2017 Jnr Summer squads Announced

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The Bulldogs Rugby League Club wishes to announce its 2017 Harold Matthews Cup & SG Ball Cup Summer Training Squads.

The squad will get together for the first time on in October for an information night with training to commence on Tuesday November 2nd.

Please note the squads are not final and further players may be added.

The Bulldogs would like to thank all those who trialled, particularly those from within the Bulldogs Junior League.

The quality of talent within our Junior League made it extremely difficult to finalise the Summer Squads.

Deciding on the final 25 man squads next February will be very difficult.

Please confirm with Paul Arraj on 0412 331 151 or arrajp@bulldogs.com.au if you will be attending the information night.

Further information if required can be obtained by contacting Jim Whitney on 0438 709 585

Harold Matthews Cup Summer Squad

Harold Matthews Cup Information Night

Canterbury League Club

Monday October 17th, 2016

Start 7:00pm

Players to bring one parent or carer to the information night

1. Andrew Hadchiti
  2. Aufunga Autagavaia
  3. Billy Hamawi
  4. Bradley Michael
  5. Brandon Pelo
  6. Chanse Te Hira
  7. Chris Partolo
  8. Cooper Talau
  9. Danny Ghantous
  10. Darren Paese
  11. David Tui
  12. Destiny Nuuasoa
  13. Eric Emile
  14. Gian Mario Serratore
  15. Hussein Yaghi
  16. Issam Merhi
  17. James Kioa
  18. Jazzaah Schaafhausen
  19. Jon Moli
  20. Josh Taylor Myles
  21. Keegan Danielson
  22. Keenan Abbey
  23. Kelvin Euta
  24. Kurt Picken
  25. Lachlan Jordan
  26. Lafogo Malalo
  27. Lipoi Hopoi
  28. Mackenzie Mackenzie
  29. Manoa Veikaso
  30. Matt Borg
  31. Mosese Pope
  32. Nasser Dib
  33. Nathan Tesina
  34. Steven Tuáasa
  35. Thanh Phatluu
  36. Tiota Fua
  37. Tristan Farquhar
  38. Tyrone Simitsopolous
  39. Vakata Leaeota
  40. Will Saunders
  41. Wraven Grey
SG Ball Cup Summer Squad

SG Ball Cup Information Night

Canterbury League Club

Tuesday October 18th, 2016

Start 7:00pm

Players to bring one parent or carer to the information night

1. Adam Hamawi
  2. Alex Potifara
  3. Ali Saad
  4. Amosa Manu
  5. Ben Sapati
  6. Brandon Wakeham
  7. Daymon Abbey
  8. Dorian Yarak
  9. Evander Swann
  10. Fono Ahsam
  11. Harrison Teritaiti
  12. Hugo Traino
  13. Jack Ryan
  14. Jacob Winterstein
  15. Jake Averillo
  16. John Ryan
  17. Jonathon Langi
  18. Jordan Main
  19. Josh Wilkinson
  20. Kili Mauva
  21. Koli Saukuru
  22. Lachlan Talau
  23. Logen Dillon
  24. Maurice Salei
  25. Michael Fahd
  26. Mosese Afemui
  27. Owen Moefili
  28. Pesamino Pasina
  29. Pule Sua
  30. Ryan Gray
  31. Soane Matavesi
  32. Sosaia Talivakaola
  33. Terence Toomata
  34. Thomas Anderson
  35. Thomas Ratu
  36. Tommy Talau
  37. Tui Katoa
  38. Zac Hetherington
  39. Zac Saddler

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing Brad Abbey has 2 younger brothers in our lower grades?
I hope Zac Hetherington lives up to the name.

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
HM
Chris Patolo? - NSWCCC '16
Gian Mario Serratore - Dogs HM '16
Jazzaah Schaafhausen - SWSAS HM '16
Jon Moli - Dogs HM '16
Kurt Picken - NSWCHS '16 [Aggressive player, one to watch]
Manoa Veikaso - SWSAS HM '16
Mosese Pope - NSWCHS '16, Dogs HM '16 [Big unit]
Will Saunders - NSWCHS '16, Magpies HM '16 [Quick]

SG Ball
Josh Wilkinson - CQ Capras MM [Fullback, try scorer]
Zac Hetherington - CQ Capras MM [Halfback]

Last edited:

Wally Doggies

New Pup
Reaction score
Aufaga Autagavaia, Tyrone Simitsopoulos both guns, still a year young, will make the final 25 and play two years of Matts unless other clubs poach them.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm guessing Brad Abbey has 2 younger brothers in our lower grades?
I hope Zac Hetherington lives up to the name.
So do I. From all accounts both him and his twin brother are very good players. His father an absolute legend and what a real hooker should be in the game of rugby league.

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fuck me not many Anglo saxon type names.

Maybe thats half the clubs problem to many islanders... they may be big and strong but can they play footy !!!!

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck me not many Anglo saxon type names.

Maybe thats half the clubs problem to many islanders... they may be big and strong but can they play footy !!!!
I don't care about their background as long as they can play. Apparently we have a very good junior comp so I don't know why this isn't translating to our junior bulldogs.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Watched the schoolboy competition on Fox today and three of our youngsters were playing for Westfield Sports: Brandon Wakeham goal kicking five eighth with big wraps on him, Jacob Winterstein and Jake Averillo. All look good prospects.

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Zac Saddler playing for La Perouse U17. Game is on NITV right now.

Sorry didn't update this earlier. Saddler had some strong runs, 2 trys, good footwork at the line, and can also kick.

