$3 million war chest is a myth

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares how much money we have left to spend its the clubs issue to make sure they have spent it wisely and managed the roster correctly.

They will be judged on what squad they assemble for next season in November.
They need to be buying NOW for next season. From this November they can start negotiations for 2022

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will like this...
Shortly after Fittler's retirement, while playing a game of golf he was questioned by a friend about his early retirement his reply was " why would I want to play if I can get $600k a season for 2 seasons coaching under 16th team how to kick a ball ? " :(
Yep I like. Yes the NRL and others just expect us to believe it's just a coincidence that the richest backed team in the NRL just happen to win the comps years in a row. What is the use of the salary cap when the top team just uses dollars to get around it

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They just signed Cotric last week so they are buying now so I don't see your point.
Because to buy Cotric and anyone else possibly we have to let go of players we should be keeping it seems instead of some of the other overpaid deadwood. Not much use buying Cotric if we're also letting go our best players (Foran and Elliott). The only way we can improve is if we buy good new players plus keep our best players

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Because to buy Cotric and anyone else possibly we have to let go of players we should be keeping it seems instead of some of the other overpaid deadwood. Not much use buying Cotric if we're also letting go our best players (Foran and Elliott). The only way we can improve is if we buy good new players plus keep our best players
You’re worrying about things that haven’t even happened yet. If Elliott and Foran go they will replace them but just because it hasn’t happened instantly isn’t a reason to panic. With all the coaching changes there’s going to be player movement.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I am a simple man with a simple outlook on the issue
Let us assume It was $3 ml
Add $800k for CHN departure for next year :tonguewink:
Less
$600k for Cotric
$300k for CHN & Wakeham topping up
It should leave us with $2.9 ml...Not bad !!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't know why people dedicate so much time to these types of threads. Even if someone posting in here actually had any accuracy in guessing the players salaries and how much remaining cap space we have. It makes very little difference. We aren't going to have much sway on the decisions on who to sign.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
350k for lafai for 9 games.. wtf that cannot be correct
I tend to agree and I am looking at the fact that St George might have paid a few bucks to get him off their books...

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sport Confidential: Bulldogs’ $3 million war chest is a myth
Michael Carayannis and Paul Kent, The Daily Telegraph
July 31, 2020 8:22am
Subscriber only
The Bulldogs’ $3 million war chest is a myth, according to boss Andrew Hill.
The much-hyped figure was a “pre-Christmas” number well before the club signed the likes of Luke Thompson and Nick Cotric. They have also extended Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Will Hopoate, Josh Jackson, Reimis Smith and Brandon Wakeham.
Hill is expected to meet with incoming coach Trent Barrett in the coming days to work out what their next movements are in terms of their roster. They have offers out to Adam Elliott and Kieran Foran about extending their time at the club.
“We will work on that in the next couple of weeks,” Hill said.
Luke Thompson has taken up a fair bit of the Bulldogs war chest.
“Trent’s key focus is at Penrith but in his own time and away from his commitments, myself and (head of football) Steve Price will be talking to him around roster management and staff appointments.
MORE IN SPORT
PERTH, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 15:  Jack Cogger of the Bulldogs is tackled by Teig Wilton and Braydon Trindall of the Sharks during Day 2 of the 2020 NRL Nines at HBF Stadium on February 15, 2020 in Perth, Australia. (Photo by Will Russell/Getty Images)

Late Mail: Who is Cronulla’s debut duo?

Angus Blyth and Reds teammate Lukhan Salakaia-Loto. Picture; QRU

How heart ruled the hip pocket for Aussie rugby starlet

“You’ll never hear us confirm (how much we can spend) but that figure everyone keeps saying is at pre-Christmas levels. It’s come down but we have a good amount to spend on the right talent.
“We are linked with every player that’s either off-contract or looking for another opportunity, we are not having a scatter gun approach. We will target what we think we need. Trent will be part of that and we will work quietly behind the scenes to build our roster.”
Meanwhile, Elliott continues to do good things away from the field. The injured lock is raising money for Autism community network.
Elliott pledged to dye his hair blue once that target reached $1000. The money raised is more than $4000 which will also mean his brother James will dye his hair.

To donate: gofundme.com/f/Adams-going-blue-for-autism
The NRL and the RLPA are about $25 million apart when it comes to cost-cutting measures for the next three years.
Discussions between the two parties are ongoing and includes a potential roster cull.
The salary cap could drop by about five per cent but cost savings are being explored in other areas including injury hardship, marketing and representative payments.
So all the struggle was for fucking nothing, fucking typical, sack the board!!!

