Opinion 2022 Could Surprise us all. A case of déjà Vu

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
It hadn't really struck me till now...till the signing of John Asiata....but we just might outperform even the most optimistic Bulldogs supporters expectations for 2022.... based on recent history.

I compare how we went into 2012 to how we are lining up for 2022.
In 2011, we had Barba who had been tried as a half...then new coach Des fresh off a premiership win in 2011 threw the dice and unlocked his potential as a FB. However, most pundits didn't give the Dogs much hope of success going into 2012 because we didn't have a settled halves pairing.
Again, Des didn't despair, instead he rewrote the script on forward play, and we overcame a lack of an established top draw half by utilising the skill of our forwards creating a new dynamic of skilful rampaging forwards going to the line together and passing. Kasiano, Pritchard, Graham and Eastwood all had ball playing skills. Des overcame our deficiency in the halves....Chris Keating and Josh Reynolds this way and we had a magnificent year doing everything but win the GF.
We had 12 players from 2011 leave us at the end of 2011 much the same as this year, and the club promoted many from within as well as securing Graham before going on a buying spree to get some established backs in Perrett and Inu during 2012 when it became obvious we were building something special.
With due respect to our roster the last couple of years, no coach could've made us competitive. But the new additions of the good calibre of established players for 2022 represents the biggest roster overhaul of any team for over 10 years. So it's a reset effectively for Barrett. Realistically, Barrett's time starts now. The addition to our roster of Asiata gives us the ball playing skills we needed if he can reproduce some of his best football and this move to secure him is a throwback to 2012..... with Burton and Averillo being running halves, Asiata and the forwards running together and creating space for our halves and Dufty and Ado Carr and Cotric as dynamic finishers...the Dogs could just of assembled a roster capable of anything in 2022.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It hadn't really struck me till now...till the signing of John Asiata....but we just might outperform even the most optimistic Bulldogs supporters expectations for 2022.... based on recent history.

I compare how we went into 2012 to how we are lining up for 2022.
In 2011, we had Barba who had been tried as a half...then new coach Des fresh off a premiership win in 2011 threw the dice and unlocked his potential as a FB. However, most pundits didn't give the Dogs much hope of success going into 2012 because we didn't have a settled halves pairing.
Again, Des didn't despair, instead he rewrote the script on forward play, and we overcame a lack of an established top draw half by utilising the skill of our forwards creating a new dynamic of skilful rampaging forwards going to the line together and passing. Kasiano, Pritchard, Graham and Eastwood all had ball playing skills. Des overcame our deficiency in the halves....Chris Keating and Josh Reynolds this way and we had a magnificent year doing everything but win the GF.
We had 12 players from 2011 leave us at the end of 2011 much the same as this year, and the club promoted many from within as well as securing Graham before going on a buying spree to get some established backs in Perrett and Inu during 2012 when it became obvious we were building something special.
With due respect to our roster the last couple of years, no coach could've made us competitive. But the new additions of the good calibre of established players for 2022 represents the biggest roster overhaul of any team for over 10 years. So it's a reset effectively for Barrett. Realistically, Barrett's time starts now. The addition to our roster of Asiata gives us the ball playing skills we needed if he can reproduce some of his best football and this move to secure him is a throwback to 2012..... with Burton and Averillo being running halves, Asiata and the forwards running together and creating space for our halves and Dufty and Ado Carr and Cotric as dynamic finishers...the Dogs could just of assembled a roster capable of anything in 2022.
Certainly hope we're at the beginning of an exciting time for the team. And as much as I hate being negative, the referees can be the real fly in the ointment with this shithouse 6 again rule giving them virtually unchecked potential to kill our momentum or give momentum to our opponents. Hopefully with Gould's sway in the media he can at least get us on a level playing field with refs. Because this year regardless of our discipline we were the most heavily penalized team every week on average.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
I think we will have some spectacular wins but also quite a few miserable losses. We will definitely be much better than this year (surely) with a lot of promise going forward.

With Des, even though he's a nutjob, he is a seasonal coach, whereas Trent is still an unknown. He doesn't instill me with much confidence but we'll see.
I think it'll be a case of the team saving the coach, instead of the other way around.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
#Alan79 have you noticed how the refs have been relatively subdued with the 6 agains in the semis and how much better and competetive the games have been. Then again it has been a better calibre of teams playing.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I like the analysis and comparison of roster to 2011 and 2012. It certainly gives some hope to fans reading that. But the one key difference is that as much as some kennelers hate Des fact is he was a premiership winning coach with lots of coaching experience. Baz is yet to prove his mettle.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
#Alan79 have you noticed how the refs have been relatively subdued with the 6 agains in the semis and how much better and competetive the games have been. Then again it has been a better calibre of teams playing.
I haven't watched a single finals match. I've read about a few of the controversial decisions. But the 6 again rule killed my interest in the game by the halfway point of the season. All up I've watched about 12 full games this year and only 1 didn't feature the Bulldogs. I did watch a few 10-15 minute patches of other games long enough to see that refs can apply fatigue very quickly with the new rules and it just turned me off the sport. Even if I have no skin in the game, I don't enjoy seeing a team reffed out of the game and cheated of the chance to win.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hope, not expectation.

Although we should certainly see a different level of play in 2022, a major thing we will lack is combinations. Four of our key new arrivals in 2012 had been playing next to each other for at least 3 seasons at the Bonkos.

This time there are 2 players coming from Penriff, 2 from merge, but not a lot in terms of established combos.

