2014 World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I kinda hope Argentina wins the WC so the stupid "Messi isn't one of the greats because he hasn't won a world cup" crap dies.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i hope argentina dont win it so that people can continue to say messi isnt a great :p

col of birchmen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Ange has left Luke Wilkshire out of the squad entirely. Australia's defense just got weaker if thats possible. Matthew Špiranović is now the most capped defender in the squad, in other words we are utterly screwed. I guess its only a question of how much we loose by anyway. Tbh our nation is not worthy to be in the world cup especially when you see the some of the countries that missed out.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would have done the same. Wilshire is not 100% .Even in the friendly with Sth Africa when he came on as a sub and was putting his jersey on he looked unfit ( small gut?)
Kennedy is also not 100% fit.
The Socceroos will struggle in this WC no doubt but that is not the coach's fault. His predecessor did not blood any new players in what was n ageing squad.
Postecoglou is rebuilding now when it should have started happening 2 years ago under Osieck.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
So Ange has left Luke Wilkshire out of the squad entirely. Australia's defense just got weaker if thats possible. Matthew Špiranović is now the most capped defender in the squad, in other words we are utterly screwed. I guess its only a question of how much we loose by anyway. Tbh our nation is not worthy to be in the world cup especially when you see the some of the countries that missed out.
I believe Australia is the lowest ranked side in the tournament, think that says it all really

The chances of Australia progressing through the group stage is like the odds of the Sharks winning the Premiership - ain't going to happen

To be fair, even a full strength Australian squad wouldn't have much chance of upsetting Spain, Netherlands and Chile so I can see the reason behind giving the youngsters a taste of what it's like to play in the World Cup to prepare them for the future

You only have to look at the '06 World Cup where Japan finished last in their group and fast forward to today, they're pretty much the best side in our Asia Confederation

They went through a rebuilding phase, worked towards the future and now they're reaping the rewards so I hope Australia follows the same path

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
australia deserve to be in the world cup, they could progress to the 2nd round if they got one of the easier groups

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Australia could probably get away with having Zlatan Ibrahimović in the side if you slapped a wig on him to make him look like Josh Kennedy

Both are around about the same height, only problem is disguising his big nose

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I believe Australia is the lowest ranked side in the tournament, think that says it all really

The chances of Australia progressing through the group stage is like the odds of the Sharks winning the Premiership - ain't going to happen

To be fair, even a full strength Australian squad wouldn't have much chance of upsetting Spain, Netherlands and Chile so I can see the reason behind giving the youngsters a taste of what it's like to play in the World Cup to prepare them for the future

You only have to look at the '06 World Cup where Japan finished last in their group and fast forward to today, they're pretty much the best side in our Asia Confederation

They went through a rebuilding phase, worked towards the future and now they're reaping the rewards so I hope Australia follows the same path
Sad but true!

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I see Chile more dangerous than Netherlands, TBH. As someone else mentioned in this thread, Netherlands can win the WC or bomb out after 2 games.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I see Chile more dangerous than Netherlands, TBH. As someone else mentioned in this thread, Netherlands can win the WC or bomb out after 2 games.
Exactly, there are warriors type team flog the best then lose to the worst!!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
tbh i thought holland were the team to never win the world cup after coming close

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
I love the Oranje...hope they go well...RVP!!! haha...rather Holland win than spain...ive had enough of seeing them win

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I love the Oranje...hope they go well...RVP!!! haha...rather Holland win than spain...ive had enough of seeing them win
Spain are definitely on the decline. They're not a bad team but they're definitely not as good as they used to be.

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a surprising article of possible flops at this WC and Spain and Holland are in the list due to pressure on them to succeed as well as going off previous international friendlies form - If there was ever a group that coud throw up a mix bag it would be ours- I hope the Socerroos get a win over the fancied chilean side who are more counter attacking than defensive and hope for results to go our way - A draw between Holland and Spain would make it abit easier -

I still wonder what moment caused our last WC failure- And I think losing that big game against Germany cost us big time and not capitalising against Ghana -
The great thing about the WC is any team can win on their day -
i think back when Senegal beat France 1-0 at the 1998 WC and then beat Sweden in a thrilling match in the round of 16.

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Northern ireland kept Chile scoreless for 80mins untill Vidal and others came on and they luckily escaped 2-1. We may have a shot!

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Australia could probably get away with having Zlatan Ibrahimović in the side if you slapped a wig on him to make him look like Josh Kennedy

Both are around about the same height, only problem is disguising his big nose
lol what exactly would the wig do they have the same hair style :p

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Franck Ribery officially ruled out of the World Cup and Marco Reus is set to join him on the sidelines after suffering ligament damage

So many talented players missing out before a single match has even started

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
australia 0-0 vs croatia halftime in the final warm up

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Really good performance by our boys. If we play like and not win or draw a game we can hold our heads high heading into the Asian Cup

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surprised no scandanavian teams made the world cup- Would like to see Ibrahamovic play at this level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.