2021 Cap Space

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
This will be different from previous downturns. Many small businesses, and people who lost their jobs, won't have the money to just bounce back, and this will slow the recovery. Money will only be spent on essentials while people wait for things to recover, and look for jobs that will be harder to find with fewer companies surviving.

Much depends on what money the government will give to welfare to get things up and running quickly - otherwise, we are looking at a dreary economy for a long time.
Well I think history shows us it will still bounce back fast mate after we hit the bottom, look at Coles for example advertising 2 x 5k jobs. Maybe there won’t be as many small businesses there might be a shift toward PAYG but the government has already announced the first round of stimulus packages and we haven’t got to the worst yet. The government still has a few leavers to pull.

I think there will be plenty of money floating around mainly due to government grants and the issue then will be inflation as the value of the dollar will drop.

This is not the first pandemic I encourage you to read a bit more around the Spanish flu in the 1920s if you are worried the economy won’t bounce back. There is the Great Depression and also more recently the GFC.

One thing that will happen undoubtedly is some industries will shrink and others will get bigger, Australia will place greater emphasis on localisation and you will see the growth of some emerging economies around the world as other countries move away from relying on China where possible.

Look I’m not an economist I just read a lot and that’s my opinion.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
What I am personally wondering is if all contracts end up null and void. Would be very interesting.

youd keep Lewis, Jackson, Holland, Napa, Thompson and CHN, but everyone else is fair game!
Lewis, Holland no chance...

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The NRL has already stated that the salary cap will be reduced from next year, but they are obviously waiting for the dust to settle.
It will be reduced to around 7m per season

Nine and Fox have already stopped payments for this year and nine wants to renegotiate their contract with the Nrl, but with a lower payment then what they currently pay.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know none of us nor anyone at the club or NRL could give a definitive answer about how all of this affects the salary cap or our 2021 cap space.

But theoretically if the cap is greatly reduced, do you think they would have to cut players salaries down by a certain percentage across the board?

If so, would clubs like ours maintain their potential cap space relative to the new cap amount or do you think they'll just start over and essentially make everyone a free agent?

It would be a shame if we couldn't capitalise on the massive cap space we've waited six long and frustrating years for after Des and Dib destroyed the club. Or should we just be happy if our club can even survive this economic crisis across the world?
My only concern is our club surviving, we have had the NRL the Media and I know for a fact that many around the traps who want us out of the comp because of our clubs demographics.
Now our white knight the Leagues club has had to close its doors, if a business that size is not making money it can only mean that it is loosing money probably big money.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I see it slightly different.

too many times I see 'as long as dogs survive cuz' posts.

but what good is the nrl if only we survive and the others all die and we are playing against the St pats shamrocks, Auburn Warriors etc.

surely we want the NRL ECOSYSTEM to survive.
We want those clashes with our traditional rivals the tigers.
We want to play against other local derbies.
We want to know that when we go to Albion hotel after a Bankwest game, we are on foreign turf.

this is League, we want to know our rivals, they are still our friends in our fishbowl.
I understand a lot here are kicking their lips at going in to Norths and manly territory next year, but to me it isn't worth it if the sea eagles die.
When a team die you lose supporters from ten game. Th only team I wouldn't care to see the back of us the tits, and they were a mess from day two.
I mean, why would you call yourselves titans instead of gold coast gladiators ?
Or Gold Coast gremlins considering Warner bro's movie world is next door.
Why would you have NSW blue on your jersey as well ?

so many messes. Bring back crushers and that cool jersey they had.

This is Nasheed and these words are fire! not even the wu tang clan is spitting out lyrical acid like me today.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont buy into this reduces cap rubbish. Whats corona got to do with the cap. It's a one off impacting all industries. The cap is competitive with other rugby leagues in the world and there's no reason to cut it
Have heard many times that the Networks will be reducing the money they are currently paying for the rights. If true it can only mean less money to the NRL which also means less money to the clubs, and a reduction to the cap.

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Have heard many times that the Networks will be reducing the money they are currently paying for the rights. If true it can only mean less money to the NRL which also means less money to the clubs, and a reduction to the cap.
Networks using the opportunity to make more money...

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
All these years of pain will be for nothing. 2021 will see a reduced everything so they can get in the green again. We will be on the same footing as every other team which means we may have been better off just salary cap cheating like all the top teams. All problem is we will have our cap filled with sub-par players and be back at square one, non competitive and no talent.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
If the NRL was smart (and they aren't) they would try and capatalise on the small bit of exposure the USA got of our game. Break into that market and the sky is the limit.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Networks using the opportunity to make more money...
You are right on the ball, the big corporations are very good at screwing every cent they can from their suppliers, I know of a number of pork producers been sent to the wall by one of the major Supermarkets.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly right. The big winners will be Roosters Sharks Manly
All these years of pain will be for nothing. 2021 will see a reduced everything so they can get in the green again. We will be on the same footing as every other team which means we may have been better off just salary cap cheating like all the top teams. All problem is we will have our cap filled with sub-par players and be back at square one, non competitive and no talent.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
This is unlike any previous economic recession, there is no financial cause. It’s cause is health related so can not be compared to the Financial Crisis or the Great Depression which were created by financial issues. The Spanish flu was too long ago (100 years) to give much of an indication, technology and knowledge has moved dramatically in the time not the least of which is DNA sequencing which facilitates recognition and targeting of both diseases and their cures The drug companies have huge resources, in people, funds and research equipment. Treatments are a couple of months away and a vaccine is several months post that. There are trillions of dollars just waiting to be made and the drug companies are in competition to be the first. I have absolutely no doubt that Covid-19 will be included with next years flu shot.