Last edited:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Certainly hope we're at the beginning of an exciting time for the team. And as much as I hate being negative, the referees can be the real fly in the ointment with this shithouse 6 again rule giving them virtually unchecked potential to kill our momentum or give momentum to our opponents. Hopefully with Gould's sway in the media he can at least get us on a level playing field with refs. Because this year regardless of our discipline we were the most heavily penalized team every week on average.
One board member told me just how much he hates the 6 again rule, if some how enough people get behind a push to get rid of it, who knows it just might happen.
If it was to happen then I think we will go a long way if not then we are in the hands of the referees, a senario which dosen't fill me with much confidence.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The game has turned to shit with the 6 agains and head highs.
Head highs meaning a little tap on the forehead as he's falling to the ground.
The refs can manipulate a game way too easy it needs to change next year otherwise they will lose a lot of fans.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
One board member told me just how much he hates the 6 again rule, if some how enough people get behind a push to get rid of it, who knows it just might happen.
If it was to happen then I think we will go a long way if not then we are in the hands of the referees, a senario which dosen't fill me with much confidence.
That’s right. The club has been very vocal to the NRL to have it removed

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of that was down to desperation in defence, and fatigue from lack of possession. With a more competitive side, we should be able to overcome both issues, and be rewarded by the refs.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The NRL don't listen to the fans. So it'd have to be powerbrokers from the clubs that headed the push. Would also help if broadcasters got on board and said they're not willing to pay as much for the rights if the NRL admin keep marginalising fans with rules they hate and reducing the number of supporters watching games.

I'm pretty sure that based on the supposed poll results saying that 65% of fans think the rules are fine that the NRL has no intention of changing them. However polls can be rigged, results can be skewed naturally by the fact that people who've become pissed off and no longer follow the game under the new rules wouldn't likely have seen the poll anyway.

As it is I'm among those who adhere to the idea that the rules have been changed to support the gambling partner in rorting the results for maximising their profit. Plenty of people will tell you that Vlandys was parachuted into both racing and the NRL as a puppet for gambling sponsors.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
They'll replace repeat sets with penalties, giving the attacking side a bigger advantage - that's what the repeat set rule was supposed to eliminate.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think a lot of that was down to desperation in defence, and fatigue from lack of possession. With a more competitive side, we should be able to overcome both issues, and be rewarded by the refs.
I live in hope. But these rules are all too easy to manipulate. I have discussed my conspiracy theory. Some might think I'm nuts, but I am yet to be convinced otherwise that any of the rule changes since we allowed a gambling company to get involved have actually clarified rules. They've all pretty much introduced grey areas where referees have discretion rather than a clear guideline. A Shephard run is no longer a clear thing, it's up to refs to decide if defenders were impeded. Sometimes players are allowed to step off the mark, other times it's penalized. Plenty of calls come down to how refs choose to interpret things now leading me to the conclusion that games are never going to get called down the middle.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Optimism is free, i'm hopeful we could rise up to the finals but not really expecting same.

All entitled to an opinion Alan but i find that theory 99.99% impossible to believe much like ghosts ufo's and the lord jesus christ(their all BS).
Such things would involve massive payoffs to certain parties no? happy to eat humble pie when evidence of same is produced and or the conspirators fess up to this "manipulation":grinning:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I live in hope. But these rules are all too easy to manipulate. I have discussed my conspiracy theory. Some might think I'm nuts, but I am yet to be convinced otherwise that any of the rule changes since we allowed a gambling company to get involved have actually clarified rules. They've all pretty much introduced grey areas where referees have discretion rather than a clear guideline. A Shephard run is no longer a clear thing, it's up to refs to decide if defenders were impeded. Sometimes players are allowed to step off the mark, other times it's penalized. Plenty of calls come down to how refs choose to interpret things now leading me to the conclusion that games are never going to get called down the middle.
I get what you say, but I notice that when a side is playing confidently, they keep errors and transgressions to a minimum. Struggling sides make silly errors, and do stupid things in defence.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I want to see next year are tries from teamwork not relying on the individual brilliance of one or two players.
Baba won us games with his own talent but when he was effectively shut down such as in the GF against Melborn the teams shortcomings were exposed.
On paper, I think it should be a top 8 year and if the squad gels well together and we can keep injuries and suspensions to a minimum, then and a top 4 spot is not out of the question.
Hears hoping. :yum:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Optimism is free, i'm hopeful we could rise up to the finals but not really expecting same.

All entitled to an opinion Alan but i find that theory 99.99% impossible to believe much like ghosts ufo's and the lord jesus christ(their all BS).
Such things would involve massive payoffs to certain parties no? happy to eat humble pie when evidence of same is produced and or the conspirators fess up to this "manipulation":grinning:
I get what you say, but I notice that when a side is playing confidently, they keep errors and transgressions to a minimum. Struggling sides make silly errors, and do stupid things in defence.

I won't push anyone towards my opinion. I'm happy to talk about it without needing the validation of anyone else believing it. There are those that agree with the idea that there is corruption on this large scale, others that don't.

I really hope that with a voice in the media we actually get a fair go from refs really. But it still annoys me to no end when I see refs constantly favour a side. The few games I've seen with unbiased eyes in recent years tells me that often the desperation and errors follow on from the refs caning one team over the other.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its possible but not probable with questions on the spine and coaching staff.

Having a high amount of roster turnover doesn't necessary equate to success and what has happened in 2009 or 2012 really means nothing in terms of what will happen in 2022.