2021 Finals Week 1 - Other Team Lists and Game Discussion

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just went back and looked at it, you are deadset correct, drops it, and it hits the ground before his boot makes contact.
Just how can you award a penalty try if the player who had it prior to the other being taken out drops it? Even taking in to account the fact that his foot contacted the ball it was after it had hit the ground and he never regained control of it.
This game never ceases to surprise...I seem to remember a similar thing with Slater where he dropped the ball then kicked it for himself and went through to score, bunker adjudicates and awards try...Referee Ashley Klein both times.......

WATCH: Billy Slater drop-kick try blunder ‘worst call in history’
Staff writersFOX SPORTS
April 20, 2018 9:03PM

TALK the game up?

The referees aren’t making it easy.

League fans and experts alike were gobsmacked by the decision to award Billy Slater a try where the champion fullback dropped the ball before kicking it into the in-goal and grounding the ball.

A joyless Slater admitted he dropped the ball to the official, yet strangely referee Ashley Klein sent the vision to the Bunker and claimed to Brisbane captain Darius Boyd that Slater made a genuine attempt to drop kick the ball in one of the most bizarre calls you’ll ever see.

“He drops the ball and then he kicks it,” Anasta said on FOX League.

“That was a shocking call.

“… for one, they (the refs) should know the rules.”

Veteran commentator Andrew Voss said during the call, according to the NRL rule book ‘the drop kick has to be a genuine shot at posts’.

Premiership winning hooker Michael Ennis added; “it has to be a genuine attempt, it has to be.”

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just how can you award a penalty try if the player who had it prior to the other being taken out drops it? Even taking in to account the fact that his foot contacted the ball it was after it had hit the ground and he never regained control of it.
This game never ceases to surprise...I seem to remember a similar thing with Slater where he dropped the ball then kicked it for himself and went through to score, bunker adjudicates and awards try...Referee Ashley Klein both times.......

WATCH: Billy Slater drop-kick try blunder ‘worst call in history’
Staff writersFOX SPORTS
April 20, 2018 9:03PM

TALK the game up?

The referees aren’t making it easy.

League fans and experts alike were gobsmacked by the decision to award Billy Slater a try where the champion fullback dropped the ball before kicking it into the in-goal and grounding the ball.

A joyless Slater admitted he dropped the ball to the official, yet strangely referee Ashley Klein sent the vision to the Bunker and claimed to Brisbane captain Darius Boyd that Slater made a genuine attempt to drop kick the ball in one of the most bizarre calls you’ll ever see.

“He drops the ball and then he kicks it,” Anasta said on FOX League.

“That was a shocking call.

“… for one, they (the refs) should know the rules.”

Veteran commentator Andrew Voss said during the call, according to the NRL rule book ‘the drop kick has to be a genuine shot at posts’.

Premiership winning hooker Michael Ennis added; “it has to be a genuine attempt, it has to be.”
The officiating is as culpable in the decline of the game as any other factor.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No one in that Knights spine takes any pressure off Ponga, it's all on him to get their attack firing.

Parramatta has a lot more balance in their spine. Also Brailey is overrated.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s not a penalty try as the ball was dropped before it was kicked. Pretty sure they stopped that rule after the Slater fiasco a few years back
He was tackled before he had it and thus prevented from getting a clear shot at the ball. I would have given it as I would have the one last night on Radley.

As for Slater the rule you are alluding to is the 8 point try rule where he slid in feet first in an effort to kick the ball out of the try scorers hands.

As for whether gutherson dropped it before the kick, that was cleared by the bunker.

Penalty try and 8 point try are 2 different beasts.

And before anyone suggests otherwise the ruling today either had to be a penalty try or a sin bin for a professional foul. Not both.

Last edited:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He was tackled before he had it and thus prevented from getting a clear shot at the ball. I would have given it as I would have the one last night on Radley.

As for Slater the rule you are alluding to is the 8 point try rule where he slid in feet first in an effort to kick the ball out of the try scorers hands.

And before anyone suggests otherwise the ruling today either had to be a penalty try or a sin bin for a professional foul. Not both.
I think Nexus is referring to the Gutho kick, or non kick as it was. I went back and looked at the replay and he absolutely drops it and only gets boot to ball after the ball hits the turf. All of that happened before the professional foul, rendering it irrelevant.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

As for whether gathering dropped it before the kick, that was cleared by the bunker.

Lol what??? The tackle on Gutherson was fine, wtf are you talking about? It wasn’t even looked at.
He then dropped the ball before kicking it.. end of play. What happens after that is then irrelevent.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The bunker came up with another clanger? No way.

You just have to hope you are on the right end of their dudcisions come finals time.

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Nexus is referring to the Gutho kick, or non kick as it was. I went back and looked at the replay and he absolutely drops it and only gets boot to ball after the ball hits the turf. All of that happened before the professional foul, rendering it irrelevant.
It was obviously dropped watching live. That the replay clearly confirmed that, and yet the video ref still got the call wrong is unacceptable.
The bunker has been particularly bad this year. And mistakes where they misinterpret or are ignorant of the actual rules are completely shocking to me

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether the ball hit the ground first or not. What I am sure about is that the video ref Grant Atkins is the son of former Parra winger of the 70's and 80's, Graeme Atkins.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We know how Knights fans feel after another refereeing blunder, this time from the video ref, some of these must have their eye painted on or need a visit to specsavers. May not have had any bearing on the end result but put an end to any chance they had and in turn, their season.

Parra once again were good in patches and against teams that finish below them on the table. This win wouldn't be sending any shockwaves through the Panthers camp.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether the ball hit the ground first or not. What I am sure about is that the video ref Grant Atkins is the son of former Parra winger of the 70's and 80's, Graeme Atkins.
It hit the ground 100%, it’s not even a 50/50 call. Absolutely disgraceful decision.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol what??? The tackle on Gutherson was fine, wtf are you talking about? It wasn’t even looked at.
He then dropped the ball before kicking it.. end of play. What happens after that is then irrelevent.
Billy Slater used to kick the ball out of a try scorers hands to cause an 8 point try. I had forgotten about his drop kick try.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
After this week i still think the last 4 teams left in the finals will be the top 4, and Storm will win it.