That’s why the bounce back will be swift and substantial. Companies will need to publicise that they are back, trading, have plenty of stock and need to attract customers. Particularly those that closed due to the virus, they need to entice their customers back. As well as attract those customers from their opposition that delay their reopening or don’t reopen at all. The companies that are ready to go will make a killing, because there will be a whole lot of pent up demand just waiting to be released.

Go Dogs

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
@TwinTurbo I agree the bounce back will be swift once we hit the bottom but weather the cause of the crisis is financial or for health reasons the same principal applies throughout history. People aren’t spending money now but they can and will in the near future the government will actually ask them to do this. The stimulus package isn’t savings for a rainy day it is meant to be spent and circulating through the economy.

discretionary spend comes down to consumer confidence which isn’t there now but once it is there people will spend, history has proven this time and time again.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I know none of us nor anyone at the club or NRL could give a definitive answer about how all of this affects the salary cap or our 2021 cap space.

But theoretically if the cap is greatly reduced, do you think they would have to cut players salaries down by a certain percentage across the board?

If so, would clubs like ours maintain their potential cap space relative to the new cap amount or do you think they'll just start over and essentially make everyone a free agent?

It would be a shame if we couldn't capitalise on the massive cap space we've waited six long and frustrating years for after Des and Dib destroyed the club. Or should we just be happy if our club can even survive this economic crisis across the world?
I hope I am wrong
I think we are about to see the true face of the Nationl Rorts League that is controlled by News Ltd foxtel and PBL 9 networks.
Originally after the supper league war they insisted on 14 teams comp and believed in reducing the teams in Sydney.
Will they use the catastrophic situation to implement their ways ?
If the NRL true intentions are to save and protect all 16 teams...
This is my vision how to do it...
* Maintain the 30 men squad format.
* Maintain the salary cap (what ever it may be) ensuring all clubs abide by the rules...Heavy penalties.
Fair trade rule would be great but won't work for these simply reasons, we have one country, state or city teams playing in one comp therefore it creates very uneven grounds.
* Replace the current TPA system by introducing a new format, 16 teams representatives forming the unified TPAs group working towards presenting a better image of the game helping to attract more TPAs, equally shared amongst all clubs ensuring prosperity to all.
* Introduce transfer fees, this will encourage and reward the clubs who unearths and develops players.
* Transfer fees should be fully or partially included in the salary cap to protect weakest clubs.
* A Juniors Transfers Funds System should be created to fund and reward the juniors clubs, funds must be distributed equally to all juniors clubs. based on the number of players at each club in order to properly strengthen the game from the roots up.
* Junior clubs areas should be divided equally among all 16 clubs, ultimately making each club responsible for their designated area.
* Junior clubs and players should protected from the selfish clubs by introducing a law against poaching players illegally.
I believe it's possible, do you ???

Last edited:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I think history shows us it will still bounce back fast mate after we hit the bottom, look at Coles for example advertising 2 x 5k jobs. Maybe there won’t be as many small businesses there might be a shift toward PAYG but the government has already announced the first round of stimulus packages and we haven’t got to the worst yet. The government still has a few leavers to pull.

I think there will be plenty of money floating around mainly due to government grants and the issue then will be inflation as the value of the dollar will drop.

This is not the first pandemic I encourage you to read a bit more around the Spanish flu in the 1920s if you are worried the economy won’t bounce back. There is the Great Depression and also more recently the GFC.

One thing that will happen undoubtedly is some industries will shrink and others will get bigger, Australia will place greater emphasis on localisation and you will see the growth of some emerging economies around the world as other countries move away from relying on China where possible.

My parents and grandparents lived through the Spanish Flu and Great Depression. My grandfather had a government job and was financially protected. My other grandfather was a baker, so had an essential job. Many of their friends did it tough. The NSW government had its own work for the dole schemes where railways to nowhere were constructed, and most of Sydney's concrete roads and canals were built. People were more flexible in those days, and prepared to move and follow the work.
We are in different times, with different attitudes. It will be interesting to see how people with heavy mortgages or those relying on investment returns get by over the next 12 months. The government has a strong economy and can find the money required, and there will be many opportunities; yet I still fear for the welfare and lives of the people who will be left behind.

