Opinion 2022 Could Surprise us all. A case of déjà Vu

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If 2008 and 2011 fucckked and had a baby and then 2009 and 2012 met and had a baby and by some miracle those two babies met and fuckkkked then 2022 would be the shit they birthed..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I get what you say, but I notice that when a side is playing confidently, they keep errors and transgressions to a minimum. Struggling sides make silly errors, and do stupid things in defence.
There is a spiralling effect from penalties (inc set restarts) especially early in a game and even the teams with a number of talented players can get trapped in that spiral. The teams with their strike players can get off the slippery slope with one stroke of genius. Strike players can turn games around in one play and we haven't had anyone close to that for 5 years at least.

According to the stats we made less errors per game than any other team and no team completed sets any better than we did. Yes, I know when and where the errors are made is a factor, but still. There are number of other stats where we are competitive, such as our kick metres per game which ranked 3rd. The obvious issues were penalties conceded = worst, and penalties awarded = least. We can argue what percentage of that is due to the refs preconceived bias (eg; they are coming last, so they obviously have to commit illegal plays to try and stay in the game) and what is related to fatigue due to the previous factor. After those 2 factors what is left is our own self inflicted poor discipline, which is not anywhere near as bad as would first appear.

Then comes the killer stats, those based on attack, which is what truly shows up our lack of strike players. Next year we have added a number of players, such as JAC, Burton, Dufty, TPJ, that add substantially to our strike power. Is it enough, only time will tell.

Always a Bulldog

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If 2008 and 2011 fucckked and had a baby and then 2009 and 2012 met and had a baby and by some miracle those two babies met and fuckkkked then 2022 would be the shit they birthed..
Big night mate?!? :tearsofjoy:

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think the talent from then till now has increased 10 fold. There are teams at the moment in the top 6 that would flog some of the grand final teams of the early 2000s (except Dogs 04).

Jokes aside, these teams have such good management that I can't see many of the top 6 at the moment deteriorating so our chances of making the 8 are restricted. I think we can challenge but a lot of teams outside the 8 will improve next year (Broncs, Sharks, Warriors).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That’s right. The club has been very vocal to the NRL to have it removed
Thankfully Politis has been very outspoken in the media about how much he hates it and we all know how much influence he has with the NRL.

Hopefully his pull is used for the greater good of the sport this time.. Because these rule changes have killed the sport for die-hard fans like myself and many others who have stopped watching.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the talent from then till now has increased 10 fold. There are teams at the moment in the top 6 that would flog some of the grand final teams of the early 2000s (except Dogs 04).

Jokes aside, these teams have such good management that I can't see many of the top 6 at the moment deteriorating so our chances of making the 8 are restricted. I think we can challenge but a lot of teams outside the 8 will improve next year (Broncs, Sharks, Warriors).
The Chooks have 11 spots of their 30 for 2022 unfilled as at now, the only new player they have signed is Connor Watson. How they fill the vacancies will determine their position next year.

I think it will be difficult for the Eels, Knoghts and to a lesser extent the Titans to make the finals next year. The Donkeys, might improve but with Walters as coach who knows. Plus they have 9 empty spots for next year and are about to get a lot of competition for players from the new SE Qld team (my tip = Redcliffe Dolphins). Cronulla have another new coach and 10 vacant spots for next year, lots of unknowns there. The Warriors are, well, the Warriors and the ultimate in rocks (mostly) and diamonds (occasionally) you never know what you will get from them.

Always a Bulldog

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we could surprise a few teams on our day but consistency will be our problem especially if we do not sign an experienced half, and Josh Cook is not head and shoulders above JMK.

Similar to the last part of this year where we challenge the top teams but seem to not get up for the teams in the bottom 8. But maybe those close losses will become wins. I think we will win more than we lose, but for us to have a 2009 or 2012 type reversal someone needs to stand-up in those spine positiions (HB & HK).

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Through the later Hasler and “pay days” I’ve always been optimistic, going into every new season. And 22 will be no different .. except the excitement level and unknown, especially with the speed factor signings, I believe we will kill it, or at least do A LOT better..

so YES - surprise factor 110%% !!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Asiata isn't going to have a big role. He also isn't a signing you should rate so highly before seeing something from him next year.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No expectations from me in 22, I'll just see what happens. I feel for it again this year, got all hyped us, saw some good stuff in the first 20 minutes of round 1 then it was all down hill. I'll always support the team no matter what but there's been expectations at different points and we've delivered nothing so far.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its possible but not probable with questions on the spine and coaching staff.

Having a high amount of roster turnover doesn't necessary equate to success and what has happened in 2009 or 2012 really means nothing in terms of what will happen in 2022.
Probably depends on how much Gould gets involved with coaching staff and even the actual coaching ?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Probably depends on how much Gould gets involved with coaching staff and even the actual coaching ?
Gus can only do so much and he has a good footy brain but he’s not really there for coaching. He hasn’t coached a NRL game in years and it’s the management side where he is up to speed these days. If we are relying on him having a big say in game plans and structures we are in trouble. I’m sure he can provide good advice for the coaches but you don’t want him doing the majority of it.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gus can only do so much and he has a good footy brain but he’s not really there for coaching. He hasn’t coached a NRL game in years and it’s the management side where he is up to speed these days. If we are relying on him having a big say in game plans and structures we are in trouble. I’m sure he can provide good advice for the coaches but you don’t want him doing the majority of it.
Yeah I know Spoony, I am just actually trying to be partially optimistic as you know my thoughts on our coach.. I still think Gus would slip right back into whistle mode if he wanted to, and be successful.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know Spoony, I am just actually trying to be partially optimistic as you know my thoughts on our coach.. I still think Gus would slip right back into whistle mode if he wanted to, and be successful.
Maybe I’m just influenced by Gould’s commentary sometimes because a lot of his comments make him sound like a dinosaur when it comes to modern day footy.

The thing with Barrett is how much support does this guy need? I get that we want to give him the best chance of being successful but there comes a point where he has to stand on his own two feet and show he’s a NRL coach.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe I’m just influenced by Gould’s commentary sometimes because a lot of his comments make him sound like a dinosaur when it comes to modern day footy.

The thing with Barrett is how much support does this guy need? I get that we want to give him the best chance of being successful but there comes a point where he has to stand on his own two feet and show he’s a NRL coach.
That's my problem, I don't think anything will help Barret become the coach many want him to. Not all great players make good coaches, maybe his ceiling is assistant coach specializing in offence etc. or maybe he is good at spotting talent and should be in recruitment.

I know I have banged on about Bennett but my worse case scenario is all the new players arriving lift us to just outside the 8 or even fringe 8 which gives fuel to keeping him longer. I just cant see us ever winning a comp with him and there are so few absolute gun coaches around.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Certainly hope we're at the beginning of an exciting time for the team. And as much as I hate being negative, the referees can be the real fly in the ointment with this shithouse 6 again rule giving them virtually unchecked potential to kill our momentum or give momentum to our opponents. Hopefully with Gould's sway in the media he can at least get us on a level playing field with refs. Because this year regardless of our discipline we were the most heavily penalized team every week on average.
Spot on Alan.
Shithouse rule and refs are unchecked.
The game is in bad shape.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Im looking at our new recruits and 2022 from a diff angle and that's personality and change of culture

We have been shit, losers, underachievers, you name it we have stuffed it...

But...

Ado carr brings with him premierships, a winning culture, cockiness, the kind of bloke that livens the place up and is a freak of a player
Add Burton who is a future star, Naden a good yoing centre and both coming through Panthers ranks and a culture of winning
Vaughan is an old head who has played for Nsw Australia etc etc
Tpj is a young monster who doesn't give a fuck type enforcer who will thrive with our delirous fans.
Asiata im sure was part of the squad that won 2015 premiership with Cowboys
Dufty is quick as fuck and has a lot to prove.

Point is add these players who have achieved a lot and still in their prime to the current sqaud and you will see guys like Schoup Topine Patolo Dooley Averillo etc reach new levels and learn how to win, how to take that next step. Something they havnt had before.

Getting rid of perennial loser deadwoods like Elliot Lewis etc etc also helps getting rid of that losing culture.

We should make semjs next year at least but I can see the culture Finally changing next year in a major positive way.