4 Moments That Broke Us

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Aside from inability to mount pressure onto the opposition by dominating the ruck, bending the line with our forwards, and getting our backs onto the ball at pace, these are the 4 moments that broke us in our Round 3 game against the Broncos.

1. Staggered defensive line, Katoa doesn't move up fast enough, Hopoate is likely unaware of Katoa's positioning leaving him in no-man's land. Waddell with some lazy edge defence leaves Issako to blow right by him. This has been a common theme with our edge defence from Round 1-3 if you check where we have leaked tries.Screenshot_20210328-224934_YouTube.jpg

2. Averillo fails to read the decoy run and takes the bait. Cotric panics and rushes up in defence, almost running straight past Issako? Had Cotric sat back it was 2 on 2 and would have allowed other players to get back in defence.Screenshot_20210328-225036_YouTube.jpg

3. Bulldogs attempt short kickoff, (not the worst attempt kick-wise) but all 4 chasers somehow all overrun the play leave Coates to take a clean catch and blow right by Elliot to score. Where was the communication between Meaney, Averillo, Cotric and Allan on this one. Meaney gets to the play first so one of the others should be in cover.Screenshot_20210328-225333_YouTube.jpg

4. Katoa caught in no-mans-land. He rushes up on the wrong player, highlighting Hopoates slowing (every year) lateral movement. If there is better communication here Katoa stays on his man allowing Hopoates to slide in time.Screenshot_20210328-225450_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20210328-225515_YouTube.jpg

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
You also forgot when Kyle Flanagan drop the ball in the clear open
Yes it was forward pass but the ref would of let that one go as the commentators were agreeing
Haha true, this was just a look at how we conceeded our tries, but yeah that was an easy enough take, he did well to be in support there though.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That was Elliott’s fault. It was a shocking pass and was too forward for Flanagan to comfortably catch it.
That symbolises Elliott at the dogs. Physically has what it takes to be a very good back rower but just doesn’t have the polish and never will. He also dropped the ball a few plays after that forward pass which hurt us a lot. I think it gets overlooked just how much being 6 nil up would have dented Bronocos’ confidence and boosted ours.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Aside from inability to mount pressure onto the opposition by dominating the ruck, bending the line with our forwards, and getting our backs onto the ball at pace, these are the 4 moments that broke us in our Round 3 game against the Broncos.

1. Staggered defensive line, Katoa doesn't move up fast enough, Hopoate is likely unaware of Katoa's positioning leaving him in no-man's land. Waddell with some lazy edge defence leaves Issako to blow right by him. This has been a common theme with our edge defence from Round 1-3 if you check where we have leaked tries.View attachment 22530

2. Averillo fails to read the decoy run and takes the bait. Cotric panics and rushes up in defence, almost running straight past Issako? Had Cotric sat back it was 2 on 2 and would have allowed other players to get back in defence.View attachment 22531

3. Bulldogs attempt short kickoff, (not the worst attempt kick-wise) but all 4 chasers somehow all overrun the play leave Coates to take a clean catch and blow right by Elliot to score. Where was the communication between Meaney, Averillo, Cotric and Allan on this one. Meaney gets to the play first so one of the others should be in cover.View attachment 22532

4. Katoa caught in no-mans-land. He rushes up on the wrong player, highlighting Hopoates slowing (every year) lateral movement. If there is better communication here Katoa stays on his man allowing Hopoates to slide in time.View attachment 22533View attachment 22534
Yes katoa was terrible

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nice analysis @Aristidiz. Thanks for going to the trouble of posting it and breaking things down.. Unfortunately you could have chosen from a million other plays that were just as bad.

Hoppa may have been more exposed than he should have been due to bad reads by his inside men but nonetheless, he was burnt so easily every time without coming within 20 metres of Coates. He's a turtle that isn't up the FG anymore.

oldman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I believe that someone recently said the players are not sticking to the plan.......From a defensive perspective examples 1, 2 and 4 clearly identify lapses by certain individuals

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good analysis.

The wider look at all 3 of our games thus far is the rate at which we leak points in the final quarter (someone can fact check) but off the top of my head I’m pretty sure the opposition has scored the majority of their points in that final 20

This points to fatigue/unfit

Which is surprising considering the boys look physically fit and also all that ‘hardest pre season training of my life ‘ bs.

I’m still deflated /disappointed at what I’m seeing

At the point where I’m just hoping we don’t get smashed as opposed to winning

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

1. Staggered defensive line, Katoa doesn't move up fast enough, Hopoate is likely unaware of Katoa's positioning leaving him in no-man's land. Waddell with some lazy edge defence leaves Issako to blow right by him. This has been a common theme with our edge defence from Round 1-3 if you check where we have leaked tries.View attachment 22530

2. Averillo fails to read the decoy run and takes the bait. Cotric panics and rushes up in defence, almost running straight past Issako? Had Cotric sat back it was 2 on 2 and would have allowed other players to get back in defence.View attachment 22531

3. Bulldogs attempt short kickoff, (not the worst attempt kick-wise) but all 4 chasers somehow all overrun the play leave Coates to take a clean catch and blow right by Elliot to score. Where was the communication between Meaney, Averillo, Cotric and Allan on this one. Meaney gets to the play first so one of the others should be in cover.View attachment 22532

4. Katoa caught in no-mans-land. He rushes up on the wrong player, highlighting Hopoates slowing (every year) lateral movement. If there is better communication here Katoa stays on his man allowing Hopoates to slide in time.View attachment 22533View attachment 22534
Great analysis mate. Appreciate it.
So 3 of the 4 tries were conceded/caused by players who shouldn't be in the starting 17 - Avo, Hoppa and Kotoa. This is what people keep banging on about us having a reserve grade squad. Those 3 players wouldn't be playing FG at any other club (maybe Avo after a couple of years in NSW Cup because he's not ready for FG yet). If we get better players then we shouldn't be conceding those sorts of stupid tries week after week. I guess that's the one positive we can take out of all of this

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know at least 2-
1. The moment we signed Des Hasler & gave him a free reign to manage our Salary Cap - This alone has caused us 6 years of Misery & that's the truth.
2. The moment we signed Raelene Castle - A big contributor (or non contributor depending on how you look at it) to point 1.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
You also forgot when Kyle Flanagan drop the ball in the clear open
Yes it was forward pass but the ref would of let that one go as the commentators were agreeing
It wasn't just forward, it was a poor pass. He had to reach out to grab it, and couldn't control it. A proper pass would have seen him score.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It wasn't just forward, it was a poor pass. He had to reach out to grab it, and couldn't control it. A proper pass would have seen him score.
Bunker would have ruled no try even if he had caught that bad pass :(

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
They can't rule on a forward pass.
I thought this year they awarded tries. The kicker prepared shot for goal while the bunker reviewed.

I thought that meant ALL circumstances regarding whether fair try or not.

So they've still got that silly rule of not adjudicating on a forward pass. Dumb.

My apologies. Thanks for clarification :grinning:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought this year they awarded tries. The kicker prepared shot for goal while the bunker reviewed.

I thought that meant ALL circumstances regarding whether fair try or not.

So they've still got that silly rule of not adjudicating on a forward pass. Dumb.

My apologies. Thanks for clarification :grinning:
It's because camera positions tend to distort what is straight, and what is at an angle. They could trial using a computer drawn line to determine if a pass was forward - similar to the way they determine LBW in cricket. I think many fans would support that.