2022 awards

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This topic's probably been brought up a million times so my bad if I'm covering old ground here but I'm bored. Curious to get the kennel's opinion/prediction on 2022 based on the below categories. Will be interesting to circle back and see who was closest. I'll kick it off (explanation needed for each one as well) -

Best player: Paul Vaughan. Unconventional choice here but I've always rated him and I reckon he's going to have a tonne to prove in 22, especially with only a 1 year deal on the table.
Most Improved: Bailey Biondi Odo. I reckon he turns into a dynamic impact player off the bench for us throughout the season and maybe even forces himself into the 7 eventually.
Biggest disappointment: Tevita Pangai Junior. I'm not making this pick because I necessarily think his form will stink. I just think what we saw with Thompson and Hetherington might also be the case here. That is, a player that sails pretty close to the wind on tackling/aggression gets targeted by refs and spends more time suspended than on the field. Hope I'm wrong.
Final ladder standing & does Barrett survive the year? Reckon we just miss out on finals football and finish 9th. Barrett survives but barely.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Best player: Matt Burton
Most improved: Jake Averillo
Biggest disappointment: Matt Dufty
Final ladder standing and does Barrett survive the year?: 12th, yes.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Best player: Averillo
Most improved: Averillo
Biggest disappointment: not Averillo
Final ladder standing and does Barrett survive the year? 7th (Jake's number also). Baz gets sacked and Averillo takes over as player-coach.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Best player: Thompson- i think he will go to another level this year with the added forwards. He can play his natural game and not be used as a battering ram. Closely followed by Burton
Most improved: Jake Averillo- He will flourish this year, with more go forward i think he can be electric this year. He wont have the pressure of running the team himself and the perceived left edge dominance will take the focus of the right edge where he will dominate.
Biggest disappointment: Cant really find one, but JMK- the one missing link in the spine.
Final ladder standing and does Barrett survive the year?: 6th or 7th, YES

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Best player: Matt Burton.
Most improved: Aaron Schoupp.
Biggest disappointment: Matt Burton (He isn’t the next Immortal and won’t carry the team like the kennel expects)
Final ladder standing: 10th-14th
Does Barrett survive the year?: Yes

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Best player: Burton
Most improved: Thommo
Biggest disappointment: JMK
Final ladder standing: 9th
Barrett survive the year?: Unfortunately yes

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best player: Averillo
Most improved: Averillo
Biggest disappointment: not Averillo
Final ladder standing and does Barrett survive the year? 7th (Jake's number also). Baz gets sacked and Averillo takes over as player-coach.
And here's me thinking that your vote would go to Matt Dufty for all awards except for biggest diasapointment...........

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best player - Luke Thompson, he's our forward leader, 150+ metres per game, this year he'll prove his worth and show why he's a rep player.

Most improved - Bailey Biondi-Odo, by mid year he'll be our starting 7 and light it up next to Burton.

Biggest disappointment - sorry to say it people but I think Josh Jackson will offer nothing but a tackling machine, yes it's good having someone clean up the middle but I think by the end of the year people will be saying he's our weakest link in the forwards.

Emerging player - Paul Alamoti, will cement a First grade spot by the end of the year and people will be raving about him.

Final ladder standing - 6-7th

Barrett to survive the year - YES!

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
My most improved based on his career so far will be Brent Naden

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Most improved: Schoup
Biggest disappointment: JMK
Final ladder standing: 8
Barrett survive the year?: For me if he makes the 8 he has to stay. However even though our line up was poor last year he did appear to have a few favourites (Katoa, wadell) which we’re poor decisions. If he judges players of there performances and there isn’t favouritism then for me he should stay but anything other then top 8 and we should get a top quality coach

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My predictions

Best Players : Matt Burton and Tevita Pangai Junior and Josh Addo-Carr they will be a 3 way tie for clubs best players for season 2022 Paul Vaughan just missing out

Most Improved: Brent Naden comes out and kills it and shows Panthers have let go of a gooden as bulldogs reap the rewards

Biggest Disappointment: Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs end up not finding another club to take Kyle Flanagan for season 2022 and ends up playing for Mounties rather then Canterbury nsw cup side as the feud continues between the club and the Flanagan’s

Rookie player to emerge: Paul Alamoti is a weapon in waiting

Ladder Pridiction: 8th (hopefully higher)

Headline of the year : Burton steals Dally M Medal off ex Panthers teammate Nathan Cleary by 1 vote as this is the 3rd year in a row Cleary has come up short on claiming the major award

Will Barrett survive the year : yes

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Most improved: Thompson
Biggest disappointment: TPJ
Final ladder standing and does Barrett survive the year?: 7th, yes.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best Player : Burton

Most Improved: Aaron Schoupp to have a break out year playing outside and inside much better team mates in 2022

Biggest Disappointment: Thompson and Hetherington spend a combined 13 weeks on the sidelines suspended

Rookie player to emerge: Josh Cook at hooker after JMK flops in the opening few rounds

Ladder Prediction: 8th (between 7th and 10th)

Headline of the year: Latrell Mitchell signs with Canterbury from 2023 after an early release due to a fall out with Demetriou

Will Barrett survive the year: Yes

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Best player: JAC
Most improved: TPJ
Biggest disappointment: Dummy half
Final ladder standing and does Barrett survive: 9-11th and only if we genuinely look like a team coming together for 23 with the impending arrival of Kik and Reed.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most improved: BBO
Biggest disappointment: Braiden Burns
Final ladder standing and does Barrett survive the year?: 7th, yes.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Best player: Matt Dufty.
Most Improved: Brandon Wakeham.
Biggest disappointment: Brent Naden.
Final ladder standing & does Barrett survive the year? 10th & Yes.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Got the feeling Naden will have a break out year

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Best player-TPJ
Most improved-Okunbor
Biggest disappointment-Averillo
Dogs finish 5th, Barrett to extend his tenure with the club