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sport Confidential: Bulldogs’ $3 million war chest is a myth
Michael Carayannis and Paul Kent, The Daily Telegraph
July 31, 2020 8:22am
Subscriber only
The Bulldogs’ $3 million war chest is a myth, according to boss Andrew Hill.
The much-hyped figure was a “pre-Christmas” number well before the club signed the likes of Luke Thompson and Nick Cotric. They have also extended Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Will Hopoate, Josh Jackson, Reimis Smith and Brandon Wakeham.
Hill is expected to meet with incoming coach Trent Barrett in the coming days to work out what their next movements are in terms of their roster. They have offers out to Adam Elliott and Kieran Foran about extending their time at the club.
“We will work on that in the next couple of weeks,” Hill said.
“Trent’s key focus is at Penrith but in his own time and away from his commitments, myself and (head of football) Steve Price will be talking to him around roster management and staff appointments.
MORE IN SPORT
PERTH, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 15:  Jack Cogger of the Bulldogs is tackled by Teig Wilton and Braydon Trindall of the Sharks during Day 2 of the 2020 NRL Nines at HBF Stadium on February 15, 2020 in Perth, Australia. (Photo by Will Russell/Getty Images)

Angus Blyth and Reds teammate Lukhan Salakaia-Loto. Picture; QRU

“You’ll never hear us confirm (how much we can spend) but that figure everyone keeps saying is at pre-Christmas levels. It’s come down but we have a good amount to spend on the right talent.
“We are linked with every player that’s either off-contract or looking for another opportunity, we are not having a scatter gun approach. We will target what we think we need. Trent will be part of that and we will work quietly behind the scenes to build our roster.”
Meanwhile, Elliott continues to do good things away from the field. The injured lock is raising money for Autism community network.
Elliott pledged to dye his hair blue once that target reached $1000. The money raised is more than $4000 which will also mean his brother James will dye his hair.

To donate: gofundme.com/f/Adams-going-blue-for-autism
The NRL and the RLPA are about $25 million apart when it comes to cost-cutting measures for the next three years.
Discussions between the two parties are ongoing and includes a potential roster cull.
The salary cap could drop by about five per cent but cost savings are being explored in other areas including injury hardship, marketing and representative payments.
Fuck Tolman (past it) off and Foran (injury prone), say bye bye to Elliot(reserve grader), Reimis Smith(useless) can wave bye bye, get rid of the shit and we'll have plenty for a top quality 9 but knowing the board all the above will be re-signed and we'll be fucked for the next 2 to 3 years.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fuck Tolman (past it) off and Foran (injury prone), say bye bye to Elliot(reserve grader), Reimis Smith(useless) can wave bye bye, get rid of the shit and we'll have plenty for a top quality 9 but knowing the board all the above will be re-signed and we'll be fucked for the next 2 to 3 years.
Elliott's our best forward and one of our two best players this year (Thompson will probably overtake him, but at this stage I can't say he's better). If he's a reserve grade so is all of our roster :tearsofjoy: . Also we can buy a top hooker without moving Elliott and Foran on.

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't know why people dedicate so much time to these types of threads. Even if someone posting in here actually had any accuracy in guessing the players salaries and how much remaining cap space we have. It makes very little difference. We aren't going to have much sway on the decisions on who to sign.
Mate, We are bored and desperate Bulldogs supporters...Can't you tell :grinning:

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm expecting something along these lines.

**The salaries I've given the players is what I believe they're on (not a fact). It's an estimated guess from what I've gathered/think.**

1. Hopoate 500k
2. DWZ 500k
3. Cotric 600k
4. ?
5. Meaney 200k
6. Foran 400k
7. ?
8. Thompson 800k
9. ?
10. Napa 600k
11. Jackson 600k
12. RFM 300k
13. Elliott 500k

14. JMK 200k
15. To'omaga 300k
16. ?
17. C. Smith 200k

5.7m/9.9m

Theoretical signings (and extentions)
+Cotric 600k
+Lafai 300k
Foran 400k
+Burton 300k
+B. Smith 800k
RFM 300k
Elliott 500k
Sue 200k
Wakeham 200k
= 3.6m

Total = 7.3m (7.1m with Jackson's veteran allowance)

18-30
~200k (~215k with Jackson's veteran allowance)

IMO the "3m war chest" wasn't a myth. It does depend on when it was stated tho (I believe we're currently closer to 2m). I'm also being on the safe side, our 18-30 would more than likely be on less than that average.
You got no idea