I'm over 70 and doing OK, and my children have jobs in companies that are going well- and they can work from home.
I've had to cancel a job overseas, and don't know if the next one will go ahead later this year - but I can get by without the work. In the places where I would normally do volunteer work, there are vulnerable people that I am concerned for - especially older people living alone.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

My parents and grandparents lived through the Spanish Flu and Great Depression. My grandfather had a government job and was financially protected. My other grandfather was a baker, so had an essential job. Many of their friends did it tough. The NSW government had its own work for the dole schemes where railways to nowhere were constructed, and most of Sydney's concrete roads and canals were built. People were more flexible in those days, and prepared to move and follow the work.
We are in different times, with different attitudes. It will be interesting to see how people with heavy mortgages or those relying on investment returns get by over the next 12 months. The government has a strong economy and can find the money required, and there will be many opportunities; yet I still fear for the welfare and lives of the people who will be left behind.

I'm over 70 and doing OK, and my children have jobs in companies that are going well- and they can work from home.
I've had to cancel a job overseas, and don't know if the next one will go ahead later this year - but I can get by without the work. In the places where I would normally do volunteer work, there are vulnerable people that I am concerned for - especially older people living alone.
I hope I am wrong
I think we are about to see the true face of the Nationl Rorts League that is controlled by News Ltd foxtel and PBL 9 networks.
Originally after the supper league war they insisted on 14 teams comp and believed in reducing the teams in Sydney.
Will they use the catastrophic situation to implement their ways ?
If the NRL true intentions are to save and protect all 16 teams...
This is my vision how to do it...
* Maintain the 30 men squad format.
* Maintain the salary cap (what ever it may be) ensuring all clubs abide by the rules...Heavy penalties.
Fair trade rule would be great but won't work for these simply reasons, we have one country, state or city teams playing in one comp therefore it creates very uneven grounds.
* Replace the current TPA system by introducing a new format, 16 teams representatives forming the unified TPAs group working towards presenting a better image of the game helping to attract more TPAs, equally shared amongst all clubs ensuring prosperity to all.
* Introduce transfer fees, this will encourage and reward the clubs who unearths and develops players.
* Transfer fees should be fully or partially included in the salary cap to protect weakest clubs.
* A Juniors Transfers Funds System should be created to fund and reward the juniors clubs, funds must be distributed equally to all juniors clubs. based on the number of players at each club in order to properly strengthen the game from the roots up.
* Junior clubs areas should be divided equally among all 16 clubs, ultimately making each club responsible for their designated area.
* Junior clubs and players should protected from the selfish clubs by introducing a law against poaching players illegally.
I believe it's possible, do you ???
The AFL had a policy where every club has a regional area to develop talent; and that area is their recruiting ground, where they claim first pick. It is a benefit for the clubs and regional football. I'd like to see the NRL do the same.

And let's just drop the TPAs altogether, and make every club work with the same cap and no tricky ways to augment it.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
A quick explanation of how TPA’s work in the real world. I currently work and have previously worked for companies that have direct relationships with players. The values vary from a few hundred dollars to thousands of dollars. The contracts are direct between the player and the company, often extend over multiple years and have included things like motivational speaking to employees, guest speaking at company events, product launches, customer awards presentation, employee fitness sesions etc. Often it includes their images being used in advertising media and on line. There were TPA’s long before they were called TPA’s and long before they were reported.

Often these contracts have a local basis, for example a Canberra based company with a Raiders player used for promotions with that company’s customers in Canberra using local TV, radio and newspapers. If that localised arrangement wasn’t possible then why would the company see the need for TPA? For example it would be pretty stupid for that same Canberra based business to be forced into a TPA with a Townsville based Cowboys player. There are not many TPA’s that I know of that are with “National” companies, hence geography is very relevant and needs to be respected.

The TPA’s that I have been involved with are not just simply a company handing over money to a player and not getting something in return. They are mutually beneficial, the player is paid for his contribution to the company’s bottom line. The vast majority of these are monitored and measured, the companies expect and demand value for their money. Hence why a one to one relationship is important.

Go Dogs

bullpup71

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The cap will be the same as this year and won’t move up or down

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Congrats mate sounds like you have worked hard and done well in life. I do share the concerns for the older people at this time right now as they are vulnerable for a number of reasons.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

The AFL had a policy where every club has a regional area to develop talent; and that area is their recruiting ground, where they claim first pick. It is a benefit for the clubs and regional football. I'd like to see the NRL do the same.

And let's just drop the TPAs altogether, and make every club work with the same cap and no tricky ways to augment it.
Times are difficult and testing our salvation is in people being there for each other, this is how it was, is and always will be !
Being a very passionate rugby league fan, after the supper league war I used to think and wonder what can be done to improve the game ?
Intentionally I documented those ideas (still have records) intending to post them to the ARL but never did, believe it or not one of the ideas was the AFL policy.
As for the TPAs it is beneficial for the game if the funds are equally distributed among the 16 clubs !!!

Last edited: