• Yes

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 64 94.1%

• Total voters

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the 6 again rule. I hate it. If you look at game 3 of the State of Origin the other night. It sapped the energy of the NSW - QLD defence. If your team has to defend on the try line for continuous 6 agains, I really find it hard to believe any team could keep an attacking side from scoring a try. That’s why I think there has been huge blow outs with teams getting belted this year with points against.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm a fan but I think it exposes weak/undisciplined rosters (the previous stop start games was also an issue and this is why we're here now). I think it's sometimes better to give up a try (or field position) than give back to back to back 6 agains away since you're going to be fatigued afterwards (and probably concede anyways). The biggest problem is are both teams getting the 6 agains for the same thing, since it's left up to the interpterion of the referee since it's so impactful (massive counts in one direction) it's deciding games. My biggest problem with the 6 agains is the defence deliberately giving them away when close to the oppositions try line (which is where you want the piggy back penalty, even half way, it should be mainly used in the final 3rd imo). For what I've seen from our team more often than not our 6 agains against us are warranted and I blame the IQ of the players more than anything (maybe looks worse since they're already getting dominated to begin with and they feel like they got no choice).

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The issue is inconsistent interpretation and application... its a rule change that is way too subjective and hence bias slips into the refs observation. It's widened the capability gap between the top 3 or 4 and the rest. And it's all too easy to say "everyone needs to adapt" sure, but it's removed any remote opportunity for close scores, upsets etc.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
not, its a shit rule and i've been saying just that since it was announced. It has sped he game up to ridiculous levels (which leads to more injuries) teams are being done for a barely there infringement that would never have been penalised previously, and there is no accountability or recourse for these decisions either.

The best thing the game could do would be scrap it entirely.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
In your own half, all indiscretions currently given six again should be a penalty. In the opposition half, six again.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
My #1 problem is when I am at the game I have no idea what the set restart was for.

My #2 problem is when I am watching the game on TV they zoom in on the play the ball and you can't tell if the defence is infringing or not.

My #3 problem is when in the opposition 20 the defending team stands metres offside knowing that a set restart is far less of a penalty than the previous free kick, that then got their opposition out of their 20.

My #4 problem is a continuance of #3, in the situation of repeated set restarts it is only in the attacking 20 that players get threatened with the sin bin. At the other end of the field teams get away with multiple set restarts used to pin the opposition down in their 20. Sin binning should be equal no matter where on the field the repeated infringements occur.

My #5 problem, for the same offence, a set restart on the 4/5th tackle is a much greater penalty than a set restart on the 1st or 2nd tackle. Same offence but a different penalty.

Always a Bulldog

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't like it..if you want the games to be more attacking..reduce the interchange..actually scrap it all together and you will see the game open up as the big men tire..plus it rewards players who are fit.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think a solution is 6 agains for the team who are attacking in the opposition half but if you get the penalty in your own half, you should be able to kick for touch.

Our game against Manly we got a couple of set re-starts when we were coming out of trouble on our own line and a kick for touch (plus a rest) would’ve been a better scenario.

Multiple deliberate penalties when you’re defending you’re own line should be 10 in the bin, this is poorly policed atm.