4 point Politis

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Putting our lack of points aside for a minute..

I wonder if Nicholas Politis would be pushing so strongly for points not to count if his Rorter$ had won the first 2 games..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Putting our lack of points aside for a minute..

I wonder if Nicholas Politis would be pushing so strongly for points not to count if his Rorter$ had won the first 2 games..
I think there's zero chance of that. If his chooks were sitting on 4 points and they were going to reset the ladder he'd be screaming the house down.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He is a winner, he will go with any angle if it suits his team. Maybe our board should pick up a trick or two.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Vary the top 8 to a top 10 or 12 system. Lowest ranked two drop out in weeks 1 and 2 until you get to the usual system. 4 points won’t matter then.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He is a winner, he will go with any angle if it suits his team. Maybe our board should pick up a trick or two.
It really wouldn't surprise me if he has a video made up for after he dies, confessing that he's paid his squads half again (minimum) whatever the salary cap is for as long as the cap has been in operation and that the only area comparable to the money spent cheating the cap is the bribes he's paid to the cap auditors. I'll be fucked if I want our club to taint any potentially proud achievement by cheating and scummy acts.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cons8der the circumstances of how the warriors lost their first two games and then ask yourself if points should be reset?? I think they should be. This is an unprecedented period for the game, and any resumption of play will be a different format to the usual competition. So let's just start fresh.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you start a new 15 round comp, you can't keep points from the cancelled 26 round comp is what Nick is saying. If you run the full 26 round comp than the previous earned points can stand.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If you start a new 15 round comp, you can't keep points from the cancelled 26 round comp is what Nick is saying. If you run the full 26 round comp than the previous earned points can stand.
The problem is it's not a new comp. It's the same comp with a reduced schedule.. The first two rounds standing don't affect anything if they re-start a reduced season.

13 more rounds or more is ample time for an 0-2 team to make the finals. Win 3 out of your next 4 and you're 3-3 and likely in the top 8 with 9 rounds to go. There are no excuses for anyone.

Those first two rounds happened. You can't erase them from the record books. Players gave their blood and sweat those first two weeks and some were injured or suspended. That all can't have been for nothing.

If the Roosters were 2-0 Politis and the Roosters fans would be saying the opposite.

Our club is 0-2 and most of our fans agree that the first two rounds should stand.

Anyway, it's a moot point as they will stand despite Politis' selfish request.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is it's not a new comp. It's the same comp with a reduced schedule.. The first two rounds standing don't affect anything if they re-start a reduced season.

13 more rounds or more is ample time for an 0-2 team to make the finals. Win 3 out of your next 4 and you're 3-3 and likely in the top 8 with 9 rounds to go. There are no excuses for anyone.

Those first two rounds happened. You can't erase them from the record books. Players gave their blood and sweat those first two weeks and some were injured or suspended. That all can't have been for nothing.

If the Roosters were 2-0 Politis and the Roosters fans would be saying the opposite.

Our club is 0-2 and most of our fans agree that the first two rounds should stand.

Anyway, it's a moot point as they will stand despite Politis' selfish request.
If you reduce the schedule it's a different comp. It's a selfish look what he's asking for I agree, but he's got a point. The only way to keep the current comp going is to run it over 26 rounds, 4 finals the whole shebang.

If you start a race than 10 mins into the race shorten the finish line, it's a different race.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If you reduce the schedule it's a different comp. It's a selfish look what he's asking for I agree, but he's got a point. The only way to keep the current comp going is to run it over 26 rounds, 4 finals the whole shebang.

If you start a race than 10 mins into the race shorten the finish line, it's a different race.
Let's agree to disagree. In my opinion it's the same comp with a reduced schedule. All 16 teams are playing under the same constraints. 13 more rounds is more than enough time for any team good enough to turn their season around.

At the end of the day, this season will have an asterisk on it one way or another.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

What's the difference? Are you saying the Roosters would have tried harder to win those games if they knew it was a reduced comp? They got beaten by two teams that were better on the day and they should have to live with those losses, regardless of the length of the comp. You know as well as anyone else here that had his team won the first two games, we wouldn't be hearing a word from Politi(c)s about this. This is new territory for league, but look at other sports. They don't go around invalidating earlier results in a cricket tournament because a bunch of matches are cancelled due to poor weather. It's still the same comp and teams have put effort into their victories so far this year (not to mention risking injuries.) Those teams that were good enough to win deserve reward for their efforts. No need to throw the first two games out just because Politi(c)s is a self entitled cry baby.

You're a good lad, but fuck I hate your team with a passion :P

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I honestly get where Uncle Nick is coming from. But it all depends on how the comp proceeds. If we reduce to a 16 round comp (so 14 to go), and play each team once, the points should stand. But if it turns into anything other than that I think the comp should be restarted.

But at the end of the day, I don't really care what happens because we are dogshit and nothing this season will change that.

edit: if we somehow end up with a 26 round then points should also stand but I cannot see that happening.

Last edited:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the difference? Are you saying the Roosters would have tried harder to win those games if they knew it was a reduced comp? They got beaten by two teams that were better on the day and they should have to live with those losses, regardless of the length of the comp. You know as well as anyone else here that had his team won the first two games, we wouldn't be hearing a word from Politi(c)s about this. This is new territory for league, but look at other sports. They don't go around invalidating earlier results in a cricket tournament because a bunch of matches are cancelled due to poor weather. It's still the same comp and teams have put effort into their victories so far this year (not to mention risking injuries.) Those teams that were good enough to win deserve reward for their efforts. No need to throw the first two games out just because Politi(c)s is a self entitled cry baby.

You're a good lad, but fuck I hate your team with a passion :P
I'm not arguing the merits of Nick's request as I've already stated it's self-serving, I'm simply saying it'll be a different comp IF the schedule is changed.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I'm not arguing the merits of Nick's request as I've already stated it's self-serving, I'm simply saying it'll be a different comp IF the schedule is changed.
But is it really? look at a cricket world cup for example..... a few teams are invariably disadvantaged in world cup scenarios because they have games washed out while others get to play a full compliment. At least the Roosters are on a level playing field with other teams and get to play the same number of games. Granted, there are a lot more games being lost in this competition, but a world cup is much shorter in duration and I would argue it is less disadvantageous to lose more rounds if all teams still play an equal number of games. In cricket, you even get instances of games being shortened, rather than just competitions.... which is less than ideal..... but a shortened competition where all teams still play the same amount of games is not too big a deal in the scheme of things. Other teams in other competitions have to persevere with much more significant disadvantages. If things are done Nick's way it actually advantages teams who have lost games by wiping their slates clean, while disadvantaging teams who were good enough to win. I really can't see how that's a fairer scenario.

I'm surprised the Roosters didn't do better in the first two rounds, tbh. They should be used to playing to empty stadiums. I thought that advantage would give them the jump on other teams....lol.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spoken like a Rooster and for that matter Dogs fan.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I understand what he's trying to say. But I also look at it from the perspective that he's got an ulterior motive. It would suit us to have the slate clean given that we are none from two. But it shouldn't be taken into consideration. Every team that has two wins worked hard for them. Those victories shouldn't be taken away because the season was interrupted through no fault of their own.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Clean slate benefits the teams with no wins, but then If we had two wins we wouldn’t want the slate wiped clean. Leave as is, just be good to see our boys play some more footy.!!

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whichever lens one peers back on this season using, it will always be tainted, even if we miraculously manage 26 rounds + full finals.
It was still interrupted, the Warriors still "volunteered" to remain in Australia under duress, the "circuit breaker" still happened.
Although I don't like to admit it, Politis point is completely valid if there is any change to the schedule, there needs to be review of points and consideration of whether previous rounds should count. He mentioned the Duckworth-Lewis algorithm employed for rain-interrupted cricket; this is exactly what needs to be explored and even contribution of for/against.

I'm with @Papa Emeritus, I don't really care the points situation, given our standing and likely performance this year. However, if we were a competitive team pushing for finals, I would back Politis' suggestion.

Malla

Reaction score
I hate the dog but he has a point.

The NRL were using terms like 'restarting the comp' and 'new format' or whatever with the conferences. If that was the case, then would only make sense to start on 0 points as the current standings might benefit one team over the other depending on their situation - for example, one team might have a much easier draw with the new format that is already on 4 points and thats an unfair advantage over another team in a tougher conference.

Either way, Flanagan is getting exposed at the Roosters and they aren't doing shit this year with Keary showing the world that he is nothing but a 2nd option.

Last edited by a moderator: