2021 Round 5 - Other Team Lists and Game Discussion

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Vlad will be running for Craig Kelly's seat next.

Tell the truth you lying pollie.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am still doing a little digging but this year we are seeing an average of 52.5 penalty's per round as apposed to 75.5 penalty's per round in 2020. interestingly the NRL don't share stoppage times per game in any stats. I will bet that the stoppage time is far less which in turn is creating more fatigue. They also don't publish how many 6 again's (I wonder why..) per game, at least not anywhere I can see.
Tell you the truth I’m old school I don’t care abt stats meters gained etc ect I want to see a contest with the slim chance the underdog can win I want to see a good old fashioned scrap a game of attrition the game now has become tab driven and pointless have a look at the herald article today even the media is now asking questions their getting worried fans are exiting enmass ppl are switching off

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Watching most games the last few rounds it's clear that there are 3 comps within 1 and that those in first grade get all the 50-50 calls from the refs and those in 3rd grade are treated like they are learning the game from refs.

1st grade - Panthers, roosters, Rabbitohs, storm, eels, raiders

2nd grade - sharks, knights, tigers, titans, warriors, dragons

3rd grade - Broncos, Bulldogs, sea Eagles, cowboys

Vlad's defence of what league has become must tell us that's what they want to see with the game now and therefore the refs acting to their "interpretations."

Only interest for the majority of non-elite bottom 10 team supporters is when we play each other.

Even then the 2nd graders will get all the 50/50's.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I heard V'landys on the radio this morning in complete denial even suggesting that there are less 6 agains than last year and less injurys.. Was a good appointment before Covid but is showing his lack of footy touch badly with many of his latest calls..
The only desired effect is that the teams who are really good at making it look like they are complying are winning the six again and reaping all the benefits. A load of crap about the fewer penalties....half the ones being called as six again were never called as penalties in the past anyway..so that is a skewed statistic. The majority of the six again ones you don't even know why they are being awarded.......

Graham Annesley is confident the 10-metre six-again rule has initially had the desired effect with fewer general penalties awarded and players being more compliant.

Data from the opening two rounds of 2021 shows the average number of penalties per game was 6.7 compared to 10 last season.

Ruck infringement six-agains have decreased to 5.3 per game from seven last year, while only 1.8 six-agains for 10-metre infringements – the newest rule addition – were called on average across the first 16 matches.

Last year, including finals, there were 344 inside 10-metre offside penalties blown in 169 premiership matches (2.03 per game).

Annesley, the NRL head of football, is pleased with the results but said "referees won't hesitate to go harder if they have to" and "they're not under any instruction to artificially keep those figures low".

"I think those savings in penalties have come from those areas where they would have given penalties in the past, like rucks and 10 metres," Annesley told NRL.com after his Monday media briefing.

"So I still think they're applying the same standards to all other facets of the game... The last thing I would want to do is give the impression that we're moving towards almost an 'anything goes' scenario.

"That's not the case at all. They've still got to apply the same standards, whether it be six-again for 10 metres, whether it be six-again for rucks or whether it be general play penalties.

"If [10-metre six-agains] were to creep up to two, three, four, five a game because players start pushing the limits, then so be it.

"But I'm not overly concerned about it; in fact, I'm happy that what we're seeing so far and what we're measuring so far is demonstrating that to this point, it is having an impact."

Annesley said the NRL was aware that defending teams may try to "get an advantage" from the 10-metre rule by shooting off the line at the start of sets in a bid to force an error or stall their opponents' momentum, risking the referee restarting the tackle count.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They're on the match stats when you look it at game by game. Under team stats and in the negative play section, you will see penalties conceded and ruck infringements which is 6 agains
Yep and last night Souths were never offside, only infringed twice in the ruck area and were twice as disciplined in general play as the Broncos. Compare that to last week against us where we conceded twice as many penalties as Souths, had twice as many ruck infringements but only conceded one inside the ten to their two....

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Does anybody give Manly a chance at beating the warriors?
No i doubt it although they have to win one soon i guess.Want to see how Bunty goes again tonight hope he is in our sights as a prop worthy for the Dog's rebuild.
The 2nd game should be a beauty though, looking forward to Burto's Panthers V Raiders..

chemdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No i doubt it although they have to win one soon i guess.Want to see how Bunty goes again tonight hope he is in our sights as a prop worthy for the Dog's rebuild.
The 2nd game should be a beauty though, looking forward to Burto's Panthers V Raiders..
bunty isnt playing tonight got suspended for 1 game

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Watching most games the last few rounds it's clear that there are 3 comps within 1 and that those in first grade get all the 50-50 calls from the refs and those in 3rd grade are treated like they are learning the game from refs.

1st grade - Panthers, roosters, Rabbitohs, storm, eels, raiders

2nd grade - sharks, knights, tigers, titans, warriors, dragons

3rd grade - Broncos, Bulldogs, sea Eagles, cowboys
I was telling a mate today that the NRL May as well play first, second and third divisions

Once upon a time you could count on 4-5 upsets per round but now lucky to get one

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Brisbane purposely gave the full penalty away so they could get a breath.

Maybe that’s the way to do it, if you hear 6 again in the ruck just rip the fucking ball out so it’s a normal penalty so you can get a rest
I had a thought about this. If the teams getting pumped with 6 agains and subsequent tries they should kick off then run back to the tryline and setup and wait haha

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I had a thought about this. If the teams getting pumped with 6 agains and subsequent tries they should kick off then run back to the tryline and setup and wait haha
Or just the 30m mark and form up a defensive line. Des might coach it tonight. He is pretty innovative with new tactics.

That flop with the ball tucked under your arm within the 20m, dying on last tackle was groundbreaking stuff.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Two former dogs centres in this one, Monty and Morgan. Both have made an error so far...

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How many players in NRL these days don't get footy? The right side back rower for Warriors just got an excellent pass that put him on the outside shoulder of his opposite with space on his right, instead of sprinting for the outside shoulder with ball or fend out looking to attract a second defender and create a two on one he heads back infield. *epic facepalm*

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Jake has regressed soooooooo hard, wtf does Des do to these blokes?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The only good thing that can be said about this game so far is that the score is close, everything else about it is putrid