2022 retention and recruitment

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
as much as it pains me --> Gus Gould in a consultancy role to work on junior development, recruitment, retention etc.

no salary cap management though

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
$9.5 million – base salary cap for the Top 30 players.
$0.2 millionVeteran and Developed Player Allowance for eligible players who were either developed by the Club prior to becoming NRL players and / or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the Club or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game.
Cap for 2021 & 2022 is $9.02M

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's why its better days ahead for us if DWZ is not contracted next year. More cap space when he goes.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Kid came into grade in 2014. Although he's still young, he's been around far too long now to be making all the dumb plays and errors he makes.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Naden isn't a player we want either... Off field issues and can't defend. Good attacker yes, but someone we can live without
Know what you're saying. But can we be too choosey?

We need someone cheapish, but good. No more plodders who can't create.

We don't know how extensive, or entrenched, the off field problems are, do we :grinning:

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dylan Napa and William Hopoate definitely gone at seasons end

Chasing a couple of forwards, though they are all demanding big bucks

Other than the obvious signings of Burton & JAC, it is looking very bleak for additional signings for 2022
Fuck it's depressing to hear that only 2 players are guaranteed to be gone at the end of the season. Of the 15 off contract I would have thought the number would be at least 10. If we re-sign half these plodders, I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel as we need to get rid of these losers yesterday

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
No that's not what I said. I said ~2.5m and 13 spots to fill. If we fill 11 of those with minimum wage players we have ~1.4m on 2 spots to fill. That's just an e.g. maybe we'll fill 9 or 10 with minimum wage players. This isn't including the 500k we could have saved in our salary cap (spending 95%) this year but you'd also assume a lot of players we're filling these spots with next year will be on slightly more than minimum wage so it'll balance itself out anyways. Does that make sense? Stop reading old mates posts about what I'm saying because he can't comprehend and picks and chooses what he wants.
Do we really only have $2.5m to cover 13 spots? that's fuck all because we need a top quality 9 (most important) and we also need two big mothers in the forward pack.

Issue is I don't think we can recruit ourselves out of the hole we are in anyway. The coaches need to get the players we having playing better, yet every season for the past five seasons we get worse.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sorry about the long post, got a heap to say on this topic. After watching some of these off contract players for a couple of years now, and over the first 3 rounds, personally I’m happy to let most if not all of them go regardless of the money. I understand the question who do we replace the min wage or lower paid players with? We might replace a plodder with a plodder etc, and I get that, but for me a change of scenery for everyone might be the best solution. We know what we have with these players/plodders, I say let them go and maybe we can find a diamond in the rough plying QLD cup, in PNG or Fiji somewhere. Search NZ rugby for an undervalued beast. Make up those numbers with some untested rookies who offer something, size, speed, leaping ability etc. Guys like Sivo or Semi didn’t know football, they had athletic abilities and were taught a basic set of league rules, plays etc. We don’t always need to grab the footballer. You can always teach an athlete to play football (in certain positions anyway), but it’s harder to teach a footballer to be an athlete! We should also Look to grab a Vet who is being moved on but still offers value for 1yr with club option for 2nd. I just think worst case scenario we sign a bunch of duds, well we have that already and know it. I’d like to see us maybe retain for the right price Meaney and Okunbor for cover FB/Outside backs and maybe JMK pending if we secure a quality hooker and also how Deitz plays. Maybe Atoni and Ogden if they can perform in the next couple of months. Recruits who we should target who might be at the higher price bracket are the same as everyone else has mentioned Hooker: BSmith/Clarke, Forwards Rudolf, Talaki, Su’a and outside backs Staggs, Coates. Value buys might include Bunty, Lui up front and Jackson Ferris is a young centre from Cronulla who looked good in the few times I’ve seen him play. Sam McIntyre formerly Tigers now GC looked good last yr at Tigers, haven’t seen him play this yr though, wouldn’t cost a lot. Billy Smith Roosters, outside back, he has had a few injuries but wouldn’t cost a lot and highly rated at the Roosters, they might be willing to let him leave given his injury history, he Could be worth a gamble. Rumour has it Matt Prior might be looking to come back to Aus from the ESL. He might have a good year or two left in him at a decent price. Bunnies have the young hooker Joshua Cook behind the beach sprinter.. I admit I haven’t seen him play but I’ve read about him a few times and is another highly rated rookie. I hope we are at least looking these options and more, not all these would work but again there are some targets available if we look hard enough and recruit smart. Surely these options gotta be better than what we have in the squad right now.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don't want to spend too much money on players then screw us in the long run. My thoughts buy a good hooker if not buy James Roby and scout for an upcommer. Buy Tapau and a good centre. The rest we need to invest on the juniors and scout upcoming players.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don't want to spend too much money on players then screw us in the long run. My thoughts buy a good hooker if not buy James Roby and scout for an upcommer. Buy Tapau and a good centre. The rest we need to invest on the juniors and scout upcoming players.
Dont get the love for Taupau, looks awful now with the new style.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont get the love for Taupau, looks awful now with the new style.
To be honest haven't watched much him lately judging from from previous seasons he was going good.. We do need a quality forward.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To be honest haven't watched much him lately judging from from previous seasons he was going good.. We do need a quality forward.
You don’t rate the forwards we have now? :p they are making 70m per game each. And that’s including our 650k ex origin rep :p

Our squad is abysmal. You almost don’t keep anyone. People blaming Barrett and the board.... apart from cotric which other player would be wanted by another club?

Out of our squad how many top 50 players do we have? On talent probably none. But on income probably half a dozen. And there is the issue with us. Big money on under performing players.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sorry about the long post, got a heap to say on this topic. After watching some of these off contract players for a couple of years now, and over the first 3 rounds, personally I’m happy to let most if not all of them go regardless of the money. I understand the question who do we replace the min wage or lower paid players with? We might replace a plodder with a plodder etc, and I get that, but for me a change of scenery for everyone might be the best solution. We know what we have with these players/plodders, I say let them go and maybe we can find a diamond in the rough plying QLD cup, in PNG or Fiji somewhere. Search NZ rugby for an undervalued beast. Make up those numbers with some untested rookies who offer something, size, speed, leaping ability etc. Guys like Sivo or Semi didn’t know football, they had athletic abilities and were taught a basic set of league rules, plays etc. We don’t always need to grab the footballer. You can always teach an athlete to play football (in certain positions anyway), but it’s harder to teach a footballer to be an athlete! We should also Look to grab a Vet who is being moved on but still offers value for 1yr with club option for 2nd. I just think worst case scenario we sign a bunch of duds, well we have that already and know it. I’d like to see us maybe retain for the right price Meaney and Okunbor for cover FB/Outside backs and maybe JMK pending if we secure a quality hooker and also how Deitz plays. Maybe Atoni and Ogden if they can perform in the next couple of months. Recruits who we should target who might be at the higher price bracket are the same as everyone else has mentioned Hooker: BSmith/Clarke, Forwards Rudolf, Talaki, Su’a and outside backs Staggs, Coates. Value buys might include Bunty, Lui up front and Jackson Ferris is a young centre from Cronulla who looked good in the few times I’ve seen him play. Sam McIntyre formerly Tigers now GC looked good last yr at Tigers, haven’t seen him play this yr though, wouldn’t cost a lot. Billy Smith Roosters, outside back, he has had a few injuries but wouldn’t cost a lot and highly rated at the Roosters, they might be willing to let him leave given his injury history, he Could be worth a gamble. Rumour has it Matt Prior might be looking to come back to Aus from the ESL. He might have a good year or two left in him at a decent price. Bunnies have the young hooker Joshua Cook behind the beach sprinter.. I admit I haven’t seen him play but I’ve read about him a few times and is another highly rated rookie. I hope we are at least looking these options and more, not all these would work but again there are some targets available if we look hard enough and recruit smart. Surely these options gotta be better than what we have in the squad right now.
There are so many good young players that are no where near All Blacks radar that would be good league players

Plenty of Sualii types , dime a dozen

Get Aza to holler at me and we can get some talent identification agreement going

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tex Hoy, Scott Drinkwater, Matt Dufty, Nicho Hynes, Dale Finucane, John Asiata, Jayden Sua, Xavier Coates, Dane Gagai, Daniel Tupou are some of the players off contract for next season. Fair enough no super stars there, but if you can nab them for a decent contract then it is an improvement on some of the players at the club at the moment.

Maybe give a call to Mitch Kennys manager, not too sure on his contract situation at the moment but if he is stuck behind Korisau Penrith might release him if a first grade spot is available :joycat::joycat::joycat:

Or Blake Taaffe. We honestly need to start looking everywhere and if we cant find NRL ready talent then we need to start rolling the dice on untested kids with big potential (which i think we have been trying to do with the likes of Staines, leniu, Pikachu etc).

Last edited:

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don’t rate the forwards we have now? :p they are making 70m per game each. And that’s including our 650k ex origin rep :p

Our squad is abysmal. You almost don’t keep anyone. People blaming Barrett and the board.... apart from cotric which other player would be wanted by another club?

Out of our squad how many top 50 players do we have? On talent probably none. But on income probably half a dozen. And there is the issue with us. Big money on under performing players.
Hahaha I wish we can wipe the whole list and start from scratch lol so embarrassing. I probably would keep Thompson as well not sure about his price yet to prove his worth. And maybe Elliot as 19th man got give him some credit but you're right cotric I would keep.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tex Hoy, Scott Drinkwater, Matt Dufty, Nicho Hynes, Dale Finucane, John Asiata, Jayden Sua, Xavier Coates, Dane Gagai, Daniel Tupou are some of the players off contract for next season. Fair enough no super stars there, but if you can nab them for a decent contract then it is an improvement on some of the players at the club at the moment.

Maybe give a call to Mitch Kennys manager, not too sure on his contract situation at the moment but if he is stuck behind Korisau Penrith might release him if a first grade spot is available :joycat::joycat::joycat:

Or Blake Taaffe. We honestly need to start looking everywhere and if we cant find NRL ready talent then we need to start rolling the dice on untested kids with big potential (which i think we have been trying to do with the likes of Staines, leniu, Pikachu etc).
Good suggestion on Taafe whether we sign an established hooker or not. He's stuck behind Cook for years, would be cheap and is an exciting prospect.

Bulldogsforlife23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Imagine this backline 1 -jake averillo or Corey Allan 2 Blake Ferguson 3 kotoni staggs 4 nick cotric 5 addo cart 6 Matt burton 7 Kyle Flanagan now that’s a hectic backline

Reactions: ATT

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Glad you imagined it. Wish it was some form of reality. Isnt