Last edited:

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I know that this does not relate to our 2017 squads but it does relate to our recruitment and retention. Was Whitney on the right track with this? The article itself is two years old and a few of the boys dealt with in this way are still with us. How many of the kids in our 2017 squad have been flow through from this plan? Whitney was recently shown the door by the club and is no longer our club development manager.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...l/news-story/ba313740cef2aa0bc277bf600173c7d6
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs devise plan to assist juniors through to the NRL as they come through Harold Matthews and SG Ball

Chris Georgakopoulos, Canterbury-Bankstown Express
February 10, 2015 12:00am

JUNIOR rugby league players in the Canterbury-Bankstown area have a greater chance to break into the NRL after a decision by the Bulldogs.

Club development manager Jim Whitney told The Express the Bulldogs’ Harold Matthews (under-16s) representative side will be made up of local rugby league players from this year.

“I’ve made the decision that with the Harold Matthews we will be looking at selecting a squad of locals and if not all a majority of locals,” Whitney said
“We are confident with that decision as it will be a good indication of our strength as a district.

“There will be good years and others may not be as good but it is also about recognising our juniors who have come through our ranks playing locally.”

The Harold Matthews and SG Ball (under-18) sides begin their seasons this Saturday, hosting the Newcastle Knights at Belmore Sport Ground.

Whitney is pleased with their pre-season form and is quietly confident of a successful season.

The Harold Matthews side have been training well and had a strong hit-out against Parramatta who by all accounts are the team to beat,” he said.
“Last year we had a lot of injuries so we have added a bit more depth to the team.”

The Harold Matthews game kicks off at noon, with SG Ball following at 1.30pm.

ItalianGreyhound

Waterboy
Reaction score
I know that this does not relate to our 2017 squads but it does relate to our recruitment and retention. Was Whitney on the right track with this? The article itself is two years old and a few of the boys dealt with in this way are still with us. How many of the kids in our 2017 squad have been flow through from this plan? Whitney was recently shown the door by the club and is no longer our club development manager.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...l/news-story/ba313740cef2aa0bc277bf600173c7d6
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs devise plan to assist juniors through to the NRL as they come through Harold Matthews and SG Ball

Chris Georgakopoulos, Canterbury-Bankstown Express
February 10, 2015 12:00am

JUNIOR rugby league players in the Canterbury-Bankstown area have a greater chance to break into the NRL after a decision by the Bulldogs.

Club development manager Jim Whitney told The Express the Bulldogs’ Harold Matthews (under-16s) representative side will be made up of local rugby league players from this year.

“I’ve made the decision that with the Harold Matthews we will be looking at selecting a squad of locals and if not all a majority of locals,” Whitney said
“We are confident with that decision as it will be a good indication of our strength as a district.

“There will be good years and others may not be as good but it is also about recognising our juniors who have come through our ranks playing locally.”

The Harold Matthews and SG Ball (under-18) sides begin their seasons this Saturday, hosting the Newcastle Knights at Belmore Sport Ground.

Whitney is pleased with their pre-season form and is quietly confident of a successful season.

The Harold Matthews side have been training well and had a strong hit-out against Parramatta who by all accounts are the team to beat,” he said.
“Last year we had a lot of injuries so we have added a bit more depth to the team.”

The Harold Matthews game kicks off at noon, with SG Ball following at 1.30pm.
Personally I'm sad to see Jim Whitney go. I believe he did his job very well. You always see him at junior footy games and rep trials checking what's on offer. He coached sg ball to some gf's a few years back and knows the game. He's a straight talker with no bs. Kids are brought in from country nsw, nz, qld etc to complement the local talent in these rep teams so it wasn't exclusive to just local juniors.

Steve Wilson

Waterboy
Reaction score
Next door neighbour told me one of our juniors Logen Dillon is playing in under 20's national oztag titles this week in coffs harbour, good achievment for a 15 year old. Good Luck young man, lets hope the flare and ability with the ball that he has, he can show for us in years to come.

Steve Wilson

Waterboy
Reaction score
Good to see the younger boy's have a run with the first grade, and good to see some local kids getting a go. Jake Averillo (pictured next too dymock holding the ball)-Bankstown sports, Tommy Talau - Moorebank rams, Thomas Ratu - St johns lakemba and the pale kid is Logen Dillon - Bankstown sports. Not sure who the others are.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there's a NYC trial against the Sharks on Friday night at Chester Hill.

Steve Wilson

Waterboy
Reaction score
Good to see some of our juniors go around on Friday night (under 20's), and Harold Matts and SG Ball on Saturday. We won't have have to worry about the fullback position in years to come, Kurt Picken went very well in Harold Matts and Logen Dillon saved about 4 or 5 tries in Sg Ball Trial. Actually most of the younger guy's who got a run in the SG BALL trial went well, Talau, Toomata, Fahd, Dillon, Averillo probably only Ryan Gray was a bit outclassed at dummy half but he will only get bigger and stronger.One thing i will say though, we are very lazy around the ruck in defence, id say our lack of fitness let us down on occasions. If anyone saw the 20's game on Friday night can you give us a run down on how we went, i only got there with 10 mins to go due to work, an update would be good.

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Thanks for that mate , do you know if Brendan Wakeham is still at the club ?

Steve Wilson

Waterboy
Reaction score
Yeah he played the last quarter of the sg ball trial, along with a fullback who has been training with 20's and hetherington who has been training with 20's.
To be honest the 3 of them didn't do anything special, we were beaten in the last quarter pretty easily by parra. We won the 2 quarters prior when both sides played there younger kids.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
that is exactly the point, they are physically bigger and stronger at that young age, but the white boys catch up and out play them
I think its just easy for the bigger kids to rely on their size and physical development which is great. But a lot of them neglect skills that they need. You would see plenty of the less physically gifted kids train like crazy to compete. If they stick with it for long enough they will often become much better footballers.