News 2021 was the year the Dogs were meant to show bite.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
2021 was the year the Dogs were meant to show bite. Instead they are ‘back to square one’

Josh Jackson attempts to rally the troops after conceding a try
Josh Jackson attempts to rally the troops after conceding a try

March 30, 2021 8:15pm
FOX SPORTS

Canterbury have endured a difficult start to 2021 and life under new coach Trent Barrett.

They were blown off the park by Newcastle in Round 1, and since then have failed to score a point in back-to-back games after losses to Penrith and Brisbane.

Barrett has rung the changes ahead of Friday’s clash with Souths, which sees them come up against a man they nearly signed, Benji Marshall.

Marshall's value as a utility has been hailed as one of the smartest pieces of business after Souths’ bright start to 2021.

This year was the season that the Dogs were supposed to be free of salary cap constraints after the club was crippled by back-ended deals.

But their headline-grabbing signings have been unable to lift them out of the race to the bottom.

The Daily Telegraph’s Paul Kent warned the Bulldogs on NRL360 on Fox League that making rash decisions on the run would only hurt the club for longer.

“They had some salary cap issues that they’ve finally got through. I feel sorry for Canterbury because they’ve had to go back to square one,” he said.

“I think the way the cap works these days, the fact we have no sort of draft in place, there’s a false market in the cap in that if I’m worth $500,000, Canterbury have to offer me $550,000 to get there. The Roosters or Storm only offer me $450,000.”

Kent’s Telegraph colleague, Paul Crawley argued that the Bulldogs missed a trick by not taking on a relatively cheap Marshall to help guide their young halves.

They had Benji prepared to go there on the smell of an oily rag. Seriously, he was not chasing money – he was chasing opportunity and the thought he was heading to the Bulldogs.

“Souths came up at the last minute when he had nowhere to go. Don’t you give a guy like that an opportunity?

“His experience takes a lot of pressure off Kyle Flanagan, because at the moment Kyle Flanagan is going backwards. They’re playing without confidence whatsoever.”

Flanagan dropped a simple pass in the loss to Brisbane and from there the Broncos fought their way back into the game.

Kent urged Barrett to simplify the Dogs’ game plan in a bid to reignite the confidence within his side.

“I think Canterbury have to go back to fundamental football,” he added.

“That’s what turns them around – catch, pass, three on two, make the right call.

“It’s simple stuff. They’ve struggled to get to their kick, poor old Kyle Flanagan, you watch them and they make a break and he got the ball and he dropped his lollies.

“It’s just some of the mistakes there, that’s endemic of the pressure that’s on them at the moment.

“They have to play the long game in their salary cap and their recruitment and they’ve got to play the long game in teaching these guys how to play footy.

“Respectfully, there were guys in that team on the weekend who aren’t NRL players.

“They're just not up to the level. I feel sorry for Trent Barrett who has to pick them.

“I feel sorry for the kids that have got to come in, who don’t look like they can compete on level terms.”

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
People are kidding themselves if they think Benji would be making a massive difference. The role he is playing at Souths is perfect for where he is at. Playing behind a beaten pack and expected to create everything is way past him now.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What do you expect cuz, he’s a journalist. Embellishment is his bread and butter. He’s right except for the part where he said Flanno dropped his lollies, that was Elliots fault
I knew this guy could talk, however didn't know he could coach lol.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
if flannigan scores the game might have been completely different. i just want to see us out some points on and muscle up in D
It would definitely be different, whoever scored the first try was winning that game. We had about 5 good chances to score before they did and we blew them all.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It would definitely be different, whoever scored the first try was winning that game. We had about 5 good chances to score before they did and we blew them all.
the worm will turn hopefully, lets hope the team is staying positive, we get thompson back next week and he is a huge in, especially in todays game, it is built for him.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Noooo dickhead... 2021 was the year we start buying! A classy front row changes everything Kenty, one year more of purchases aligned with the kids coming through and the purchases already made 2022 is the year we start kicking.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Noooo dickhead... 2021 was the year we start buying! A classy front row changes everything Kenty, one year more of purchases aligned with the kids coming through and the purchases already made 2022 is the year we start kicking.
Yep, we will start clicking, maybe late in the year or next year but it will happen. We just need to be patient. The one thing we can do that will help is not to start chopping and changing board members and Barrett needs to be given a fair crack, at least 1.5 - 2 years before we even talk about sackings. Same with the new players like Flanno, Allen, Hethro, Cotric etc they need their experience, we just need more quality player purchases to work with them. We know the two coming next year, add some serious forwards and a nine....THEN there will be no excuses! But not now

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
the worm will turn hopefully, lets hope the team is staying positive, we get thompson back next week and he is a huge in, especially in todays game, it is built for him.
Hopefully they're more positive than me..

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Like I said on Facebook.
It was always about 22/23
2021 was just about having to cap space for the rebuild..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Geez Kent doesn't miss an opportunity to tell players to stay away from the club does he? It must kill him that we signed Burton without overpaying.

And 2022 was always the season we were building towards roster wise. But they won't let the truth get in the way of their agenda..

Last edited: