Official 2019 Position Breakdown: Front row

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2018/12/18/2019-position-breakdown---front-row/

Over the course of the pre-season bulldogs.com.au will analyse each position in the Bulldogs top 30 squad, along with the options Dean Pay has in 2019.

Today week we take a look at the prop forwards.

Aiden Tolman:

Tolman heads into his ninth season with the Bulldogs in 2019 and has been a warrior in terms of his consistency throughout his time at Belmore.

A leader on and off the field who leads by example, the prop forward finished the 2018 season with 513 tackles, 1853 running metres, 707 post contact metres and a 93.1% tackle efficiency rate from 16 appearances.

Dylan Napa:

The 26-year old Queensland representative prop has joined the Bulldogs on a three-year deal.

The talented and hard running forward, who actually made his NRL debut against the Bulldogs back in 2013, made 122 appearances for the Roosters in his six seasons at the club, including being part of last season's Premiership winning side.

Napa made 20 appearances in 2018, averaging 76.2 running metres and 21 tackles per game, 13 tackle breaks, five offloads and has represented the Maroons on five occasions over the past two seasons.

Sauaso Sue:

The versatile 26-year old joins the club for the next two seasons from the Wests Tigers and the forward will add some valuable experience to the Bulldogs pack for 2019.

Sue debuted for the Wests Tigers in 2013 and played 116 NRL matches in his time at the club. He is a Samoan international who has spent time at prop forward, lock and second row.

He made 15 appearances in 2018, averaging 96.3 running metres per match with a 91% tackle efficiency rating, as well as 19 tackle breaks and 596.2 post contact metres for the season.

Danny Fualalo:

Fualalo made 20 appearances for the club in 2018, averaging 94.5 running metres and 20 tackles per game, as well as 705.1 post contact metres and a tackle efficiency rate of 90.7% for the year.

The hard-running forward, who has represented both the NSW Under 18's and NSW Residents sides, came through the Bulldogs system, starting with the SG Ball team, before making his NRL debut against the Manly Sea Eagles in 2015.

The 24-year old averaged 43 minutes per game last year and has played 58 NRL games for the club over the past four seasons.

Ofahiki Ogden:

Ogden recently re-signed with the club for a further two years, keeping him at Belmore until the end of the 2021 season.

The former Kiwi Junior who represented New Zealand at U16 and U18 level, was a major part of the Bulldogs winning Intrust Super Premiership side from last year, which culminated in selection for the Intrust Super NSW Residents side.

The talented 22-year old made his NRL debut for the Bulldogs last season against the Knights in Round 16 and ended up making nine appearances, which included a first-ever try against the Dragons in Round 24.

He averaged 64.6 running metres and 14 tackles from his nine appearances, as well as 10 tackle breaks.
Ogden played 17 games for the club's ISP team, averaging 122.1 running metres and 25 tackles per game, 28 tackle breaks and 741 post contact metres for the season.

Renouf To'omaga:

To'omaga is in the second year of a three-year deal after have re-signing with the club at the end of the 2017 season, keeping him at Belmore until the end of 2020.

The 23-year old forward from New Zealand, represented the Junior Kiwis in 2015 and made his NRL debut against the Parramatta Eels in round 10 of the 2018 season.

He finished the season with four NRL games to his name and was a member of the club's successful Intrust Super Premiership which claimed the ISP title and the National State Championship.

From his 16 ISP games, To'omaga averaged 130.2 running metres and 23 tackles per game, 21 offloads, 71 tackle breaks, nine tries and line breaks, as well as 856 post contact metres for the season.

Francis Tualau:

Tualau enters his third season with the club after arriving at Belmore from the Melbourne Storm at the end of 2016.

A strong running prop forward who played two NRL games in 2018 and was also a member of the club's successful Intrust Super Premiership which claimed the ISP title and the National State Championship.

The 24-year old played 23 games with the ISP side, averaging 87.3 running metres per game, 33 tackle breaks, three tries and 684 post contact metres for the season.

Zac Saddler:

Saddler is yet to play NRL, but the rookie from the Riverina who started his career with the Cooma Stallions as an 8-year old, relocated to the Group 20 competition where he attended the prestigious Yanco Agricultural College to complete his schooling.

A graduate of the club's High Performance Youth Program, he has had a tough run with injury in recent seasons.

The 19-year old was a member of the club's Jersey Flegg side in 2018 and is currently signed to the club until the end of this season.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Certainly got some depth there. Would love Renouf to get some more games.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The year is make or break for Fualalo for mine he’s had more then enough time to establish himself as a NRL prop and he hasn’t really inproved since his debut. If it’s more of the same this year I wouldn’t re-sign him.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The year is make or break for Fualalo for mine he’s had more then enough time to establish himself as a NRL prop and he hasn’t really inproved since his debut. If it’s more of the same this year I wouldn’t re-sign him.
Couldn't agree more... he did some good things this year... but a few good things once a blue moon won't cement a first grade position, especially with the depth we have now

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'm going to make a few predictions:
1. Sue and Napa will lift this year and take much needed pressure off Tolman.
2. Ogden will be a suprise this year and lift.
3. Saddler if he cops another injury this year may be released.

Fualalo, Tualau and To'omaga really need to lift this year.

slydog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
100% agree with you but in saying that he's stats do surprise me

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
No Marshall-King??? He's been named for every other spot.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wish them the best but this has got to be one of the worst Prop rotations ive seen at our club in ages..

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

You seen photos of Fualalo? fuck he's a machine.... Hoping for his sakes and as a supporter that this is his year. Appears all the players are working real hard and buying.... Good signs all round

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need bye one more prop and Jackson to move to the middle.
ATM we are one injury away from having to play a nuff nuff! Tualau and Saddler are not NRL quality.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Renouf t off the bench could make up for klems go forward he has awesome leg dtive as well as an offload

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Renouf t off the bench could make up for klems go forward he has awesome leg dtive as well as an offload
I am a big fan of Renouf, recall him playing centre as an 18 in the U20's

That said, he needs to up his game from from last years NRL performances if he is going to be a genuine help this year.
Ogden is ahead of him, but in the same boat in terms of needing to improve to be at true NRL standard.

Even if they both improve, we still need to bye one more prop and Jacko to the middle.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

1 Sue needs to improve his defensive work rate & ball security.
2 Saddler is a work in progress & future proposition-remember he’s only 20 won’t be released
3 make or break seasons for Fualalo & Tualau- Toomaga will keep improving week by week & should be our impact forward

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I didn't watch sfa of the roosters last season, was napa getting much game time? An average of 76 running meters is piss poor unless he got sfa time on the field.

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I didn't watch sfa of the roosters last season, was napa getting much game time? An average of 76 running meters is piss poor unless he got sfa time on the field.
He was relegated to the bench at some stage and definitely had a decrease in minutes. In saying that, he isn’t the biggest metre eater and we’re going to need our outside backs to lift when it comes to carting the ball out of our end.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He didn't have to, the Chooks had plenty sharing the load around, no need for one person to carry the team, why give it to Nappa every set (like we did with Klemmer) when there's Tedesco, Waerear- Hargreaves, Cordner, Tupou, Manu etc to take the ball up.

Go Dogs

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
His runs are average as fuck, bloke was literally stopping at the defence last season and was relegated to the Roosters 4th string prop.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Tedesco, Ferguson & Tupou making 30+ Metres from kick returns, throw in tackle busting centres Manu & Mitchell;JWH playing 65minutes + pm average, Napa didn’t have to make huge metres & defensively work rate was shared across the park, what he did bring was stinging defence.