2022-2023 Bulldogs Pre Season Thread

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Man, some people getting worked up

Scuba Steve chill bro I didn’t say those youngsters are definitely leaving?

Passing on info not making shit up

Since you know so much about what is been spoken about please enlighten the rest of us and I’ll just pass on details to individuals via DM

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Since you know so much about what is been spoken about please enlighten the rest of us and I’ll just pass on details to individuals via DM
We also need to be kinder to everyone guys. We don't want everything behind closed doors
Get along ya fuckin cats

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Keep the mail coming bro. Either they believe it or they don’t that’s their problem.
I enjoy knowing what’s happening

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

It's the kennel mate. Everyone freaks out over nothing and wants players and coaches sacked. The instance shit goes wrong.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm,

This is from the DT

BULLDOGS
Who is the captain of the Kennel?

The shock retirement of club captain and forward pack mainstay Josh Jackson has left a leadership void at the Dogs. Jackson may have been tapering in his influence with the ball, but he was immense inside the dressing room as a voice of reason, experience and respect.

Who steps up in his absence, will be critical. Without a senior figure and obvious replacement as captain, a leadership team of Luke Thompson, Josh Addo-Carr, Matt Burton and Reed Mahoney must emerge as the figureheads that others follow.

Spinal tap
The 1, 6, 7 and 9. The Dogs will boast their best spine in several seasons with the arrival of Reed Mahoney from Parramatta.

That class could prove crucial in servicing Kyle Flanagan. Flanagan has impressed the Dogs coaching staff with his focus, fitness levels and desire so far this pre-season. Unlike this time last year, it seems Flanagan is being backed to wear the No.7 in round one.

Similarly, Jake Averillo has spent the entire pre-season at fullback, and not at centre or in the halves.

Key will be Matt Burton, who despite his obvious talent, won’t have much time to form combinations following his recovery from a World Cup lay-off.

The man under pressure
The best of Tevita Pangai Jr could prove season-defining for Canterbury. The power forward has talked up a big game in wanting to show his best for the club in 2023. He has vowed to be in the best shape of his career.

If Pangai Jr can be the devastating forward he wants to be, it could be enough to drive the Dogs to the finals.

___

All other reports suggest that Averillo has spent the bulk of the preseason at centre. looks like whoever is reporting things at DT don't have a clue...surprise surprise.

NRL 2023: Every club’s burning issues to be addressed in the new season | Daily Telegraph

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Long and short is we are throwing the kitchen sink at Moses and perhaps also another depth player in the halves

Bad news is that we may lose one of our promising youngsters …Kiraz

More to follow
Tyrone May must be the depth player for the halves. @Bulldogsteve in shambles

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m surprised about Kiraz too but that’s what he said…he also said possibly alamoti

Remember this was in reference to getting Moses so if that deal falls through then maybe doesn’t happen

Skelton apparently is right in the thinking right centre

Perham lock at 1. “I feel sorry for Averilo but Perham chat is far better”

Jake right centre (another that could be allowed to go)

An old TV set sits on a chair every single session

“Do you want to play finals or watch on TV again”

I’ll be back tomorrow
I thought i seen Okunbor carrying an old tv in TK Premier video. I just assumed he bought it off Lewis in the car park to help a brother out.

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
Must be my turn to update this thread. Got out there this morning for the 3 hour field session. Good to see a fair number of people out there watching too. There was probably around 60+ people, half of them kids waiting patiently for autographs, a school holiday group/class included. Gus was there only briefly at the start of the session, deep in chat with Ciraldo, then disappeared for birthday cake i believe.

As KiwiDog7 mentioned, there is a TV put out there. Topine came out with it at the start and set it up on a seat next to the sideline (should see it in my photos coming soon), It would have to be 30-40 years old :grinning:

Start with some quick bullet points for people to over-analyse:-
- My eyesight is either shot or i didn't sight Franklin Pele there today
- TPJ in injured/light training group, did very little with the team. Floated around a fair bit too, compared to the other guys on the injured list. Was a little worrying but could be reading too much / bit of confirmation bias towards him at play. I am hoping he has a good year for us.
- Jackson Topine and Kikau in that injured / light load group. Did maybe 60% of the drills with the team but at a slower pace, then worked separately together whilst the team were doing ball work etc. Waddell & Casey also did some team drills but also limited to what they could do.
- Jacob Preston filling in for Kikau the whole time on the left

- The 13 is settled upon, based on what other people have seen, as it all matched again today. Backline guys didn't alternate positions. Adding in the guys expected to slot in that were not actively involved (Kikau & TPJ)
1. Perham
2. JAC
3. Alamoti
4. Averillo
5. Kiraz
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. TPJ
11. Kikau
12. RFM
13. Thompson

Maybe some jostling for bench but definitely think Preston will get one.

In the opposed ball work sessions, they started with 3 rotating teams of 9 and focused on attacking structures across 2/3 of the field, sweeping plays etc.
The expected line up (Left hand side) were all together for that one, then the right side in the second team and the NSW cup guys in the third. It was a bit rough for the most part of that session, lots of dropped ball. The started this after about an hour or so of fitness / tackling work so were no doubt feeling the heat.

