2022 The Verdict

Haslerhasworms

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He's the worst starting halfback in the NRL. There are also plenty of back-ups at other clubs that are better than him. He's not even worth a top 30 minimum wage spot and he's a massive reason why we suck.
Spare me mate.
Massive reasons why we suck are also Burton's inconsistency, Foxx with his brainless rush in defence, all of our forwards, our dummy half. Our centres.
Our bench.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Spare me mate.
Massive reasons why we suck are also Burton's inconsistency, Foxx with his brainless rush in defence, all of our forwards, our dummy half. Our centres.
Our bench.
Fox has to rush in because we're always short. Flanagan is by far the biggest problem in the team imo.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Now the season is over, what is TK's verdict on the players performances rating them from 1 to 10, chances for next season and what should be done to improve the roster for next year...

**First 13**
1 Averillo 6, had a reasonable few weeks at fullback, must use his final year to improve his chances.
2 Kiraz 7.5, did very well, with room for improvement.
3 Schoupp 4.5, reasonable defence, struggled in attack, future lock or second-row ?
4 Burns 5, backup at best
5 JAC 8, will be much more effective with a better center inside of him.
6 Burton 8, sky is the limit, will improve with a better hooker & halfback.
7 Flanagan 4, sadly not 1st grade quality, not yet anyway.
8 Thompson 6, ratings based on ability not performance, too expensive.
9 Mahoney 8, based on his current club form, much needed spark at dummy-half.
10 TPJ 6, when Fitter with CC here and new organising hooker and possibly halfback, could only improve.
11 Kikau 9, based on current club form, much needed running game.
12 Jackson 7, experience will keep him in the team.
13 King 8, he showed a promising attitude both in attack and defence.

**Reserves**
1 Toia, has potentials.
2 Allan, make or brake season
3 Skelton, potentially a future star.
4 Alamoti, our future centre.
5 Casey, promising backup in 3 positions
6 Docker-Clay, covers multiple positions.
7 BBO, talented, time is on his side.
8 Edwards, has potential
9 Cook, make or brake year for him.
10 Patolo, young, needs to improve.
11 RFM, improving by the game.
12 Waddell, average at best.
13 Sutton, good backup.
14 Seumanufagai, can be a reliable meter eater
15 Okunbor, too many faults in his game.
16 Topine, still developing.
17 Pele, will he rise to the expectations ?
18 Morrin, young and energetic
Will any of these players make the cut, Tsikrikas, Tanner, Stuckey,
Who can we afford for a much needed halfback, a prop, and if possible a fullback and a centre.
Averillo 6 ? , I guess that's about right, 3 points for 2021 and 3 for 2022.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's very hard to gauge how good our players are given how poorly they have been coached. Even though we started to score more points consistently with Potter, we never really had good attacking shape near our oppositions try-line. Somehow we still managed to average 3-4 tries per game. Most of these were from unstructured ad-lib play, second phase, kicks and intercepts. We rarely score by shifting the ball out the backline and striping our opposition for numbers. For me that will be the biggest indicator of Ciraldo's effectiveness as coach and whether an off-season preparing our spine has been a success. Good teams with quality spines are able to do this especially against weaker opponents. The other areas to address are our goal line defence, our physicality in and around the ruck and fitness.

Flanagans in-ability to create line-breaks/assist is my biggest concern. Can a new coach get that out of him? I don't know but he deserves a chance. Maybe with Mahoney and Burton there is enough to work with and he just needs to steer us around the park and play a link role.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Averillo 6 ? , I guess that's about right, 3 points for 2021 and 3 for 2022.
I am aware that Averillo does have deficiencies in his game like all young players normally do, I also know he is questionable under the high ball, unfortunately for him between Pay and Barrett and their coaching stuff nothing was done to fix his game or play him in the correct position, as a matter of fact Barrett was told many times that he wasn't a halfback.
No one can deny that he posses talent, does he to go to Melbourne to enhance it ?

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I am aware that Averillo does have deficiencies in his game like all young players normally do, I also know he is questionable under the high ball, unfortunately for him between Pay and Barrett and their coaching stuff nothing was done to fix his game or play him in the correct position, as a matter of fact Barrett was told many times that he wasn't a halfback.
No one can deny that he posses talent, does he to go to Melbourne to enhance it ?
Blind Freddy could see he wasn't a halfback, all persisting with him at 7 did was delay his development as fb.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Blind Freddy could see he wasn't a halfback, all persisting with him at 7 did was delay his development as fb.
Now you are talking, sadly he wasn't the only young player to suffer :unamused:

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Reading some comments on the socials after the Broncos loss, most of their fans do not want Haas saying he is average and not worth his current price tag let alone a million.

