowered a try from a bomb to 2 points (plus a conversion). It'd make more exciting plays than 5th tackling bomb and hope for the best.
3. Penalised players for being in front of the kicker on the 5th.
4. Removed scrums from the game.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't love the rule, but it came in to combat teams intentionally kicking dead to cancel out the great return runners. It's not a great rule overall, but needed to combat good long kickers using a manipulation of the rules to cancel out another players skill.

It was I guess the simplest way to stop coaches who look for these things to manipulate....... from memory, it was a trick the Roosters liked a few years back. I don't think it happens enough to outweigh the benefit of it.

Couldn't put a year on it, but do recall when it was popular for a while to just kick the ball long and dead and take the 20m tap with a set defensive line to control the game against teams that threatened to return the ball long, and it wasn't such a exciting (or really fair) tactic to watch be played out.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I figure if a player wants to run it back quickly to the 20 and take the tap they shouldn't be allowed to have 7 tackles.

7 tackles should be an option to the attacking team, ether start on the 20 with 7 tackles once the defending players are set, or run it back and give up the extra tackle. But then again, coaches will find a way to manipulate that too.

If anything, 7 tackles should be taken out in the last 10mins when teams are trying to gain ground just to attempt a kick-a-thon for a single point rather than playing footy. Goes from NRL to AFL pretty quickly when teams a tied. Soon they'll be rewarded for a miss (behind) like AFL.

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
dumbest rule they've ever brought in tbh
almost as dumb as having 2 refs on the field and they still cant see anything

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If the ball goes dead from a legitimate field goal attempt or the attacking side has put the kick in from the twenty metre zone and it just goes dead I reckon it should be six tackles.

Having the ball roll one metre too far is punished too harshly as it results in a 20-metre penalty ( with a possible quick tap for the defensive side) and one free tackle. The team in possession then almost always have an attacking kick at the end of the following set. It makes a missed field goal attempt a mistake that can cost a game, as the defending team then has the extra tackle to get in position for its own attempt with the benefit of one extra play.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If the ball goes dead from a legitimate field goal attempt or the attacking side has put the kick in from the twenty metre zone and it just goes dead I reckon it should be six tackles.
This. Exactly.

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
Yeah, it was so stupid to put such a general solution on a specific problem. No side was ever dumb enough to kick it over from five out to neutralize the fullback, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.