20 years today since classic prelim final v eels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you believe its been 20 years. Still one of the best days if my life.
Yeah I can, was the day after my wedding day. We all went down the pub n watched it drinking <insert colour here> jugs. Just took it in turns of picking a colour and getting jugs of whatever.

One of the best days indeed.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Definately one of the top 10 days of my life.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Was a good one alright..!! have to agree with each and everyone of you here.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Game was delayed on free tv so listened to it on the radio, thought I was listening to another game when the dogs made the comeback it was so hard to believe.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was there at the game, would have been 16and still remember it clear as day. The eels fans singing bring on the broncos with about 15 mins to go

Janice

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We were at the game as well, even made it to the tv when Pollamounter kicked the field goal in extra time. The parramatta supporters behind us ( still remember their names.. Pam and Sue) wanted to buy their GF tickets before the game even started. They said we’ve waited 13years for this, after the game I said “looks like your going to be waiting another 13years”.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We were at the game as well, even made it to the tv when Pollamounter kicked the field goal in extra time. The parramatta supporters behind us ( still remember their names.. Pam and Sue) wanted to buy their GF tickets before the game even started. They said we’ve waited 13years for this, after the game I said “looks like your going to be waiting another 13years”.

You were being rather optimistic now weren't you??????

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to be sitting next to the players enclosure with club officials that day...10 minutes before full time we were depressed not knowing that about 30 minutes later we would have witnessed one of the great Bulldog moments.
That series was a very uniting club moment that still stands to this day...Polly, Relf, Silver, Halligan on and on they were all superb

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
Great day!

I was 14 but still remember it crystal clear!

A few thousand Bulldog supporters left after that Shane W try (Set up by Dymock) hahaha bad mistake by those bandwagoners (Let me explain) I Literally went to every game in NSW that year, just being in the Prelim was a proud moment for every supporter, any true supporter was proud of the boys even with a loss and wanted to stay till the end, let's get something straight on paper we had an average team.

Anyways I remember a group of around 6 Bulldog supporters in front of me giving one Parramatta fan $50 each after the Eels last try at the end of the game the Parra supporter gave it back along with another $50 on top HAHAHA.

The best part was we did the exact same thing in the Reserve grade GF the next weekend, Shifty Sherwin nailed a goal on full time to beat Parramatta after making a comeback.

bulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Awesome day, I was there with my Tigers supporting brother and my best mate who's an Eels fan, the Dogs supporter behind us was devastated towards the end because he had thrown his life savings on the Dogs - never seen anyone so happy as him at full-time, he was screaming and grabbing everyone around him in a bear hug, including my parra supporting mate.

Watching the recording after I got home was awesome too, you can hear Sterlos heart breaking.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Read this as you're having a beer tonight watching 2 cheating teams play. I hope it makes you feel better that we are not there this year.

Still one of my most memorable days in my life. I remember the whole day like it was yesterday and that is rare considering the amount I drank that day/night, and since. Remember catching a train in and walking from Central with my mate Brett and meeting up at the front gate with another mate Bobby and his mate from work who had the tickets. We sat on the 20m line right behind where Halligan kicked the 20 all conversion from. I actually don't remember the game at all, just the lead up to the game, including the previous 3 weeks games that I went to against Saints (Kogarah), Norths (North Sydney), and Newcastle (SFS), and the events of the day.

It started with us hearing the cheering form outside as Duncan MacRae was tearing Parramatta a new one in the reserve grade final in the pre match. The Bulldogs came from behind in the reserve grade game against Parra too, to win. I remember Bobby's mate wanted to leave with 20 to go, like quite a few other fans did, and I still to this day don't know what it was, but I remember saying, don't leave guys, we've got this. I actually meant it and really believed we would win. Perhaps its was the 10 full strength beers (wish they still sold these at footy games), perhaps it was the fact that we just done the same thing in reserve grade the game before, perhaps it was just pure blind faith. Then the comeback happened and the rest is history.

We went to Coogee Bay Hotel after the game and drank another thousand beers and partied all night. After that we went straight to Hurstville Westfields and lined up at Myer ticketek (oh don't you miss the days before the internet) to buy grand final tickets, not having been home yet. I remember calling my boss and telling him I'm not coming in to work because I am still drunk and in the line buying grand final tickets. I told him I'm taking a sickie. My first day off since I had worked there (2 years). Despite this when I went in to work on the Tuesday he called me in to his office and told me he would take the day out of my holiday leave as I was not sick. I told him to get fucked and went to his boss and asked for a transfer. The State Manager was a big Manly fan and we would have bets for a $2 scratchie in our head to head games. He actually loved me and used to affectionately refer to me as his little Wog Boy (oh don't you miss the days before all this PC bullshit). I was just a kid fresh out of Uni in my first job, and he was in his 60's at the time. He promoted me to the same level as the manager who screwed me over, that same day and gave me a company car. I still lost the leave day though but fuck it was so worth it, even without the promotion.

