Opinion 2023 Squad

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now that the coach has been decided the Dogs need to focus on freeing up cap space and top 30 spots by having the tough conversations with current contracted players to do what they can to move them on - unless the new regime can do miracles players like Flanagan, Averillo, Allan, Burns, Schoupp, Waddell, Cook - are not going to take a team to top 4 or top 8.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2023 will be an average year for us as we still have a lot of duds contracted until end of that year. 2024 will be the interesting year as we will have the cap space to bid for some serious talent @ the end of 23. We need a 1 & a 7 bad and some talented juniors...not the shit we have been pumping out for the last decade.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
As fullback? Looks very zippy and willing but also very small no?

Toia is a likely type and might be an option, his ballplaying skills are unknown though.
Looks a bit Meaneyish to me...but maybe with some decent coaching systems in place?

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As fullback? Looks very zippy and willing but also very small no?

Toia is a likely type and might be an option, his ballplaying skills are unknown though.
Toia looks sharp and he can ball play - I’d really like to see him have a run in first grade. I think we would be presently surprised

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I can’t believe we’ve still got another year of Okunbor wasting a spot on the roster.
The mismanagement of our sc has been diabolical and run by the tea lady assisted by the guy who cleans the dressing sheds :grinning:

Every year it's a clean out.

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. ...
2. Jacob Kiraz
3. Paul Alamoti
4. Aaron Schoupp or Jeral Skelton (very hard to choose)
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Matt Burton
7. ...

8. Tevita Pangai Junior
9. Reed Mahoney
10. ...
11. Villiame Kikau
12. ...
13. Raymond Faitala-Mariner

14. ...
15. Max King
16. Ryan Sutton
17. Franklin Pele

Hopefully, we get rid of Kyle Flanagan, Luke Thompson, Jake Averillo, Braidon Burns, Corey Waddell, Ava Seumanufagai, Jayden Okunbor, Chris Patolo, Josh Jackson and Corey Allan, to free up space for the juniors and more signings.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The mismanagement of our sc has been diabolical and run by the tea lady assisted by the guy who cleans the dressing sheds :grinning:

Every year it's a clean out.
Okunbor was re signed when Gus was here

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Last edited:

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the coaches job to help players improve, unlock their potential and use them effectively

I don't think our boys have received much in the way of coaching in recent years so I'm hoping every single player on our roster is improved next year

That doesn't mean Okunbor is suddenly going to be a first grade winger because just doesn't have the necessary agility.

So hopefully the new coach recognises that and gives him one last chance to play in the backrow (again) - at 196cm and 108kg someone should have insisted on this as he is no winger

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
From that Okenbor link above:

"Meanwhile, new general manager Phil Gould has already made an impression on the Queensland-based squad despite being in Sydney.

"We had a little Zoom call with him last night, he just introduced himself. Everyone knows he's one of the smartest people in rugby league, so obviously very excited to have him around," Okunbor said."

I guess that indicates Gus didn't have much to do with Ok's extended contract.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the coaches job to help players improve, unlock their potential and use them effectively

I don't think our boys have received much in the way of coaching in recent years so I'm hoping every single player on our roster is improved next year

That doesn't mean Okunbor is suddenly going to be a first grade winger because just doesn't have the necessary agility.

So hopefully the new coach recognises that and gives him one last chance to play in the backrow (again) - at 196cm and 108kg someone should have insisted on this as he is no winger
Thanks Mate, one of the best posts I've ever seen. Nothing I would disagree with, the few games OK played early in the season he made some good grounds when taking the ball up