Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think the thing people are getting confused with especially on Twitter is we now have 5 spots in our top 30 to fill with $500k to do so, however, we have 14 players off contract at seasons end. Obviously we won’t be retaining the vast majority. Those 14 include guys in the part time squad etc.

Reactions: CMP

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Isn't it bad if we lose Jmoz, Bmoz and Eastwood yet can't afford to sign anyone new? That's pretty fkn bad to me, it basically means we are worse off next year than this year.
Exactly right. Whoever replaces the Moz’s will not be as good defensively, so we will likely be conceding more points than this year. And if our attack is still abysmal then we won’t really improve on the ladder till 2021

Bigmous

on the loose
Premium Member
Reaction score
We just sign Christian Crichton...Solid move/replacement

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any fringe first graders, just sign them under NSW Cup rather than first grade (i.e outside the cap).

Then as the cap situation starts to resolve, bring them in :grinning:

I am fairly sure it no longer works like that. 30 highest paid players at the club are whats gets included.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To an extent I think that the club may even be exaggerating things a little in order to ensure that our youngsters on the cusp of the NRL don't look at the fact that a few big names have left and think they're going to automatically qualify for jumps onto big money without having worked their asses off to earn it.

As far as I'm concerned it puts us back in a position where we need to shop for players wisely rather than use the roosters philosophy of splashing big dollars at the one season wonders that have made a big splash in their rookie year. It's been far too long since we've recruited talent that was hungry for their debuts and stuck behind established players. RFM is the only player in recent years that I can say fits that category.

Our success over the next few seasons will come down to picking players that deserve promotion but who are behind a long list of established players. Hopefully guys like Cogger will be among the first of a wave of good youngsters we pick up at the right time in their careers. When we signed him he had an uncertain path into the NRL with a group of other halves seemingly ahead of him in the pecking order. It seems like Dean Pay is willing to take chances on young talent as opposed to Hasler who had a habit of recruiting solid players in the middle of uninspired careers because he'd spent big money on guys with big reputations.

I look at some of the recruitment decisions we made while Hasler and Dib were running things and see that some poor and probably lazy decisions were made. I don't hate Hopoate, but I suspect he's on some pretty decent coin for a player that hasn't regularly stood up and shown that he can dominate in a number of years. He's not without talent, but I suspect that many clubs are getting better value for money from players with smaller reputations. We picked up Williams on what at the time was reputedly marquee dollars and he spent a few years here doing no more than being a squad filler type player rather than a marquee player. We came very close to signing Fifita on marquee money until he spilled the beans about only wanting to join a club he disliked because the coin was right. At the same time we've seen a lot of decent young talent move on from the club while we were paying overs for guys like Williams. I'd much rather we kept Finucane over Williams.Williams was a better player on the best days of his career, but once established he lost the hunger and seemingly the monster factor. Finucane has been slighly better than solid his whole career, but wouldn't attract the same price tag and is an honest player that doesn't slack off.

This situation gives the club a really good opportunity to show that they can cut it as squad managers. We faced some years where instead of releasing players when they exceeded their value for money we've retained them at the expense of decent depth. I'd like to see us pick up some high quality 18-19 year olds that we can develop over the next few years. We will lose some of them, but hopefully we can inspire other good youngsters to come to our club by showing that they can better their careers here. Hasler always seemed happier to pick a tested 25 yo than an untested 20 yo that was performing better in the lower grades and in doing so it probably sent a message to other quality youngsters that they can't fast track their careers here even if they're playing well.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Thats worse then animal cruelty
How so? We're giving them a well paid job to do something they love.

$100,000 - they'll be on more than Police Officers - getting paid more and not be loathed or putting their lives on the line for it either.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
How so? We're giving them a well paid job to do something they love.

$100,000 - they'll be on more than Police Officers - getting paid more and not be loathed or putting their lives on the line for it either.
Lol was half joking.

But seriously I don't think finding talent is that easy

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Change this thread to 4 players for $400k now!

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bring back Addison Demetriou, currently playing for Newtown in the ISP and would slip right in to Eastwoods spot.

Last edited:

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Over 500k to spend on 5 players doesn’t include the money we have for no longer paying graham and kasiano does it?
I think you'll find it does. The escalations are crippling. for the next season or so. The club would've worked their cap on not having Morris', Eastwood and dropping off all the extras we were covering this year. The increases to the one's still on contract are biting hard next year. The club isn't looking to buy any name players this year or next.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you'll find it does. The escalations are crippling. for the next season or so. The club would've worked their cap on not having Morris', Eastwood and dropping off all the extras we were covering this year. The increases to the one's still on contract are biting hard next year. The club isn't looking to buy any name players this year or next.
Pretty much if we release an aiden tolman, Woods or Mbye we should hen have over 1mil to cover 5 players? Let’s say woods on 850,000. We pay 600,000 other club pays 250,000

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pretty much if we release an aiden tolman, Woods or Mbye we should hen have over 1mil to cover 5 players? Let’s say woods on 850,000. We pay 600,000 other club pays 250,000
I hope u mean we pay 250k and they pay 600k...

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
In theory that would be right but if you were one of the other 15 clubs looking for say a prop and you knew we were going to offload Woods would you come in with a helping bid or would you hold us to ransom? Don't forget Woods is here for 4 years so we would have to cover the contract for the next 3.5 years. I can't see that being a smart strategy in any way shape or form. Our problem apart from the obvious is that any of our really expensive players are locked in for 2+ years so any fire sale is going to impact for years to come. We will just have to live within our means for the next couple of years and hope a new Cleary or Crichton pops up along the way to take the pressure off.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In theory that would be right but if you were one of the other 15 clubs looking for say a prop and you knew we were going to offload Woods would you come in with a helping bid or would you hold us to ransom? Don't forget Woods is here for 4 years so we would have to cover the contract for the next 3.5 years. I can't see that being a smart strategy in any way shape or form. Our problem apart from the obvious is that any of our really expensive players are locked in for 2+ years so any fire sale is going to impact for years to come. We will just have to live within our means for the next couple of years and hope a new Cleary or Crichton pops up along the way to take the pressure off.
Spoke to Grahame Hughes and he assured that Jackson klemmer woods and Mbye are hands off... few fringe players and I asked about tolman and his response was we’d have to wait and see on what happens with tolman...

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This might be a blessing in disguise because a lot of good young players will know if they sign with us they could get a crack at 1st grade next year. If they stayed at their current club they might be looking at 2-3 years minimum for the chance.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Spoke to Grahame Hughes and he assured that Jackson klemmer woods and Mbye are hands off... few fringe players and I asked about tolman and his response was we’d have to wait and see on what happens with tolman...
Yep Tolman keeps getting mentioned as a possibility but I'm not sure Hughesy is in tight enough to know all the ins and outs. I know he is a cousin so maybe all is forgiven!!

Status
Not open for further replies.