Opinion 2021… The year where Rugby League died in Australia

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Now I’m not only saying this because I’m a dogs supporter and we are at the bottom, but there was a time where I would watch almost every game with excitement because the product was relatively good… but in the last few year and especially in 2021 the game is barely on life support. I can’t enjoy watching any games these days, not only just ours, its boring and predictable and only 2 teams can win.

Not to mention the rule changes, the laughable calls, the controversy, I go into every game worrying about referees more than my team.
Its a real shame that it has got to this point, but the nrl will never win in the code battle with AFL.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
The likes of Penrith and Storm have built their side well and are reaping the benefits. Even the roosters have dealt well with all their injuries. I enjoy their games.

The AFL is only relevant in Melbourne lol. We were ill disciplined in the second half and made mistakes which lead to the eels winning the game.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The likes of Penrith and Storm have built their side well and are reaping the benefits. Even the roosters have dealt well with all their injuries. I enjoy their games.

The AFL is only relevant in Melbourne lol. We were ill disciplined in the second half and made mistakes which lead to the eels winning the game.
K.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
So we blame everyone but our own inept second half performance? OK.
We sure didn't help ourselves. Fucking rubbish from the coach down.

Baz Is Pays reincarnate.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is the new era. The rules are ridiculous, the refs are even more corrupt. It’s a joke. But it is still league and it’s still the best game. When we are wining again like storm/panthers.. all we will be doing is celebrating and loving it, until then its so easy to see how pathetic it’s actually become.

still tue best game to me. Will never stop watching.!!

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Baz Is Pays reincarnate.
At half time we all thought he was doing well lol… there is seriously something wrong with the game

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Your cracked don’t talk to me…. If you enjoy rugby league in 2021 then suffer… and I was talking about the game as a whole
A conspiracy theorist calls some else cracked :tearsofjoy:.
If you’re talking about the game in general:

- Why wasn’t it listed in the RL General thread?
- Why was it posted 5min after a Bulldogs loss?

We lost the game today Alzz - there is no other reason.

PS: ‘You’re cracked’ :-).

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
They want a politically correct version so Grandma can watch without shoulder hits and punch ons then they broadcast redneck propaganda so the public is dictated to.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Baz Is Pays reincarnate.
I can’t blame Baz for our second half:

- Napa/Wakeham brain fart
- Thommo in the bucket
- Herb broken cheek
- Katoa and Cotric HIA
- We completed I think 6 sets

We lost it ourselves, we didn’t need help.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m just as frustrated as everyone else but absolutely no point in making excuses or blaming others.
We just aren’t good enough , people need to watch the second half again then realise all those mistakes are the real reason we lost.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now I’m not only saying this because I’m a dogs supporter and we are at the bottom, but there was a time where I would watch almost every game with excitement because the product was relatively good… but in the last few year and especially in 2021 the game is barely on life support. I can’t enjoy watching any games these days, not only just ours, its boring and predictable and only 2 teams can win.

Not to mention the rule changes, the laughable calls, the controversy, I go into every game worrying about referees more than my team.
Its a real shame that it has got to this point, but the nrl will never win in the code battle with AFL.
Absolutely agree. I find watching other games far less interesting than previous seasons. The lop sided refereeing is making it a cakewalk for the top sides, and embarrassing for fans of the lower performing sides.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Alzz has a point - it's not just about the Dogs but the lopsided results every week. There is no competition, and the top sides are rolling over the bottom eight. You can't put it down to eight sides being brilliant and the rest just no hopers.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Alzz has a point - it's not just about the Dogs but the lopsided results every week. There is no competition, and the top sides are rolling over the bottom eight. You can't put it down to eight sides being brilliant and the rest just no hopers.
I’m not a fan of the set restart rule and I know the Bulldogs club have made the NRL aware of their unhappiness with it too, as I’m sure other clubs have. I expect a review at seasons end. But whether they modify it or go back to ruck infringement penalties, the cause is 90% the same - ill discipline.

All this talk of referee and NRL corruption and betting companies fixing games is no different to those who say Trump won the election - it’s all dribble with no evidence. Some will call that naive or whatever and I say if you’re going to point the finger, supply the proof.

That all said, no-one wants to see continued 50 point drubbings - but Bulldogs fans must accept the reality - right now we are just not good enough.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of the set restart rule and I know the Bulldogs club have made the NRL aware of their unhappiness with it too, as I’m sure other clubs have. I expect a review at seasons end. But whether they modify it or go back to ruck infringement penalties, the cause is 90% the same - ill discipline.

All this talk of referee and NRL corruption and betting companies fixing games is no different to those who say Trump won the election - it’s all dribble with no evidence. Some will call that naive or whatever and I say if you’re going to point the finger, supply the proof.

That all said, no-one wants to see continued 50 point drubbings - but Bulldogs fans must accept the reality - right now we are just not good enough.
As you say that we are currently seeing another 50 point drubbing in the manly Titans game

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score

Well said I agree..