Opinion 2019 Recruitment Review & Ratings

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't think this has been done so lets run the microscope over the recruits over the past 12 months.

GAINS

Corey Harawira-Naera:
8/10
Ran great lines and plays with plenty of energy. Defence is on the improve and looks to be a staple on our edge for years to come. Acquired at the right price at the right time as he sought greater opportunities. Capped the year with a New Zealand test call up.

Dylan Napa: 6/10
About par for the course. I thought most of his work in the back half of the year almost justified the price tag as he punched out some good minutes and several 200m+ games. Can forgive his somewhat slow start given his limited game time in 2018. As a 26 year old prop, his best years are yet to come and hopefully we see continued improvement.

Dallin Watene-Zelesniak: 9/10
Another shrewd piece of business. Kiwi test skipper acquired at a fairly modest price. The energy and leadership that he brings to the table rubs off on his team mates and we were a better overall unit with him in it. Always hungry, always runs with venom, and his talk at the back was valuable to our defence. Superb signing.

Nick Meaney: 7.5/10
Held his own during stints at fullback, and when shifted to the wing he grew into the role well. Confidence on the way up and at just 21 there's plenty to like about him. Blinding speed and can beat a tackle, finishing 2nd for the club in tackle busts. Impressive goalkicker and potted them at the 80% mark. Viable wing option for the short term, but I think will develop into a quality fullback/five eighth going forward.

Jack Cogger: 8.5/10
One of the best young halfbacks in the game. Looks to have time, which is everything as a halfback. Very composed and just looks to have a solid all round game. At just 22, he's got plenty in the locker to build upon. Backing him as our long term halfback in the Shifty Sherwin mould.

Christian Crichton: 4.5/10
Had the Kennel in a spin during the pre-season as Mr I uploaded countless shirtless pics, and close ups of his biceps and quads. Exposed early with some defensive lapses combined with giving away a bit of height to taller opponents. His strengths are with ball in hand, particularly starting sets. Didn't offer enough to hold down a starting wing spot and his season was somewhat marred by injury.

Sauaso Sue: 5.5/10
Hot and cold. Mixed some barnstorming carries with some errors and defensive lapses. If he can tighten up his all round game he could be a useful bench forward for us.

OVERALL: 8/10

Interested to hear the Kennels thoughts.

Last edited:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Flawed commenting.

We don’t know their prices so stating things like that aren’t accurate facts.

I also feel all bar Dwz where rated higher then reality.

Chn was dropped and benched and not utilised for a long part of the season correctly. Don’t necessarily blame him though as coaching clearly had issues.

Napa was average at best for a large part of the season.

Meaney had some promising end to the year but a large part was out of his depth. Will see how he goes next year before I run my mouth on him.

Cogger hardly earns 8.5 as someone who couldn’t keep Lewis out and to be honest it’s similar to Meaney. I won’t run my mouth on him for another year. He clearly has some great aspects but to me he seems like he won’t make it.

Crichton was a flop.

Sue about the same.

Also you have given a 49/70 which works out at 7/10.

Which is still based on your scores which are on the high side.

6/10 is about accurate if being honest.

Dwz outstanding recruitment
Chn should place somewhere close
Napa about average
Meaney and cogger could be above average could be flops
Sue below average bar a few great tackles
Crichton woeful

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Don't think this has been done so lets run the microscope over the recruits over the past 12 months.

GAINS

Corey Harawira-Naera:
8/10
Ran great lines and plays with plenty of energy. Defence is on the improve and looks to be a staple on our edge for years to come. Acquired at the right price at the right time as he sought greater opportunities. Capped the year with a New Zealand test call up.

About par for the course. I thought most of his work in the back half of the year almost justified the price tag as he punched out some good minutes and several 200m+ games. Can forgive his somewhat slow start given his limited game time in 2018. As a 26 year old prop, his best years are yet to come and hopefully we see continued improvement.

Another shrewd piece of business. Kiwi test skipper acquired at a fairly modest price. The energy and leadership that he brings to the table rubs off on his team mates and we were a better overall unit with him in it. Always hungry, always runs with venom, and his talk at the back was valuable to our defence. Superb signing.

Held his own during stints at fullback, and when shifted to the wing he grew into the role well. Confidence on the way up and at just 21 there's plenty to like about him. Blinding speed and can beat a tackle, finishing 2nd for the club in tackle busts. Impressive goalkicker and potted them at the 80% mark. Viable wing option for the short term, but I think will develop into a quality fullback/five eighth going forward.

One of the best young halfbacks in the game. Looks to have time, which is everything as a halfback. Very composed and just looks to have a solid all round game. At just 22, he's got plenty in the locker to build upon. Backing him as our long term halfback in the Shifty Sherwin mould.

Had the Kennel in a spin during the pre-season as Mr I uploaded countless shirtless pics, and close ups of his biceps and quads. Exposed early as with some defensive lapses combined with giving away a bit of height to taller opponents. His strengths are with ball in hand, particularly starting sets. Didn't offer enough to hold down a starting wing spot and his season was somewhat marred by injury.

Hot and cold. Mixed some barnstorming carries with some errors and defensive lapses. If he can tighten up his all round game he could be a useful bench forward for us.

Very pleased with the progression and attitude of Cogger and Meaney. CHN was great to can't wait to see him go next year after settling in with all the boys.
As for Crichton he's a Cup player now given Okunbur is infront of him as first reserve.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Flawed commenting.

We don’t know their prices so stating things like that aren’t accurate facts.

I also feel all bar Dwz where rated higher then reality.

Chn was dropped and benched and not utilised for a long part of the season correctly. Don’t necessarily blame him though as coaching clearly had issues.

Napa was average at best for a large part of the season.

Meaney had some promising end to the year but a large part was out of his depth. Will see how he goes next year before I run my mouth on him.

Cogger hardly earns 8.5 as someone who couldn’t keep Lewis out and to be honest it’s similar to Meaney. I won’t run my mouth on him for another year. He clearly has some great aspects but to me he seems like he won’t make it.

Crichton was a flop.

Sue about the same.

Also you have given a 49/70 which works out at 7/10.

Which is still based on your scores which are on the high side.

6/10 is about accurate if being honest.

Dwz outstanding recruitment
Chn should place somewhere close
Napa about average
Meaney and cogger could be above average could be flops
Sue below average bar a few great tackles
Crichton woeful
There's no context to your ratings system/recommendations.

My ratings are weighted by giving consideration to age, salary and potential. Meaney and Cogger were undoubtedly impressive and in my opinion will develop into very very good first graders. This combined with the fact they were low-cost buys, adds weight to their overall rating. If they were both say - 28 years old and on 500k+, then fair enough give them a 6/10. Context, my friend.

Hopefully this clears this up for you.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
8.5/10 for Cogger lol
I dunno about 8.5, but he 100% improved everytime he took the field and was always willing to take a hit or put his body on the line in first contact or trying to save tries in cover. Couple that with him being the only real organiser in our halves I'd say he did pretty well

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would have rated Napa higher personally, I thought he was consistent all year and showed good leadership. I was watching some replays of our season and I noticed how much of the 1%ers he does, and how often he was in the frame if a break was made... sure he may have missed a few tackles and looked tired a bit, but in a new role, coming off a premiership season, I thought he was solid! maybe a 7.75

Other than that I pretty much agree all your ratings... nice one

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It’s all pretty fair but I’d give Napa one or two of Cogger’s points. CHN was great once he fixed up his poor defence in reserve grade

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I would have rated Napa higher personally, I thought he was consistent all year and showed good leadership. I was watching some replays of our season and I noticed how much of the 1%ers he does, and how often he was in the frame if a break was made... sure he may have missed a few tackles and looked tired a bit, but in a new role, coming off a premiership season, I thought he was solid! maybe a 7.75

Other than that I pretty much agree all your ratings... nice one
Yeah fair call. Napa was a different player in the back half of the year. He grew into the role that we needed him for post-Klemmer.

Just looked like he had a better idea of how to harness his workload when playing those bigger minutes. He was more efficient in defence rather than always looking for the big shot. And definitely channeled that energy into improved go-forward. Slipped some nice offloads too. Here’s hoping for more of the same.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
CHN 7 - in and out of NRL and reserves at the start of the season, after the Cowboys game for ANZAC round was all up from there, has a good combination with Foran, dangerous and can create when running sideways, offload, broken play, etc.
Napa 5 - price tag isn't going to help this review, horrible for the majority of the season, flopped on contact and was a liability in defence, slapping at attackers and just being ran around, I still think his position is off the bench for 30 minutes (what he was doing towards the end at the Roosters). probably lost his origin spot now too. didn't really have any big moments in defence and just got penalised when he tried. just not a fan of his playstyle.
DWZ 9 - one of the buys of the season (the buy of the mid season), will be interesting how we start next year, we were a completely different team when he entered the side, runs the ball back hard and gets a quick play the ball, one of the most venomous runners in the NRL, needs to improve his passing game if staying Fullback, the top Fullbacks in the NRL can also play like a Five-Eighth.
Meaney 6 - was okay at Fullback, struggled on the Wing at first but was one of the most improved players in the team by the end of the season, competes on everything, is aggressive and is safe under the high ball, I personally think the Winger meta atm is pace, strength and height, needs to work on his strength to be a be a long term option.
Cogger 5 - was okay, I don't see him being anymore then back up tho (I think he'll play less next season). very average player in all areas, did look more and more confident tho when stringing games together.
Crichton 1 - one of the worst buys of the season, complete flop. height's an issue, isn't fancy/skilful enough to get away with it (e.g. like isaako). I personally never want to see him run onto the field again for us.
Sue 2 - was okay, had a few good moments. didn't play the majority of the season due to injury tho. very aggressive/intimidating. i don't see him featuring in the 17 next year tho (RFM and Toomaga coming good).

5/10 - mainly opportunistic signings and one of our big signings didn't meet his price tag on the field. a couple good depth signings (if we can keep them for 2021). CHN coming good and DWZ mid season signing saved these ratings.

Last edited:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
There's no context to your ratings system/recommendations.

My ratings are weighted by giving consideration to age, salary and potential. Meaney and Cogger were undoubtedly impressive and in my opinion will develop into very very good first graders. This combined with the fact they were low-cost buys, adds weight to their overall rating. If they were both say - 28 years old and on 500k+, then fair enough give them a 6/10. Context, my friend.

Hopefully this clears this up for you.
It doesn’t clear up how you got 8/10 by your own numbers it worked out at 7/10.

I again am not giving recruitment points on what they could become. Potential works both ways. Could go on, could turn out to be nothing but reserve grade players.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s all pretty fair but I’d give Napa one or two of Cogger’s points. CHN was great once he fixed up his poor defence in reserve grade
Agree. Cogger is a decent Reserve grade at this stage and I think "may" improve. I honestly think there's a fair bit of improvement left in in to be anywhere near an 8/10. Wouldn't be in the conversation in nearly every other team, we are just in an unfortunate situation with inexperienced halves.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

GAINS

Corey Harawira-Naera:
8/10

Had the Kennel in a spin during the pre-season as Mr I uploaded countless shirtless pics, and close ups of his biceps and quads. Exposed early with some defensive lapses combined with giving away a bit of height to taller opponents. His strengths are with ball in hand, particularly starting sets. Didn't offer enough to hold down a starting wing spot and his season was somewhat marred by injury.

not bad. Deff gave DWZ and CHN correct ratings..!!

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
DWZ easily our best recruit 9/10 or more

CHN second best 8/10

Napa Average 5/10 at best

Cogger & Meaney no more than 6/10.. both young and still developing.. both have potential & still need improving..

Sue & Crighton not more than 4.5/10 max

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
DWZ- 10
Looked dangerous from his first game with us. Has pace, size and the smarts to insert himself into the game well.

Meaney- 7
His attack during the early season wasn't that great. He got dominated in the middle. But his kick reception is great, positions himself well and has no hesitation in competing for the high ball. I think his transition to the wing helped his attacking confidence. He gets a solid rating of 7 for the way he finished the season.

Chrighton- 5
He didn't show that much in attack and his defence wasn't outstanding. But given that our defensive efforts on that wing were a shambles with a number of combinations it's difficult to blame him alone. I honestly think he's been passed by Okunbor and Meaney in the pecking order.

CHN- 7.5
He finished the season well. But took time to inject himself in the game.

Sue- 6.5
I didn't rate him at all early on. He seemed like a penalty machine with butter fingers. But he improved as the season went on.

Cogger- 7.5
He's got all the ingredients to be a classy halfback. Plenty of people are forgetting the lack of a kicking game in our halves for the last few years. Cogger isn't as polished in this area as the best 7's. But I don't recall seeing a year where we got as many repeat sets off kicks as this year in a long time. The other thing about Cogger that stands out is that he can play with some deception. He's not lightning quick, but he's able to sell a dummy and scored a few good tries off it. I think he's going to feature in our halves long term.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
DWZ- 10
Looked dangerous from his first game with us. Has pace, size and the smarts to insert himself into the game well.

Meaney- 7
His attack during the early season wasn't that great. He got dominated in the middle. But his kick reception is great, positions himself well and has no hesitation in competing for the high ball. I think his transition to the wing helped his attacking confidence. He gets a solid rating of 7 for the way he finished the season.

Chrighton- 5
He didn't show that much in attack and his defence wasn't outstanding. But given that our defensive efforts on that wing were a shambles with a number of combinations it's difficult to blame him alone. I honestly think he's been passed by Okunbor and Meaney in the pecking order.

CHN- 7.5
He finished the season well. But took time to inject himself in the game.

Sue- 6.5
I didn't rate him at all early on. He seemed like a penalty machine with butter fingers. But he improved as the season went on.

Cogger- 7.5
He's got all the ingredients to be a classy halfback. Plenty of people are forgetting the lack of a kicking game in our halves for the last few years. Cogger isn't as polished in this area as the best 7's. But I don't recall seeing a year where we got as many repeat sets off kicks as this year in a long time. The other thing about Cogger that stands out is that he can play with some deception. He's not lightning quick, but he's able to sell a dummy and scored a few good tries off it. I think he's going to feature in our halves long term.
How can you give Crichton a pass mark :tonguewink:. Sue was barely involved (especially not during the good part of the season for us) and is probably not going to feature much next year.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How can you give Crichton a pass mark :tonguewink:. Sue was barely involved (especially not during the good part of the season for us) and is probably not going to feature much next year.
Chrighton didn't seem to lack any effort. He seemed like one of the players that was putting in everything which goes a long way in getting respect from me. He wasn't terrible, just got overpowered a bit. I think Sue was probably a bargain buy to add some experience and a bit of mongrel.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Chrighton didn't seem to lack any effort. He seemed like one of the players that was putting in everything which goes a long way in getting respect from me. He wasn't terrible, just got overpowered a bit. I think Sue was probably a bargain buy to add some experience and a bit of mongrel.
Yeah I agree with all that besides Crichton not being terrible.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think meaney is being under rated. Don't forget this was only his 2nd season with somewhat regular 1st grade games and he was shifted to the wing where he found his confidence

I think there's definitely potential to say one wing is solved long term

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think meaney is being under rated. Don't forget this was only his 2nd season with somewhat regular 1st grade games and he was shifted to the wing where he found his confidence

I think there's definitely potential to say one wing is solved long term
I think he's got it in him to be a fantastic fullnack, will take time and help from a specialist 1... But the kid is safe as and doesn't shy away from anything. Just needs abit more mass and a passing game