Opinion 2020 jersey

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
That's my whole point on lack of foresight I'm not talking about revising the design this should have been done on the initial design.
But don't you then still have the same problem?
You design and manufacture a completed V - and then a sponsor comes along and you don't just stick a logo over the end of the V, you likely have to cut the V and manufacture again...
One of the reasons why KIA was such a lucrative sponsorship is we gave the most real estate on the jersey any club had ever previously given (or so I was told).
So if I (very) begrudgingly give the previous administration any credit - it might be related to this.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
But don't you then still have the same problem?
You design and manufacture a completed V - and then a sponsor comes along and you don't just stick a logo over the end of the V, you likely have to cut the V and manufacture again...
One of the reasons why KIA was such a lucrative sponsorship is we gave the most real estate on the jersey any club had ever previously given (or so I was told).
So if I (very) begrudgingly give the previous administration any credit - it might be related to this.
Of course you would have to change the design to integrate the new sponsor that would happen regardless.
With a bit more attention to detail and foresight we could have been running around in a jersey that didn't look unfinished until a sponsor came on board.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Here’s some food for thought when it comes to sponsorships.

CAN’T SELL THE STORM

THE most successful NRL club of the past decade is struggling to find a major sponsor.

Blindside can reveal the mighty Melbourne Storm are facing a seven-figure blow if they can’t find a naming rights backer.

The Storm and 2019 sponsor Purple Bricks have parted ways, and Melbourne has yet to find a replacement.

The Storm had a sponsor lined up but the deal fell over during the Christmas break.

Melbourne’s struggles prove just how hard it has become for clubs to secure money in the corporate sector.

This is a club which has won three of the past four minor premierships, nearly guaranteed to finish in the finals every year and is a regular grand final contender.

The Storm don’t want to cheapen their product by selling it for unders and are happy to hold out in the hope of landing a big fish.

Even the strong clubs face a fight in the NRL for funding.
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/ee88a9a16e95809774394dfa38fa4b29
I think its fair to say that the Storm brand is successful. They've consistently played good footy, they have made the top 8 regularly, one horse town team and they've had some fairly high profile players in recent years including Smith who is still there. Cant remember off field drama's. They come across as a no-nonsense outfit. The only thing that looks poor from the outside is Belemy consistently losing his shit like Becker from the muppets in the coaches box which I dont think is a good look. So if they are struggling to find sponsorship perhaps there is some truth that clubs are struggling with sponsorship. The story posted talks of them not willing to 'give it away' which other's here have said the same of the Dogs. Dont know if they are actual facts though.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think its fair to say that the Storm brand is successful. They've consistently played good footy, they have made the top 8 regularly, one horse town team and they've had some fairly high profile players in recent years including Smith who is still there. Cant remember off field drama's. They come across as a no-nonsense outfit. The only thing that looks poor from the outside is Belemy consistently losing his shit like Becker from the muppets in the coaches box which I dont think is a good look. So if they are struggling to find sponsorship perhaps there is some truth that clubs are struggling with sponsorship. The story posted talks of them not willing to 'give it away' which other's here have said the same of the Dogs. Dont know if they are actual facts though.
The NRL on a whole stinks with corporate thanks to all the scandals from various clubs.

It's certainly not an easy task convincing a company to part with a million dollars when they risk having their reputation damaged when they get associated with a rape or other crimes.

Having said that it's not impossible but it will take time if they are trying to find the right fit. I'm sure they could get a sponsor tomorrow if they took a low ball offer.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Bring back the looser jerseys
From a player perspective, you are better off with a tight jersey so players cant easily grab your jersey to tackle you, but yeh from a fan perspective looser is def more comfortable imo. I just buy them a few sizes over my usual size so they are loose anyway ;)

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The NRL on a whole stinks with corporate thanks to all the scandals from various clubs.

It's certainly not an easy task convincing a company to part with a million dollars when they risk having their reputation damaged when they get associated with a rape or other crimes.

Having said that it's not impossible but it will take time if they are trying to find the right fit. I'm sure they could get a sponsor tomorrow if they took a low ball offer.
Totally agree.
Other side of the coin is a gazillion companies on the planet and months (year?) I assume to secure a major sponsor.
Is there one single person at the club who's job it is to sell/acquire sponsorship? Genuine question to everyone, I have no idea.

TheThird

Banned
Reaction score
One thing Classic did have some interesting supporter merchandise.
Grid iron and hockey jerseys are two I wish returned.
The cape connected to a gimp mask otoh was a bit weird and I can't think of the market for it.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Of course you would have to change the design to integrate the new sponsor that would happen regardless.
With a bit more attention to detail and foresight we could have been running around in a jersey that didn't look unfinished until a sponsor came on board.
Respectfully we'll agree to disagree :-)

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Totally agree.
Other side of the coin is a gazillion companies on the planet and months (year?) I assume to secure a major sponsor.
Is there one single person at the club who's job it is to sell/acquire sponsorship? Genuine question to everyone, I have no idea.
Different people get involved at different times, depending on both how lucrative and how warm the opportunity is.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Totally agree.
Completely agree whilst it isn't easy to get a major sponsor the right compay is out there and its up to the club to find it.

There's 3 or 4 staff at the club that have the sole focus on getting sponsors. They pinched Grant McFadden from Penrith a few years ago who is in charge of it all.

To the clubs credit they have been pretty good replacing all the other sponsors when they have left.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Completely agree whilst it isn't easy to get a major sponsor the right compay is out there and its up to the club to find it.

There's 3 or 4 staff at the club that have the sole focus on getting sponsors. They pinched Grant McFadden from Penrith a few years ago who is in charge of it all.

To the clubs credit they have been pretty good replacing all the other sponsors when they have left.
And outside KIA they've got a pretty decent retention record with corporate sponsors, player/position sponsors too. And they didn’t lose KIA 100%, they still put money on the table, just not as much as they used to.

Last edited:

TheThird

Banned
Reaction score
Respectfully we'll agree to disagree :-)
As someone that has designed a logo for an international company (which was also the one the company chose over competing designs), I can profess that it really is not as difficult as some are making it out to be.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
As someone that has designed a logo for an international company (which was also the one the company chose over competing designs), I can profess that it really is not as difficult as some are making it out to be.
But we're not talking about logos :-)

TheThird

Banned
Reaction score
@DinkumDog Our jersey is our branding!
Either way you desire to look at it, the same deaign concepts apply and I shared that to validate that mine is not just an uneducated personal opinion :grinning:

Edit: per chance, do you as a third party, have any idea why 187 thinks my prior post is funny?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
@DinkumDog Our jersey is our branding!
Either way you desire to look at it, the same deaign concepts apply and I shared that to validate that mine is not just an uneducated personal opinion :grinning:

Edit: per chance, do you as a third party, have any idea why 187 thinks my prior post is funny?
I'm lost. We were talking specifically about the V part of the jersey but somehow you've managed to introduce logo (not relevant) and branding (not relevant to the specific discussion point).
And no - I have no idea why any particular user reacts in the way they do to any post from any poster.

TheThird

Banned
Reaction score
I'm lost. We were talking specifically about the V part of the jersey but somehow you've managed to introduce logo (not relevant) and branding (not relevant to the specific discussion point).
And no - I have no idea why any particular user reacts in the way they do to any post from any poster.
We were discussing the design of the jersey which is the basis of my comment.

Ok, was hoping someone else's one step removed perspective may have seen something oblivious to me, as some reactions I've received here are downright confusing and random.
Stuff I've not encountered before.
Now I'm curious as to the particular dynamics specific to this forum for that to occur.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We were discussing the design of the jersey which is the basis of my comment.

Ok, was hoping someone else's one step removed perspective may have seen something oblivious to me, as some reactions I've received here are downright confusing and random.
Stuff I've not encountered before.
Now I'm curious as to the particular dynamics specific to this forum for that to occur.
They weren’t discussing the design they were discussing costs. And btw our jersey isn’t our brand you noob. And brands aren’t visual.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
C'mon show us this award winning logo.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry about the rating, my finger must’ve slipped as I scrolled.

Though in all seriousness my partners business needs a new logo designed, so would you be able to showcase some of your work? I assume you’ve got a website if you’re catering to a global market. Let’s connect.

Last edited: