2022-2023 Bulldogs Pre Season Thread

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
H

Let me know if these work. If not @belmore_utd i will try this grindr option you speak of. Do you use it? Is it any good?
Hells bells grindr What tha farrk?
He certainly does use it but not for footy stuff lolol

Hey Russ thanks heaps for your contributions and effort, its appreciated by all man.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Must be my turn to update this thread. Got out there this morning for the 3 hour field session. Good to see a fair number of people out there watching too. There was probably around 60+ people, half of them kids waiting patiently for autographs, a school holiday group/class included. Gus was there only briefly at the start of the session, deep in chat with Ciraldo, then disappeared for birthday cake i believe.

As KiwiDog7 mentioned, there is a TV put out there. Topine came out with it at the start and set it up on a seat next to the sideline (should see it in my photos coming soon), It would have to be 30-40 years old :grinning:

Start with some quick bullet points for people to over-analyse:-
- My eyesight is either shot or i didn't sight Franklin Pele there today
- TPJ in injured/light training group, did very little with the team. Floated around a fair bit too, compared to the other guys on the injured list. Was a little worrying but could be reading too much / bit of confirmation bias towards him at play. I am hoping he has a good year for us.
- Jackson Topine and Kikau in that injured / light load group. Did maybe 60% of the drills with the team but at a slower pace, then worked separately together whilst the team were doing ball work etc. Waddell & Casey also did some team drills but also limited to what they could do.
- Jacob Preston filling in for Kikau the whole time on the left

- The 13 is settled upon, based on what other people have seen, as it all matched again today. Backline guys didn't alternate positions. Adding in the guys expected to slot in that were not actively involved (Kikau & TPJ)
1. Perham
2. JAC
3. Alamoti
4. Averillo
5. Kiraz
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. TPJ
11. Kikau
12. RFM
13. Thompson

Maybe some jostling for bench but definitely think Preston will get one.

In the opposed ball work sessions, they started with 3 rotating teams of 9 and focused on attacking structures across 2/3 of the field, sweeping plays etc.
The expected line up (Left hand side) were all together for that one, then the right side in the second team and the NSW cup guys in the third. It was a bit rough for the most part of that session, lots of dropped ball. The started this after about an hour or so of fitness / tackling work so were no doubt feeling the heat.

It then got broken into two teams. The two teams lined up as expected barring the missing guys. Rajab FB, Skelton LC, Casey RC.
This went a fair bit better and there was some solid moves. Right side of Averillo and Kiraz did quite well in attack. Kiraz a notable standout in both the teams of 9 then this session. Couple of intercepts, solid reads in defence and a bust as well on the right putting averillo in. He looked really strong today.
Flanagan also scored a try down the short side attacking near the line :grinning: Flanno definitely showing he is up for it at least fitness wise. Pushing to be up the front in all the fitness stuff. Skills wise - we will all get to see come kick off.
* Edit - Burton and Thommo got a break during the main ball session. Josh Reynolds had a fair stint with the first team at 5/8. I think he will be around for the season in some capacity.

Hard to be confident regarding captain but i though RFM was pulling the guys together for the group huddles and leading them from what i could tell. I would also add that Mahoney looks very fit, after the opposed sessions they were flogged with some more alternating sprints/running and he was pushing hard. A lead by example type if he gets the nod.

I will try adding some photos / videos shortly.
Thanks for the updates.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I watched training the Friday they were in camp, tpj, topine, kikau, Casey, Hughes, waddell were all injured/ light duties back then.
Few injuries just from training??..i recall Declan had a shoulder op but the rest?

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must be my turn to update this thread. Got out there this morning for the 3 hour field session. Good to see a fair number of people out there watching too. There was probably around 60+ people, half of them kids waiting patiently for autographs, a school holiday group/class included. Gus was there only briefly at the start of the session, deep in chat with Ciraldo, then disappeared for birthday cake i believe.

As KiwiDog7 mentioned, there is a TV put out there. Topine came out with it at the start and set it up on a seat next to the sideline (should see it in my photos coming soon), It would have to be 30-40 years old :grinning:

Start with some quick bullet points for people to over-analyse:-
- My eyesight is either shot or i didn't sight Franklin Pele there today
- TPJ in injured/light training group, did very little with the team. Floated around a fair bit too, compared to the other guys on the injured list. Was a little worrying but could be reading too much / bit of confirmation bias towards him at play. I am hoping he has a good year for us.
- Jackson Topine and Kikau in that injured / light load group. Did maybe 60% of the drills with the team but at a slower pace, then worked separately together whilst the team were doing ball work etc. Waddell & Casey also did some team drills but also limited to what they could do.
- Jacob Preston filling in for Kikau the whole time on the left

- The 13 is settled upon, based on what other people have seen, as it all matched again today. Backline guys didn't alternate positions. Adding in the guys expected to slot in that were not actively involved (Kikau & TPJ)
1. Perham
2. JAC
3. Alamoti
4. Averillo
5. Kiraz
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. TPJ
11. Kikau
12. RFM
13. Thompson

Maybe some jostling for bench but definitely think Preston will get one.

In the opposed ball work sessions, they started with 3 rotating teams of 9 and focused on attacking structures across 2/3 of the field, sweeping plays etc.
The expected line up (Left hand side) were all together for that one, then the right side in the second team and the NSW cup guys in the third. It was a bit rough for the most part of that session, lots of dropped ball. The started this after about an hour or so of fitness / tackling work so were no doubt feeling the heat.

It then got broken into two teams. The two teams lined up as expected barring the missing guys. Rajab FB, Skelton LC, Casey RC.
This went a fair bit better and there was some solid moves. Right side of Averillo and Kiraz did quite well in attack. Kiraz a notable standout in both the teams of 9 then this session. Couple of intercepts, solid reads in defence and a bust as well on the right putting averillo in. He looked really strong today.
Flanagan also scored a try down the short side attacking near the line :grinning: Flanno definitely showing he is up for it at least fitness wise. Pushing to be up the front in all the fitness stuff. Skills wise - we will all get to see come kick off.
* Edit - Burton and Thommo got a break during the main ball session. Josh Reynolds had a fair stint with the first team at 5/8. I think he will be around for the season in some capacity.

Hard to be confident regarding captain but i though RFM was pulling the guys together for the group huddles and leading them from what i could tell. I would also add that Mahoney looks very fit, after the opposed sessions they were flogged with some more alternating sprints/running and he was pushing hard. A lead by example type if he gets the nod.

I will try adding some photos / videos shortly.
Good read, thank you ..

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So these All Stars selections will see Averillo fullback & Oky on the wing for first trial v Canberra.
Hmmm we also will not have Kiks playing at least in the first trial. So Left side and right side edges will be different. On the left Alamoti will be between Okunbor and Preston what could go wrong? Maybe Burns will come in for JAC. Alamoti will need some experience on at least one side.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The Bulldogs news has dried up... :sweat:

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Averillo has to stay at centre if he is going to be there come the start of the season. Rajab to FB. Anyone but not Oky to wing.
agree with avo at centre, if that is where CC is going to play him then he should remain there for the trial

mez

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
it is if he is saying alomoti and kiraz are going, fuk me anyone with half a brain would no that. Mason has come out and said how well alomoti is going and he is in the inter sancum
My theory is Kiwi might have heard an offer with potentially those guys as part of the offer. As we all know, we will probably politely decline

ASR010

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Got the following info passed on to me today from a reliable source..

- Kikau was offered captaincy but declined, it will now be given to Reed Mahoney and Burton will be VC.
- We are signing Spencer
- Tyrone May IS a thing, he was at dogs training earlier in the week and is viewed to have high utility value.
- Hayze is a shoe-in for starting FB, with Alamoti and Averillo starting centers.

Make of it what you will.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

- Kikau was offered captaincy but declined, it will now be given to Reed Mahoney and Burton will be VC.
- We are signing Spencer
- Tyrone May IS a thing, he was at dogs training earlier in the week and is viewed to have high utility value.
- Hayze is a shoe-in for starting FB, with Alamoti and Averillo starting centers.

I always had Mahoney penciled in as captain long-term but I'm not really sure how I feel about him walking into the role day one. Not really a fan of Burton getting it either, would much rather King or JAC because of their standing within the group and the fact that they could both talk the ref to death lol. May...fuck no, huge mistake by Gus.

Dingobat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

- We are signing Spencer

No news on Moses?