I still go to the footy with my mate Brett and last month when we smashed Saints at Kogarah we partied till 3 in the morning and actually debated whether that 38-0 in the context of the season we have had this year, is better than that Parra semi final. It was a great debate while we smashed the pokies at Saints Leagues in our Bulldogs clothes all night, being loud and obnoxious every time a saints fan walked past. It was a close call, but that is more to do with our hatred of Saints than anything else. I never seen Bobby's mate again and probably wouldn't remember him if I did, but I did bump into Bobby again about a year ago as I was filling petrol up in the Costco servo, and he was with a workmate and he retold the whole story of that day to his workmate and said that I was the only believer among our group and to this day it is the best day of his life because I convinced him to stay.

Now you tell me. How can I ever support another club after that? I love my Doggies. I so hope my 9 year old son gets to have days like this when he is older with his mates. I took him to the Dragons game last month (missus picked him up after it so I could go out celebrating) and we were at the Warriors game also the week before to witness that field goal win, so these 2 games should hopefully start cementing him as a lifelong fan. Kids are fickle though these days and I'm afraid without a grand final win anytime soon I may lose him. Especially after Desball. That would burn me. Especially if he chose Saints as we live in the St George area. I was lucky enough that I was a kid in the 80's when the Bulldogs were the best. I do feel good about the direction we are heading in now though since we punted Des and let a few players go, and feel like happy days are not too far ahead. Go the Doggies!!!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Read this as you're having a beer tonight watching 2 cheating teams play. I hope it makes you feel better that we are not there this year.

Still one of my most memorable days in my life. I remember the whole day like it was yesterday and that is rare considering the amount I drank that day/night, and since. Remember catching a train in and walking from Central with my mate Brett and meeting up at the front gate with another mate Bobby and his mate from work who had the tickets. We sat on the 20m line right behind where Halligan kicked the 20 all conversion from. I actually don't remember the game at all, just the lead up to the game, including the previous 3 weeks games that I went to against Saints (Kogarah), Norths (North Sydney), and Newcastle (SFS), and the events of the day.

It started with us hearing the cheering form outside as Duncan MacRae was tearing Parramatta a new one in the reserve grade final in the pre match. The Bulldogs came from behind in the reserve grade game against Parra too, to win. I remember Bobby's mate wanted to leave with 20 to go, like quite a few other fans did, and I still to this day don't know what it was, but I remember saying, don't leave guys, we've got this. I actually meant it and really believed we would win. Perhaps its was the 10 full strength beers (wish they still sold these at footy games), perhaps it was the fact that we just done the same thing in reserve grade the game before, perhaps it was just pure blind faith. Then the comeback happened and the rest is history.

We went to Coogee Bay Hotel after the game and drank another thousand beers and partied all night. After that we went straight to Hurstville Westfields and lined up at Myer ticketek (oh don't you miss the days before the internet) to buy grand final tickets, not having been home yet. I remember calling my boss and telling him I'm not coming in to work because I am still drunk and in the line buying grand final tickets. I told him I'm taking a sickie. My first day off since I had worked there (2 years). Despite this when I went in to work on the Tuesday he called me in to his office and told me he would take the day out of my holiday leave as I was not sick. I told him to get fucked and went to his boss and asked for a transfer. The State Manager was a big Manly fan and we would have bets for a $2 scratchie in our head to head games. He actually loved me and used to affectionately refer to me as his little Wog Boy (oh don't you miss the days before all this PC bullshit). I was just a kid fresh out of Uni in my first job, and he was in his 60's at the time. He promoted me to the same level as the manager who screwed me over, that same day and gave me a company car. I still lost the leave day though but fuck it was so worth it, even without the promotion.

I still go to the footy with my mate Brett and last month when we smashed Saints at Kogarah we partied till 3 in the morning and actually debated whether that 38-0 in the context of the season we have had this year, is better than that Parra semi final. It was a great debate while we smashed the pokies at Saints Leagues in our Bulldogs clothes all night, being loud and obnoxious every time a saints fan walked past. It was a close call, but that is more to do with our hatred of Saints than anything else. I never seen Bobby's mate again and probably wouldn't remember him if I did, but I did bump into Bobby again about a year ago as I was filling petrol up in the Costco servo, and he was with a workmate and he retold the whole story of that day to his workmate and said that I was the only believer among our group and to this day it is the best day of his life because I convinced him to stay.

Now you tell me. How can I ever support another club after that? I love my Doggies. I so hope my 9 year old son gets to have days like this when he is older with his mates. I took him to the Dragons game last month (missus picked him up after it so I could go out celebrating) and we were at the Warriors game also the week before to witness that field goal win, so these 2 games should hopefully start cementing him as a lifelong fan. Kids are fickle though these days and I'm afraid without a grand final win anytime soon I may lose him. Especially after Desball. That would burn me. Especially if he chose Saints as we live in the St George area. I was lucky enough that I was a kid in the 80's when the Bulldogs were the best. I do feel good about the direction we are heading in now though since we punted Des and let a few players go, and feel like happy days are not too far ahead. Go the Doggies!!!
Good one mate. We are heading in the right direction with the playing roster and gameplan.

If we can get some spine and leadership from our Admin and professionally defend ourselves and act smart, we can rise again no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.