2018 NSWRL Intrust Super Cup Discussion Thread (Season Ended) PREMIERS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Fine is a big loss for us next week :(

If I'm not busy next weekend I might head out there ... I've done it before and you get a massive day of footy because it's all grades (from memory) except NRL.

Interesting to note the 3 sides that are still in (Panthers, Dragons and Jets (Sharks feeder)) are all playing next weekend too. Whoever loses out of Panthers/Sharks though will stack their reserve grade side (as they play Friday).

Dragons play Sat at 7PM, so they will not risk any fringe first grade players at all. They are ripe for the kill.

Both games we only lost to them by a point (and one was because Wakhem / Cleeland choked).

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lot of quality players in the ISP. However they just cant seem to get it together with any rhythm.
I still say they are in desperate need of a quality coach.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lot of quality players in the ISP. However they just cant seem to get it together with any rhythm.
I still say they are in desperate need of a quality coach.
Georgallis isn’t a bad coach it’s really difficult to get any rhythm in ISP because there’s never the same team on the field each week.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Georgallis is a fine coach, they've just had a very disrupted season with injuries/promotions to first grade.

Preliminary Finals, Week Three @ Leichardt Oval
Sat 15 September 1:10PM - Panthers vs Jets - (Channel 9 / Streamed via 9now.com.au)
Sat 15 September 5PM - Dragons vs Bulldogs - (FOX League)

Panthers and Sharks (NRL sides) play on Friday 15th at Allianz, Dragons and Rabbitohs (NRL sides) play on Saturday 15th at ANZ at 7:40PM.

You'd think that Dragons will be cautious and hold back plaers given their injuries this game. Players won't drop back but rather be held in reserve, so I'd imagine possibly no Reubenn Garrick or Jai Field playing in NSW Cup, plus at least one forward out.

Round 10 - Dragons 21 vs Dogs 20
Dogs has Lewis at centre, Smith on wing, Brown and Cleeland in halves, Lichaa at hooker, Priest at prop, and Woolford returning for first game. Dogs scored through Bergamin, Smith, and Burr.
Dragons had Jordan Pereira, Jai Field, and Luciano Leilua playing. Dragons scored through Pereira (twice), and Garrick.

Round 21 - Dragons 15 vs Dogs 14
Dogs had Bergamin at fullback, Carr on the wing, Wakeham in halves with Cleeland, Tualau at prop, Miller and Jesse Martin on the bench, Garlick starting. Dogs scored through Fine and Burr.
Dragons had Lomax at centre. They scored via Lomax and Garrick.

I think the Dragons side will largely resemble the Round 21 clash (which we lost because of indecision in the dieing minutes by Cleeland and Wakeham - should have kicked a field goal).

If we name a side similar to Round 10, we should have a good chance at this one.

We've definitely lost Fine...
Not sure why Carr wasn't named.

Still not confident with Cerruto at fullback... he doesn't get involved enough, whereas Bergamin injects himself in attack more I find.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Georgallis isn’t a bad coach it’s really difficult to get any rhythm in ISP because there’s never the same team on the field each week.
He doesn't like Georgallis and complains about him every week lol. If he's happy with what Pay has done then logic tells you he should be happy with what Georgallis has done, but naaa, apparently not.

Reserve grade footy is a balancing act, you need to make sure the players get the development they need while also trying to win games of footy. You might be playing certain players out of position, you could be pushing certain forwards to get through some extra minutes, you could be asking players to focus on certain things, etc. We have also had to deal with constant team changes like you mentioned, spine also being shuffled around consistently.

Anyway this season has definitely been a success at reserve grade level no matter if we lose or win from here imo. We have had 3 players in Lewis, Martin and Smith lock down starting positions in our NRL side. Ogden has also made the step up and showed enough off the bench. To'omaga while not handling the step up has made massive improvements to his game this season and is definitely an option moving forward. Burr is another that has improved out of sight.. you can even throw in Okunbor who has showed some positive signs and that he could potentially be an option on the wing moving forward if he continues to clean up areas of his game. You really couldn't ask for much more out of your reserve grade side than that.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Went to the game yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed the day with a lot of great Dogs supporters.We were well represented and I am pretty certain that that made the boys feel a bit more comfortable about things.

We were loud and engaged in the game and I for one was extremely proud of wearing my jersey to show that they are the club I support. Some of the first grade blokes were there but kept a low profile and I must say that even Josh Reynolds was there to watch the boys go around. Board member there but did not see Deano although he could have been up in one of the boxes or upper tier of the grandstand.

Nobody made any scummy comments and no one gave any of the players mentioned in the press any grief. In fact, it sort of confirmed the fact that fans from all clubs are not putting the Telegraph on their Christmas club list this year or probably ever. Fine was given a generous round of applause when he unfortunately left the field on a stretcher and some of the loudest cheers were for the Beast who I thought had a pretty solid game.

Wyong would not go away but in the end we wore them down and rightfully came out on top and advanced to the next round of the finals. Shall be going to that one too and the GF if we make it.

We stayed right until all the players left the field. I love the fact that we could stand directly beside the player race and shake hands and exchange words with the guys as they left the field.

I get the impression that their is some unfinished business and in my heart and mind I believe that what happened a week ago will galvanize the playing roster and bring them closer together. They will be burning.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Georgallis is a fine coach, they've just had a very disrupted season with injuries/promotions to first grade.

Preliminary Finals, Week Three @ Leichardt Oval
Sat 15 September 1:10PM - Panthers vs Jets - (Channel 9 / Streamed via 9now.com.au)
Sat 15 September 5PM - Dragons vs Bulldogs - (FOX League)

Panthers and Sharks (NRL sides) play on Friday 15th at Allianz, Dragons and Rabbitohs (NRL sides) play on Saturday 15th at ANZ at 7:40PM.

You'd think that Dragons will be cautious and hold back plaers given their injuries this game. Players won't drop back but rather be held in reserve, so I'd imagine possibly no Reubenn Garrick or Jai Field playing in NSW Cup, plus at least one forward out.

Round 10 - Dragons 21 vs Dogs 20
Dogs has Lewis at centre, Smith on wing, Brown and Cleeland in halves, Lichaa at hooker, Priest at prop, and Woolford returning for first game. Dogs scored through Bergamin, Smith, and Burr.
Dragons had Jordan Pereira, Jai Field, and Luciano Leilua playing. Dragons scored through Pereira (twice), and Garrick.

Round 21 - Dragons 15 vs Dogs 14
Dogs had Bergamin at fullback, Carr on the wing, Wakeham in halves with Cleeland, Tualau at prop, Miller and Jesse Martin on the bench, Garlick starting. Dogs scored through Fine and Burr.
Dragons had Lomax at centre. They scored via Lomax and Garrick.

I think the Dragons side will largely resemble the Round 21 clash (which we lost because of indecision in the dieing minutes by Cleeland and Wakeham - should have kicked a field goal).

If we name a side similar to Round 10, we should have a good chance at this one.

We've definitely lost Fine...
Not sure why Carr wasn't named.

Still not confident with Cerruto at fullback... he doesn't get involved enough, whereas Bergamin injects himself in attack more I find.
The Carr one was quite odd. With Okunbor named at 19 it was always going to be him in if a back dropped out. Jayden actually arrived a bit after the other guys in Intrust so it seemed to me that maybe the drop out was a late last minute thing.

Cerruto can be a damaging runner and he is pretty fancy on his feet at times so unless something untoward happens he will probably be selected there again next week. Nasty injury to Fine we could not get a good look at what happened and of course no replay at the ground. Have not seen the Fox replay yet will do that tomorrow.

Now this was an NRL ground that was being used and all they had was a stretcher that was far too short for Fine to lie flat on so they had his knees up..looked mighty uncomfortable. He was in a bad way, no neck brace used but it looked as if his neck and head got put in a weird position.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whats going on with ISP Cup?
Who do we have next week?
Looking pretty strong on Sunday against Wyong.
Hope they can send off Beastwood a winner, can we win this comp?
Frawley found a kicking game, that is all.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He doesn't like Georgallis and complains about him every week lol. If he's happy with what Pay has done then logic tells you he should be happy with what Georgallis has done, but naaa, apparently not.

Reserve grade footy is a balancing act, you need to make sure the players get the development they need while also trying to win games of footy. You might be playing certain players out of position, you could be pushing certain forwards to get through some extra minutes, you could be asking players to focus on certain things, etc. We have also had to deal with constant team changes like you mentioned, spine also being shuffled around consistently.

Anyway this season has definitely been a success at reserve grade level no matter if we lose or win from here imo. We have had 3 players in Lewis, Martin and Smith lock down starting positions in our NRL side. Ogden has also made the step up and showed enough off the bench. To'omaga while not handling the step up has made massive improvements to his game this season and is definitely an option moving forward. Burr is another that has improved out of sight.. you can even throw in Okunbor who has showed some positive signs and that he could potentially be an option on the wing moving forward if he continues to clean up areas of his game. You really couldn't ask for much more out of your reserve grade side than that.
I’d also add that Harper has handled the step up to NSW Cup well. Sometimes Flegg/NYC players struggle to play against full grown men.
Even though Woolford struggled a bit here, he has shown his potential as a player to further develop and has played 80 mins a few times.
If NSW Cup can provide 3 NRL quality players every year we’ll be in a good space both depth wise and salary cap wise too.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frawley found a kicking game but still hasn’t learnt to read the play in defence! I hope Lewis and smith get to play next round

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No lomax for saints which should help us a lot..

Longtimedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Whats going on with ISP Cup?
Who do we have next week?
Looking pretty strong on Sunday against Wyong.
Hope they can send off Beastwood a winner, can we win this comp?
Frawley found a kicking game, that is all.
His kicking game was terrible overall especially the first half

Malla

Reaction score
Yeah Frawley is terrible. It should be so easy for him to create plays in ISP but the bloke just looks like he’s going through the motions - 3 settlers, half a backline movement then a kick. Would have thought that playing 20+ games in first grade he would have developed some sort of playmaking ability

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Brown and Cleeland have to control the game because Frawley is fucking useless, even in ISP.

TBH I wouldn't even put Woolford on the bench.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
With the way our forwards layed the platform we should hsve scored 60 on them, but Frawley was useless as tits on a bull.
Thank Fuck Cleeland took things into his own hands and scored a try and set up another one at crucial times.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
With the way our forwards layed the platform we should hsve scored 60 on them, but Frawley was useless as tits on a bull.
Thank Fuck Cleeland took things into his own hands and scored a try and set up another one at crucial times.
Ive been critical of Cleeland all year but he did step up on Sunday, especially when Frawley tried his best for us to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.