4 plays that stifled our attack (Round 3)

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Thought I'd review some of our attacking plays from Round 3, after highlighting the errors that lead to tries yesterday.

Flanagan made multiple wrong decisions which stifled our attack when we managed to get inside the opposition 20, there has been alot of criticism of Averillo, however I think he wasn't fed the ball from his 7 at the right times.

1. Averillo makes a good catch and pass to create a 2 on 1, Cotric takes it himself and leaves Meaney wondering why he didn't get a clear run in the corner to score. This one is on Cotric not using his winger.
Screenshot_20210329-203303_NRL.jpg

2. Averillo has space and room to make a draw and pass for a try in the corner, instead Flanagan tries hitting Meaney in the corner but makes a terribly slow floating pass to Meaney, allowing the defence to run over in cover and kill the play.Screenshot_20210329-203604_NRL.jpgScreenshot_20210329-203621_NRL.jpg

3. Flanagan hits Waddell in the chest instead of using his fullback out the back where he would have created a 3 on 2 with his centre and wingScreenshot_20210329-204011_NRL.jpg

4. Flanagan takes a hit up whilst Averillo waits out the back ready for the pass running a line which would have created a 3 on 1 on the left edge for an almost certain tryScreenshot_20210329-204300_NRL.jpg

Attachments

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You're 100% right and it's something I've been concerned with since the trial. All the good ball is going through Flanagan and unfortunately for us he simply isn't up to the role at this stage and it's impacting everyone else's game. His decision making is poor, he doesn't engage the defence, he doesn't seem to be able to bring others into the game, etc. If I have to see him drift across did one more time and aimlessly dump it back to a forward with the defence in his face I'm going to break my TV.

Baz claimed there's nothing wrong with the system, but imo it looks like he's trying to get the team to run before they can walk. This has resulted in us failing to score a single point in back to back games and a side totally devoid of confidence.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
fantastic analysis, surely in review wrong options like this are highlighted by the coach.Yes it's a new combo and their quite inexperienced but it's not unreasonable still to think at least 2 of those should go the right way and we score(all are before the broncs posted a try plus we butchered one when Elliott's pass to Flanno was poor).

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you email the club and apply to be the kennel assistant to baz? In the first half Averillo looked dangerous each time he had the ball. Yet he barely got any quality ball! Flanagan needs to feed him early ball. He needs to back himself and go for it, not just take the easiest option.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Very fair assessment. I guess it’s Flanno who’s the problem. We should of persisted with Cogger. At least Cogger used to take the line on sometimes

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So basically we're going to have to wait until Flanagan improves before we start to see results and if he doesn't we're going through Burton next year and this year is going to be a very long season? Those are all butchered opportunities really.

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amazing analysis! Flanagan never really sold it for me. Very obviously hes inexperienced but we don't have the time to wait for a young half to get good through experience alone, we need some raw talent to work with (like Averillo).

Flanagan for mine has a few more games to show something. Otherwise, see ya fucking later! Cleary when he came through showed something raw at least! Flanagan has nothing interesting about him. He's so fucking vanilla.

korrmatta1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we had a half with half a footy brain we easily score 3-4 try’s!! If not more!!

Reactions: GDR

dogluvver

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Thought I'd review some of our attacking plays from Round 3, after highlighting the errors that lead to tries yesterday.

Flanagan made multiple wrong decisions which stifled our attack when we managed to get inside the opposition 20, there has been alot of criticism of Averillo, however I think he wasn't fed the ball from his 7 at the right times.

1. Averillo makes a good catch and pass to create a 2 on 1, Cotric takes it himself and leaves Meaney wondering why he didn't get a clear run in the corner to score. This one is on Cotric not using his winger.
View attachment 22552

2. Averillo has space and room to make a draw and pass for a try in the corner, instead Flanagan tries hitting Meaney in the corner but makes a terribly slow floating pass to Meaney, allowing the defence to run over in cover and kill the play.View attachment 22553View attachment 22554

3. Flanagan hits Waddell in the chest instead of using his fullback out the back where he would have created a 3 on 2 with his centre and wingView attachment 22556

4. Flanagan takes a hit up whilst Averillo waits out the back ready for the pass running a line which would have created a 3 on 1 on the left edge for an almost certain tryView attachment 22560
Thanks so much Aristidiz. What an awesome analysis. So sad to see all those bombed tries but they are all young players & there is obviously so much potential for improvement. So hoping TBaz points these plays out & they all learn from it.
GO THE DOGGIES!!!

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
That example number 2. I remember seeing that and getting so angry he didn't pass at back to Allan. I even paused it and rewound it and showed to my Mrs and explained how he stuffed up. Mrs just gave me a blank stare and thought I was just being my lunatic self. Glad someone saw it too.

Great analysis mate, this team is still learning, Flanagan, at this early stage isnt the answer to our half problems. But hopefully he grows into it sooner rather than later. Maybe this is why Robinson got rid of him. But we have to give him a chance.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I remember seeing that in real times thinking why didn’t Flanno hit Avo at the back?

If you look at his role with the roosters which was very defined ...and now he’s got free reign...he’s getting too ball hog and clever for his own good

Someone tell him he ain’t N Cleary though doesn’t help when his coach publicly compares him to Cleary

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
ive said it a 1000 times weve had enough ball in good position to score plenty of points and Flanagan is the main culprit of destroying our attacking sets.. yes our forwards haven't been dominant and have been dominated.. but explain to me how the forwards are at fault in those situations ??

Flanagans decision making in the attacking 20 is just horrid and the forwards cant be blamed.. Thanks @Aristidiz for pointing this out..

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Great analysis mate. I'm glad there's someone here that's constructive

Reactions: GDR

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Problem with decision making comes from a lack of experience. I'm sure Benji would've made a difference.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Problem with decision making comes from a lack of experience. I'm sure Benji would've made a difference.
Hindsight is a beautiful thing but what we would give for an experienced half right now FFS

Even a one year deal until Burton arrived