It then got broken into two teams. The two teams lined up as expected barring the missing guys. Rajab FB, Skelton LC, Casey RC.
This went a fair bit better and there was some solid moves. Right side of Averillo and Kiraz did quite well in attack. Kiraz a notable standout in both the teams of 9 then this session. Couple of intercepts, solid reads in defence and a bust as well on the right putting averillo in. He looked really strong today.
Flanagan also scored a try down the short side attacking near the line :grinning: Flanno definitely showing he is up for it at least fitness wise. Pushing to be up the front in all the fitness stuff. Skills wise - we will all get to see come kick off.
* Edit - Burton and Thommo got a break during the main ball session. Josh Reynolds had a fair stint with the first team at 5/8. I think he will be around for the season in some capacity.

Hard to be confident regarding captain but i though RFM was pulling the guys together for the group huddles and leading them from what i could tell. I would also add that Mahoney looks very fit, after the opposed sessions they were flogged with some more alternating sprints/running and he was pushing hard. A lead by example type if he gets the nod.

I will try adding some photos / videos shortly.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Must be my turn to update this thread. Got out there this morning for the 3 hour field session. Good to see a fair number of people out there watching too. There was probably around 60+ people, half of them kids waiting patiently for autographs, a school holiday group/class included. Gus was there only briefly at the start of the session, deep in chat with Ciraldo, then disappeared for birthday cake i believe.

As KiwiDog7 mentioned, there is a TV put out there. Topine came out with it at the start and set it up on a seat next to the sideline (should see it in my photos coming soon), It would have to be 30-40 years old :grinning:

- TPJ in injured/light training group, did very little with the team. Floated around a fair bit too, compared to the other guys on the injured list. Was a little worrying but could be reading too much / bit of confirmation bias towards him at play. I am hoping he has a good year for us.
- Jackson Topine and Kikau in that injured / light load group. Did maybe 60% of the drills with the team but at a slower pace, then worked separately together whilst the team were doing ball work etc. Waddell & Casey also did some team drills but also limited to what they could do.

- The 13 is settled upon, based on what other people have seen, as it all matched again today. Backline guys didn't alternate positions. Adding in the guys expected to slot in that were not actively involved (Kikau & TPJ)
1. Perham
2. JAC
3. Alamoti
4. Averillo
5. Kiraz
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. TPJ
11. Kikau
12. RFM
13. Thompson

In the opposed ball work sessions, they started with 3 rotating teams of 9 and focused on attacking structures across 2/3 of the field, sweeping plays etc.
The expected line up (Left hand side) were all together for that one, then the right side in the second team and the NSW cup guys in the third. It was a bit rough for the most part of that session, lots of dropped ball. The started this after about an hour or so of fitness / tackling work so were no doubt feeling the heat.

It then got broken into two teams. The two teams lined up as expected barring the missing guys. Rajab FB, Skelton LC, Casey RC.
This went a fair bit better and there was some solid moves. Right side of Averillo and Kiraz did quite well in attack. Kiraz a notable standout in both the teams of 9 then this session. Couple of intercepts, solid reads in defence and a bust as well on the right putting averillo in. He looked really strong today.
Flanagan also scored a try down the short side attacking near the line :grinning: Flanno definitely showing he is up for it at least fitness wise. Pushing to be up the front in all the fitness stuff. Skills wise - we will all get to see come kick off.

Hard to be confident regarding captain but i though RFM was pulling the guys together for the group huddles and leading them from what i could tell. I would also add that Mahoney looks very fit, after the opposed sessions they were flogged with some more alternating sprints/running and he was pushing hard. A lead by example type if he gets the nod.

LETS GO LOCAL JUNIOR EDGE COMBO OF AVERILLO AND KIRAZ :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes:

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
Videos won't work, the site won't take the file sizes even the smallest at 3.5MB converted to MP4. Any experts out there let me know what to do, and i will give it a try later

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Sounds like Kiraz has been having the best pre season out of anyone in terms of skill and drills. Mahoney behind as a close second. Cheers for anyone’s info on at training, its greatly appreciated

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Videos won't work, the site won't take the file sizes even the smallest at 3.5MB converted to MP4. Any experts out there let me know what to do, and i will give it a try later
Thanks for the colonoscopy (up date) buddy I would try uploading the videos to youtube, Dropbox, grindr etc. Then post the link

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

1. Perham
2. JAC
3. Alamoti
4. Averillo
5. Kiraz
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. TPJ
11. Kikau
12. RFM
13. Thompson

* Edit - Burton and Thommo got a break during the main ball session. Josh Reynolds had a fair stint with the first team at 5/8. I think he will be around for the season in some capacity.

I watched training the Friday they were in camp, tpj, topine, kikau, Casey, Hughes, waddell were all injured/ light duties back then.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score

Let me know if these work. If not @belmore_utd i will try this grindr option you speak of. Do you use it? Is it any good?
I believe @Flanagun is the resident kennel expert on all things grindr :tearsofjoy:

They all worked perfectly btw. Thanks

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
I watched training the Friday they were in camp, tpj, topine, kikau, Casey, Hughes, waddell were all injured/ light duties back then.
Still a while away, and they’ll no doubt ease them through trials or leave them out, if they aren’t quite right.