As a club, we need to be chatting to him but I am sure Gus already has plans in motion.
Haas or any other temperamental individual that wants everything going their way to stay happy is a no go for me,
It remains a mystery if he stays or leave...
What is puzzling is why did Gus meet him not only once but 3 times ?
Are we meant to believe that Gus didn't really know what his price tag was ?
Is there a third party ( TPA ) involved ?
I'll remind the Gronkos fans, while their team was terrible last season he was their only shining armour !!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Haas or any other temperamental individual that wants everything going their way to stay happy is a no go for me,
It remains a mystery if he stays or leave...
What is puzzling is why did Gus meet him not only once but 3 times ?
Are we meant to believe that Gus didn't really know what his price tag was ?
Is there a third party ( TPA ) involved ?
I'll remind the Gronkos fans, while their team was terrible last season he was their only shining armour !!!
Gus is on record saying 1m a year for Haas for 10 years is cheap. He's also basically said the opposite at times too.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gus is on record saying 1m a year for Haas for 10 years is cheap. He's also basically said the opposite at times too.
Paying forwards like Thompson 850k, Kikau 800k, TPJ 750k, Jackson 600k and others on an estimated $2 ml or thereabouts, can we still afford to pay $1 ml or even 800k for Haas ?
We definitely need to do some cap maneuvering for a chance to make it happen.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Paying forwards like Thompson 850k, Kikau 800k, TPJ 750k, Jackson 600k and others on an estimated $2 ml or thereabouts, can we still afford to pay $1 ml or even 800k for Haas ?
We definitely need to do some cap maneuvering for a chance to make it happen.
It would most likely be for 2024 when Thompson and Jackson are off the books. Otherwise we'd have to move on multiple players while still getting a decent % of their salary cap back in our cap (someone like Thompson you'd be lucky to get 50%).

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I still don't get the flanagan hate on here.
Sure, he is not a top tier half but does no one else see his second efforts and defence on bigger opponents?
We all know how the year started for him.
He's put it behind him and in my opinion been one of our more consistent players this season.
500k or whatever he's rumoured to be on is too much, but I'd be happy to keep him for next year with some better players coming in.
Giving him a 4 is rough.
Thinking a 5 is fair
What is a halfback that
1. Can't make the opposition's defence think twice about what is happening next.
2. Can't draw opponents defence then smooth pass to a support player.
3. Can't direct the props into gaps not defenders.
4. And doesn't have a good kicking options specially on the six.
Not denying, he does have a good defence but the priority of the halfback is attack !

Haslerhasworms

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What is a halfback that
1. Can't make the opposition's defence think twice about what is happening next.
2. Can't draw opponents defence then smooth pass to a support player.
3. Can't direct the props into gaps not defenders.
4. And doesn't have a good kicking options specially on the six.
Not denying, he does have a good defence but the priority of the halfback is attack !
I'm not the chairman of his fan club like another kenneler but even Cleary would struggle behind our forward pack.
Your points are valid, but so are mine.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm not the chairman of his fan club like another kenneler but even Cleary would struggle behind our forward pack.
Your points are valid, but so are mine.
Mate, I support players who represent the fans the jersey the club, I don't have agendas against any one player but I also criticizes a player when that player continuously fails,
I agree forwards lead the way but also believe the halfback's job is to direct them into gaps and forever send them into brick walls.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
1. Averillo 5 far too inconsistent
2. Addo Carr 9 Outstanding and inspiring
3. Schoupp 6.5 Doing well considering the team hes had to start his career. Massive potential
4. Skelton Big and strong could be an x factor
5. Kiraz 7.5 clever and full of heart
6. Burton 8 Can’t deny his talent and potential. Needs better coaching.
7. Flanagan 5.5 Has improved and needs a big off season or his career is done. Needs to back himself and fuck every one’s opinion
8. King 7 has been solid and consistent. Not sure if there’s much more potential there maybe an offload
9. Mahoney
10. TPJ 7 Needs to stay healthy and focussed in his training. When he is on we win
11. Kikau 9.5 best backrower in the game. Hoping he stays committed to every play and doesn’t lose his motivation
12. RFM 5.5 Underwhelming year by his standards. Needs to stay healthy and lift or will get dropped
13. Jackson 6.5 Skippers burnt out after carrying the pack for so long.

14. Thompson 4 Needs to stay on the field and run off the back fence
15. Sutton
16. Topine 7 Impressive season and needs more game time. Should be pushing for a starting spot

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
Could of made the top 8 if not for the incompetent refs and players like waddil and flano jmk not showing up every week bunch of losers everywhere i thought we could ot made the 8 but obviously the club was still backwards they could not realize by round 1 averilo was best suited to fullback but anyway at least we didnt get the spoon

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Could of made the top 8 if not for the incompetent refs and players like waddil and flano jmk not showing up every week bunch of losers everywhere i thought we could ot made the 8 but obviously the club was still backwards they could not realize by round 1 averilo was best suited to fullback but anyway at least we didnt get the spoon
Throw in Baz being on a sabotage mission.